Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Just took out my new Trike, forks seem loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just took out my new Trike, forks seem loose

While riding the side streets and getting familiar with the new Trike, It felt like the front end was wobley or forks loose or front tire.? Maybe it was the road with pot holes etc. or just me. I will check the front end for tightness. I would hate to be going down the road at 50 mph and have this wobble. Another thing was these things don't go slow. Coming out of first gear, seems like after the clutch was out, I was moving over 15 mph. When letting out the clutch, the engine would almost die, so I had to give more throttle. The left side of the gear case, I guess it is called the primary chain case, sounded like something was banging around. I hate to prejudge this thing, I know Harleys were known for not being quit or smooth like a bmw, but I guess I will run it through the paces for awhile. Let me know what you guys think about your Trikes. Would help to give me some peace of mind.
Thanks, No ball breaking , but I can take it.
Al

Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
While riding the side streets and getting familiar with the new Trike, It felt like the front end was wobley or forks loose or front tire.? Maybe it was the road with pot holes etc. or just me. I will check the front end for tightness. I would hate to be going down the road at 50 mph and have this wobble. Another thing was these things don't go slow. Coming out of first gear, seems like after the clutch was out, I was moving over 15 mph. When letting out the clutch, the engine would almost die, so I had to give more throttle. The left side of the gear case, I guess it is called the primary chain case, sounded like something was banging around. I hate to prejudge this thing, I know Harleys were known for not being quit or smooth like a bmw, but I guess I will run it through the paces for awhile. Let me know what you guys think about your Trikes. Would help to give me some peace of mind.
Al
If anything, my 2012 feels very solid. You should not have a sense of loose or wobbling front end.

Yes, first gear winds out pretty fast. In fact, be careful twisting the throttle in first gear on tight turns. Learned this the hard way as the weight comes off the font tire and it can easily break loose.

The engine top end can kind of sound like an old Singer sewing machine. But, it does not seem normal to have a clinking around sound coming from the primary.

Sounds lie a visit to your dealer is in order.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

As for the sound at the chain case. Hard to tell without hearing it, but is it the same when just starting out cold? The reason I ask is as the lube warms you will hear more sound, but there have been some chain tensioner piston sticks. Before I took delivery of my 13, the dealer had to tear down and replace the pistons. I never even heard the sound, but they said it was obvious to them the tensioner piston had not returned causing chain slap. Of coarse then I was thinking I always heard something until I realized when cold, it was quiet, then as it warmed up it had the normal sound of a Harley. I rode 2 other Tri-Glides to convince myself. If it make same sound at cold, take it to the dealer and ensure they investigate chain tensioners.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Noise and description sounds a bit like your lugging it? In a gear to high for speed? Engine almost stalling and rattle in primary sounds just like that?
Just thinking
Hap

Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM
piney
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noise from primary could also be the compensator, had that problem on my 11. does it make a clank noise when you shut the engine off?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

The compensator has the latest style, not the same as the earlier TG versions. Primary chain slap could be due to the new tensioner. It is spring loaded with a set of saw teeth. The more you get on and off the gas the more the tensioner adjusts up to the next tooth. That's the tensioner in the center of the picture.

Once you get more miles on the TG and adjust how to ride it you will have a few funny noises go away.

Don't be shy... keep the throttle up. As said above, if the motor wants to die then you need more throttle. They don't like anything under 2000 RPM's. 2500 is a decent cruising range and 3000 will be her sweat spot. Shift at 4000 in lower gears until you get to speed. This is good for the break in period. After that your shifting RPM's will become second nature.

If you feel the front end as still loose after you get 500 miles on her then visit the dealer with the complaint. No need to be nervous about the TG.. She's heavy and tough and likes to be man handled.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM
mohd rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14 dont feel as solid as my 12 did its not lose but it is different hard to explain.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by mohd rider
My 14 dont feel as solid as my 12 did its not lose but it is different hard to explain.
That's because the tripple tree/forks are different in 14. Upgrade for 14. It is yet to be determined if it is a better upgrade. You 14 guys keep us in the loop please.

This upgrade will not be an upgrade option for the earlier years since the neck on the frame is also different.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Al
If you are feeling the front end shake a little at slow speed, like when you go over small bumps in the road, that is called head shake. At 50 mph it should be solid as a rock. Keep rpms above 2000 no matter what gear you are in and shift up at 3000 or so. Primary chain might not be self adjusting its self yet, but it should as you put some miles on it.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for input, I have big feet

It all makes sense, went out today and got some miles and 2000 is max when breaking in for 500 miles. Easy to hit 3K. Runs and feels great at 2000 rpms. 1st gear will keep me around 15 mph or so.
I have size 13 boots and keep missing the shifter and have to point inward and back to not hit the fairing, also hit fairing on right side and almost missed a stop because I pressed on the lower portion of the fairing. Having trouble with finding the sweet spot for my foot so I can press on the brake pedal. I will have to get that with practice. Another 4 to 8 hours at least, I think I will feel comfortable on the bike. I just don't like people riding on my ***. 2 times I GOT ON IT BECAUSE I FELT I WAS HOLDING BACK TRAFFIC BUT I WAS IN A RESIDENTIAL AND FELT 25 30 WAS OK, BUT SOME PEOPLE JUST LIKE TO PUSH YOU. oN THE OTHER HAND MAYBE THEY WANT to see a close up of my Trike.

Last edited by Bucket list Trike; 03-14-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Just took out my new Trike, forks seem loose