Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:52 PM
BIG JIM 54
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought about trading our 13 in for a 14...will follow with interest...congrats on the new trike... jim

Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!! Beautiful color choice... even if red is the fastest...

I'm sure that most of the members here will be anxious to hear where your next adventure will take you. Alaska will be a tough act to follow!!

Impressive list of mods that you have planned for the trike - especially the installation of the comfort lifts. I highly recommend that you contact DK for those... Oh wait... And you can probably work a pretty good discount with yourself as well...

Wishing you both a million safe miles of Tri-Gliding!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Sounds like a good plan...but if you install the heated gear wires now, you won't need them for a long time, don't and it'll turn cold early...like no rain gear, RAIN! Pack it, no rain.
You have a point there!

Originally Posted by BIG JIM 54
thought about trading our 13 in for a 14...will follow with interest...congrats on the new trike... jim
Thank you!

Originally Posted by 8Crow
Congrats on the new ride!! Beautiful color choice... even if red is the fastest...

I'm sure that most of the members here will be anxious to hear where your next adventure will take you. Alaska will be a tough act to follow!!

Impressive list of mods that you have planned for the trike - especially the installation of the comfort lifts. I highly recommend that you contact DK for those... Oh wait... And you can probably work a pretty good discount with yourself as well...

Wishing you both a million safe miles of Tri-Gliding!
I thought black was the fastest! lol

Yeah, no monster trips like the Arctic Circle this year, but we should have some really nice (shorter) ones.

Yeah, it is a long list, but mostly stuff that was already on the '11. I left the prototype Comfort Lifts on the '11, so this afternoon the plan is to put a new pair on the '14, along with a few others things on the list.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Initial Ride Report-

Yesterday I put another 140 miles on it. About 10 of them on the interstate, the rest on winding country roads. Some hills, lots of sweepers, and a few twistys.

Ambient temp varied between 82 and 90 degrees.

I need to get the floorboards pushed out and my highway pegs with heel rests installed, not used to having my feet so tucked in.

Even though I stayed below 3500 rpm and did not get heavy with the throttle, there is Definitely More Power out of this engine!

I don't have the Power Vision hooked up yet, so was not able to monitor the engine temp. However, the radiator fans only kicked in once, and that was when I stopped during the ride and let the engine idle for about 5 minutes in a parking lot.

Once it was heat soaked, the oil temps ranged between 260-270 (at the dipstick), which is too hot for my liking, we'll see how much those drop after doing some of the other mods. If they don't get down in the 230 area, I will be looking for a place to mount an oil cooler.

The heavier front forks definite improved the handling over previous years...not that it was bad before, it is just better now...and even better after getting the Comfort Lift Kit installed today!

The stereo sound is better too!

Spent 3 hours yesterday afternoon washing it and using the glare polish.

Paint- When it is cloudy it looks like a navy blue color, when the sun hits it, it really pops with all the flake!

With the Canbus system, all the wiring under the seat is much more tidy.

I found myself actually using the parking brake...on the '11 it was not worth the hassle (plus it did not work all that well). This new set-up is easy and intuitive, and seems to work better.

My habit of parking in gear also has me starting in gear...takes a bit getting used to that I have to pull the clutch in AND put on the brakes to get it to crank over.

Should be getting some of the mods done today, will be taking pics and posting tonight or tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

This is what I got done today-

Rolled it out in the sun to get some pics of the paint. I guess I should have asked Mary to take the pics, lol, you can see the flake, but it really looks a lot better in person than any of the pics I took.

Here is how the passenger footboard came, at the highest adjustment-

I put it on the lowest adjustment (1.5" lower)...now the two higher adjustment holes are showing...one with rust in it already. Will be picking up some plugs to go in those holes.

Next I installed Marys' Kury adjustable passenger pegs. She uses these a LOT.

Next I pulled the wheels, Mary cleaned them and taped them off. I then gave them 4 coats of clear. They are drying over night and I'll put them back on tomorrow. Hopefully we'll never have to look at, or clean any more stains off them.

Next I installed the Comfort Lift Kit. This gets the back end 1.6" higher off the ground at the exhaust, and gives a much nicer ride.

Next up was getting rid of the stock linkage, which is just plain looking, plus, it is not if it will fail, but when.

Replaced it with one of our Chrome linkages that has heim joints (that won't fail).

Last thing I did today was install the Wards Parts Werks FCS fans.

Will be doing some more over the next week, and will update this thread as I go.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 AM
ELVISTO
Cruiser

Great job on the wheels Kevin, that'll make one hell of a difference when cleaning,
And I do like the colour ,the tank pic with the blue and white pinstripe looks amazing,
And yes you're right Mary should've taken the pics, but thanks for the update etc,

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 AM
jlgale
Tourer

Kevin congrats on the new ride! And yes Blue Pearl/Vivid Black IS the fastest
What is this "clear" you put on your wheels and is it necessary to take them off first? Will it work on a bike that has been ridden for a couple of years? Thanks and happy riding!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Initial Ride Report-

Yesterday I put another 140 miles on it. About 10 of them on the interstate, the rest on winding country roads. Some hills, lots of sweepers, and a few twistys.

Ambient temp varied between 82 and 90 degrees.

I need to get the floorboards pushed out and my highway pegs with heel rests installed, not used to having my feet so tucked in.

Even though I stayed below 3500 rpm and did not get heavy with the throttle, there is Definitely More Power out of this engine!

I don't have the Power Vision hooked up yet, so was not able to monitor the engine temp. However, the radiator fans only kicked in once, and that was when I stopped during the ride and let the engine idle for about 5 minutes in a parking lot.

Once it was heat soaked, the oil temps ranged between 260-270 (at the dipstick), which is too hot for my liking, we'll see how much those drop after doing some of the other mods. If they don't get down in the 230 area, I will be looking for a place to mount an oil cooler.

The heavier front forks definite improved the handling over previous years...not that it was bad before, it is just better now...and even better after getting the Comfort Lift Kit installed today!

The stereo sound is better too!

Spent 3 hours yesterday afternoon washing it and using the glare polish.

Paint- When it is cloudy it looks like a navy blue color, when the sun hits it, it really pops with all the flake!

With the Canbus system, all the wiring under the seat is much more tidy.

I found myself actually using the parking brake...on the '11 it was not worth the hassle (plus it did not work all that well). This new set-up is easy and intuitive, and seems to work better.

My habit of parking in gear also has me starting in gear...takes a bit getting used to that I have to pull the clutch in AND put on the brakes to get it to crank over.

Should be getting some of the mods done today, will be taking pics and posting tonight or tomorrow.
Kevin,

You may end up having to make your own floorboard extensions. I did some research yesterday and the company that used to make them, Harley Goodies (now V-twin Goodies) says that their extensions won't fit the 2014 (parking brake issue). I don't know if the MOCO makes them or not.

Bubba

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM
boot1
Advanced

Kevin, nice ride!! Just happens to be the same as mine.
I still have the mascot and need to give it to someone who can get it moving again. I have been in the hospital ( Ok now bad ticker ) and did not do the ride.

I have a Clear view large tinted recurve that i am replacing with taller wind shield. I am 6'2" and need another inch or two. Would be willing to part with for a good price.

I love my TriGlide and just passed 60,000 on three wheels. 2008 CSC Goldwing, 2009 TriGlide and my 2014 TriGlide. Vast improvements over 2009.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
Great job on the wheels Kevin, that'll make one hell of a difference when cleaning,
And I do like the colour ,the tank pic with the blue and white pinstripe looks amazing,
And yes you're right Mary should've taken the pics, but thanks for the update etc,
Thanks!

Yes, she takes much better pics than I do.

Originally Posted by jlgale
Kevin congrats on the new ride! And yes Blue Pearl/Vivid Black IS the fastest
What is this "clear" you put on your wheels and is it necessary to take them off first? Will it work on a bike that has been ridden for a couple of years? Thanks and happy riding!
Thank you. It is rattle can rust-oleum acrylic enamel, Gloss Crystal Clear. I hope that it holds up, only time will tell. Can't think of any reason why it would not work on a bike a couple of years old. Just needs to be cleaned well to get any stains out, then cleaned with alcohol and a tack cloth.

Originally Posted by Bubba49
Kevin,

You may end up having to make your own floorboard extensions. I did some research yesterday and the company that used to make them, Harley Goodies (now V-twin Goodies) says that their extensions won't fit the 2014 (parking brake issue). I don't know if the MOCO makes them or not.

Bubba
Yes, that is what I've found when researching also. Hopefully will be getting this done by next weekend.

Originally Posted by boot1
Kevin, nice ride!! Just happens to be the same as mine.
I still have the mascot and need to give it to someone who can get it moving again. I have been in the hospital ( Ok now bad ticker ) and did not do the ride.

I have a Clear view large tinted recurve that i am replacing with taller wind shield. I am 6'2" and need another inch or two. Would be willing to part with for a good price.

I love my TriGlide and just passed 60,000 on three wheels. 2008 CSC Goldwing, 2009 TriGlide and my 2014 TriGlide. Vast improvements over 2009.
Hi Boot! Sorry to hear that. Give me a call if you want me to pick it up and get it moving again. Also, we can talk about your recurve then.

Hope you are feeling better quickly!

Quick Reply: Ongoing '14 Tri-Glide build-out, lots of pics, & thoughts on the differences