Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

EITMS Rear Cylinder Deactivated?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default EITMS Rear Cylinder Deactivated?

Been reading various forums this morning regarding the rear cylinder "activation" or shut-down at high temps. During a 4th parade locally, it was hot out and my air temp gauge reading 100+. Engine was really hot during stop-go, idle movement. Noticed the rear cylinder shut-off wasn't kicking in...Engine was really, really hot and both legs felt like they were burnt. I tried the backward throttle, forward throttle routine this morning....nothing. I read where the cruise control icon comes on in amber color, then green if EITMS is activated. Nothing shows up. Is there an indicator that shows deactivation? Assume the trike on switch is turned to "on"...but does the engine need to be running. Removal of cat converter have something to do with the rear-cylinder deactivation? Does the SE tuner have to be remapped? Or, the dealer have to activate? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

There is a procedure in the owner's manual to enable/disable EITMS. Depending upon the year of your trike EITMS is based upon speed and cylinder head temperature or in later models(Rushmore) ambient temperature. It is designed as designated Engine Idle Temperature Management System. So, it only activates at idle or less than 5MPH. It has a different sound when it comes on.

If you spend a lot of time in traffic in hot conditions, you may want to consider one of the external fans. I have the Wards FCS fans, and I believe they have reduced my maximum oil temperature by about 30 degrees.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

I understand the procedure for activating the rear cylinder shut-off....my question is if the shut-down was ON prior to the parade, why did it not shut down the rear cylinder when the ambient temp (asphalt) was 100*??

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

To turn it on or off, roll the throttle forward and hold it there until the cruise control light comes on, then let the throttle return to it's normal position. Amber means you have turned it off / Green means you have turned it on. If it is amber, do it again and it will turn green. If that doesn't work bring it back to the dealer and have them enable it.

Not sure how the SE tuner works but in the Power Vision there is a setting to enable the activation temperature. Mine is set for 284*. Some over ride the EITMS by setting the temp to 500* (doesn't make sense to me).

Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

[QUOTE=BinIdaho;12953926]I understand the procedure for activating the rear cylinder shut-off....my question is if the shut-down was ON prior to the parade, why did it not shut down the rear cylinder when the ambient temp (asphalt) was 100*??[/QUOTE]

Barb... since it uses temp sensing it may not have been hot enough to skip fire the rear cylinder but hot enough to make you very uncomfortable.

Tuner has nothing to do with it unless you are flashing a tune. EITMS is either on or off, works or doesn't.

Oh... if you had a bad temp sensor your bike would run like crap so count that out as well.

Oil level at or below the ADD mark will make for a hot idling bike too.

If you guys haven't already figured it out yet this summer will be a butt roaster. Get those external fans on and keep them running.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks all for your responses. Delta: I was turning the throttle to "off" right position....will try forward. Thanks Wiz.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

If I had read the manual first (no, I'm not blond anymore) was so simple to activate! Now it's too hot to go for a test ride!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Never ends, right? Hot, hot, hot. Better than cold rain...

Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
If I had read the manual first (no, I'm not blond anymore) was so simple to activate! Now it's too hot to go for a test ride!
I don't understand, don't you want it to be hot to test the EITMS??

Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerbum
I don't understand, don't you want it to be hot to test the EITMS??
lol....Yes and no bikerbum!!! I do know it works, but not in 100* temps right now.