Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   Harley's new windshield mount mirrors review (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1029036-harleys-new-windshield-mount-mirrors-review.html)

FuzzyWuzHe 02-25-2015 01:02 PM

Harley's new windshield mount mirrors review

Okay ... first off they're pricy ... $300, but what that Harley sells isn't? When you factor cost of windshield trim $129, Mirrors with Long Stem $80 ... it's not that bad. (notice how I rationalized that)

Instillation was easy, 20 minutes. Fasteners for the mirrors to the mount have thread lock on them already (yellow). The mirrors screw into the mount, then a lock set screw (thread lock on these too - yellow) holds them there. All in all, pretty solid.

Mount is made of cast and stamped metal, no plastic here. Fasteners for the mount are chromed and have rubber spacers that hold the screws to the mount if you remove it later and keep the mount from scratching the paint underneath.

Mirrors are like those on some cvo's ... tear drop that ends at a point. I'd bet my Tom Nicks pocket knife that in the very near future, Harley will offer different mirror styles, skulls, flames etc. (did I just date myself? ... naw)

Finish is up to Harley's rep for chrome. Very good. Mirrors seem to be of good optic quality, no distortion that I could see.

As a large guy (6'1", 275#), these mirrors are far enough out and up to allow clear view past my bulk. They are also mounted higher than stock so you can sneak a peek behind you without really taking you eyes off the road. I did get a slight vibration at 80 mph in the right mirror, but there is an adjustment on the back of the mirror to tighten them. I did tighten them, they were real loose but have not been back on the highway to retest.

Overall ... I think they are worth the money. I'm still debating how they look on the bike. I think I'll get used to it, still very new, but then again I got used to looking in the mirror every day.

I've enclosed some pics ... in one you can see me in both mirrors taking the pic (brace yourself) from behind the tour pak ... they were adjusted to allow me to see behind me on the bike and even very close to the tour pak, I'm clearly visible in both.

I think the only downside might be they will probably be a major bug catcher ... but so were the long stems and I can see way better behind me. I really like that the bars are now very clean .. now to find a drink holder that mounts somewhere else I like as much as the butler.

Part #56000091 Windshield Trim Tapered Mirror Kit $149.95
Part# 57400254 Windshield Trim Mirror Mounting Kit $149.95

FuzzyWuzHe 02-25-2015 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics

jdunn01 02-25-2015 01:06 PM

Might be an option for folks who change their bars

FuzzyWuzHe 02-25-2015 01:08 PM

One thing I forgot to mention ... they only fit the 2014's and above.

sloufoot 02-26-2015 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe (Post 13745364)
One thing I forgot to mention ... they only fit the 2014's and above.

And for the windshield mount mirrors to fit '13 & down Kuryakyn has those from $199-$279:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/221...ounted-mirrors

ultratc 02-26-2015 08:00 AM

is the Harley one 3 pieces across the front? If so, do they fit good and tight?

FuzzyWuzHe 02-26-2015 01:47 PM

Yes ... they are ... the fit is excellent ... after I tightened the mirrors adjuster, I got almost no vibration ... the same as mounted to the hand control. I think they need to be three piece to allow for minor adjustments.

Lilman 02-26-2015 01:59 PM

I'll have to add these to my list. Had the Kuryakyn ones on my Ultra and loved them over the stock bar mounted ones.

Surprised Kuryakyn or some other after market manufacturer isn't making them also.

FuzzyWuzHe 02-26-2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lilman (Post 13749093)
I'll have to add these to my list. Had the Kuryakyn ones on my Ultra and loved them over the stock bar mounted ones.

Surprised Kuryakyn or some other after market manufacturer isn't making them also.

Kuryakyn is slow in product development ... they make sure they get it right ... Harley had a head start ... they knew the dimensions of the new faring.

NHBAGGER 02-26-2015 06:09 PM

Asked Kuryakyn about it and they said they had no plans to make them for 14/15 at this time.