Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models-151/)
-   -   2015 tri glide Trike lift kit install issues, help (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-rg3-and-freewheeler-models/1138592-2015-tri-glide-trike-lift-kit-install-issues-help.html)

Lil' Sumpin Sumpin BD 09-24-2016 07:35 PM

2015 tri glide Trike lift kit install issues, help

I have DK lift kit for my 2015 tri glide and have spent all day trying to install. Stopped after 8 hours and tried to reinstall original bracket. I had no luck. I can't get rear shocks to compress enough to attach. Has anyone installed lifts on trike ? If so, how did u compress the rear shocks?? Next step is to tow to dealership and pay them to correct my inexperience.

desertclassic 09-24-2016 10:12 PM

Welcome, not being there makes it hard to know where the issue may be. Make sure you deflated the air shocks. I know that I had to play with the jack a bit to get everything to align. Give the shop a call on Monday and they will insure that everything is in order. They are super people to deal with.

Moe55 09-24-2016 11:08 PM

Like desertclassic said make sure there is no air in the shocks. Small bottle jack under the shock should compress it enough.

iaff84 09-25-2016 07:48 AM

Make sure to remove both stock ones before attempting to install new ones. Also, if the brackets have a welded nut on them, you can use a box-end wrench on it to help rotate new bracket into position.

MikeyTX 09-25-2016 08:31 AM

Exactly why I paid the labor to have my dealer do it from the get go ............. ymmv

scuba1954 09-25-2016 01:35 PM

It has been a while since I put them on my 14 trike. Make sure you do not have both mounting bolts bolted to the trike. Instructions say only use one of the holes this allows the bracket to pivot down far enough to bolt the shock to the bracket then use a jack under the bracket to raise the bracket back up to allow it to pivot in place until the second hole lines up to insert the second mounting bolt. I assume you do have the rear axle hanging all the way down.

lah2420 09-25-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by iaff84 (Post 15541612)
Make sure to remove both stock ones before attempting to install new ones.

This is what I ran into. When the directions told me to remove BOTH stock brackets, they knew what they were talking about. As soon as I removed the other side, both lift brackets bolted right up. Assuming you let all the air out too.

Lil' Sumpin Sumpin BD 09-25-2016 08:42 PM

Figured it out

All, thanks for some on-site and suggestions. I went to dealership today to ask the Bayside Harley maintenance shop for cost to correct my mistakes. After explaining what I did and where I was in the repair, the shop manager - Chip - and he new exactly what I did , or was doing wrong. So due to my inexperience, I installed my jack stands in the wrong spot and I was stopping the 'swing arm' from "swinging". Once I placed the jack stands correctly the swing arm moved freely and the bolts lined up so perfectly. I was done in like 10 mins after that. Took longer to put my tires back on. Bayside Harley maintenance manager saved me so much time and money and took his time to explain what I was doing wrong. He even showed me on a shop trike exactly where to place my jacks and what should happen if done right. Thanks again for all suggestions and help.

lah2420 09-25-2016 08:49 PM

Thanks for updating. It's always good to add another bit of information to our "database" here.

Casper 09-27-2016 07:04 AM

Glad you got it worked out, sounds like a dozen donuts are in order for the shop....