Vance & Hines Vance & Hines is product design and manufacturing company that produces high quality, high margin Performance Products within the Powersports industry.

Faulty V&H FP3 won't keep reliable bluetooth connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 PM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Faulty V&H FP3 won't keep reliable bluetooth connection

I am posting this in the Vance & Hines section as I am at my wits end trying to get this faulty FP3 to work.

I tried calling but unless I hook up the FP3 to my bike again and go through everything I have already done multiple times Vance & Hines is not willing to do anything.

I have run my battery low enough times already and batteries only have so many cycles before they go bad. I have been trying to workout this faulty FP3 Bluetooth connection thing since September 21, just shy of one month.

I have tried three different devices, two android and one apple all three have the same issue, unreliable Bluetooth connection with all three dropping the Bluetooth connection.

All three devices have a strong internet connection, two connect only through WiFi while the Sony smart phone will connect through either WiFi or 4G LTE to the internet. I have tried the Sony both on WiFi and just 4G LTE.

I know others have posted that they have had their FP3 replaced due to a faulty Bluetooth chip set in the FP3. I have to believe that is the problem with mine as well.

All three devices will connect to other Bluetooth devices with no problem and do not loose connection to include the Harley boom radio system on my bike. I have made sure that none of the devices are trying to connect to the Harley boom radio by deleting them from the boom radio. None of them currently attempt to connect to the Harley radio.

My internet connection is strong on all three devices on WiFi and the Sony smart phone is also strong internet via 4G LTE on Verizon.

The three devices are:

1. Sony Xperia Z3v (android 4.4.4)

2. Samsung 7 inch tablet (android 4.2.2)

3. Apple iPod Touch 4 inch (ios 6.1.6)

All three have connected and flashed with the Sony and the Apple only completing this once and not being able to connect either of those two again as both of them lose the Bluetooth connection right away and will not allow you to advance into the menu of the FP3 after both completed one flash.

The Samsung tablet is the only one that I can now use and it is a complete fight trying to get a blue tooth connection long enough with it to complete a flash.

As for using the gauge function of the FP3 and software I can't because the FP3 won't keep a Bluetooth connection with either the Sony Xperia smart phone nor the Apple iPod touch. Both of these devices worked one time with the FP3 and that is it. They have not been able to connect with the FP3 long enough before they both drop the Bluetooth connection and you have to start over to do a second flash.

The Samsung you have to keep reconnecting and fighting the dropped Bluetooth connection until it will finally complete a flash. But the Bluetooth connection is so unreliable on the Samsung that you can't really trust it either.

Again all three have strong internet connections with strong signal strength be it WiFi on all three or 4G LTE on the Sony smart phone. All three devices are from different manufactures and suffer the same exact problem with dropping the Bluetooth connection with the FP3. All three devices work fine on Bluetooth connections with any other devices. Only when trying to connect to the Vance & Hines FP3 do any of these three devices have problems maintaining a Bluetooth connection.

It is clear the FP3 is faulty with a bad Bluetooth chip set and needs to be replaced. Vance & Hines the ball is in your court.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received the replacement FP3 and installed it on the bike, it works much better than the original FP3, I still get a dropped Bluetooth connection now and then but no where near like the original FP3 as it would drop the connection repeatedly to the point a flash would take as long as 40 minutes to complete. The sensor data mode was completely unusable with the original FP3 as well because it would connect and disconnect repeatedly every few seconds.

The only issue with the replacement is my iPod touch won't connect at all. I was only able to get the iPod touch to connect one time with the original FP3 but the replacement FP3 and the iPod touch won't connect at all.

I just tried my Samsung tablet just to try it and it connected first try. So in my case the android devices I have both are connecting while the iOS device won't connect at all.

Again I give the highest praise to Vance & Hines for them stepping and handling this. Mr. Chris Neely thank you again.

Last edited by BillJ; 10-21-2015 at 11:40 AM.