Vance & Hines Vance & Hines is product design and manufacturing company that produces high quality, high margin Performance Products within the Powersports industry.

Fuelpak PRO

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Default Fuelpak PRO

I recently asked a question in the Fuel Moto vendor forum about their plans for using the Fuelpak PRO cloud-based tuning system. Basically, Jamie stated, among other reasons, that the primary reason Fuel Moto would not be using this system is because the system doesn't integrate with the Dynojet chassis that they use and 99% of professional tuners use. Is it true that the system does not integrate with the Dynojet chassis? If so, why would V&H develop such a system in no one is going to use it? Here is the response I got from Jamie at Fuel Moto:

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
It's not that at all. Its related to the fact FP3 is app & cloud based, it does not integrate into any of the 3rd party tuning applications or with the Dynojet chassis dyno that 99% of professional tuning shops use. It's like taking your car to a mechanic and telling him he can't use his tools, equipment, or applications he developed over years of experience. The flip side is the FP3 does work well for a lot of riders as several have noted above however there is a huge difference between tuning a stage 1 type bike with exhaust/intake vs tuning a big bore combination with open exhaust, large injectors, etc.. The best advice I can give is to use the product the individual doing the tuning feels most comfortable using, the product you can get the best support on, and the product that has all of the features you need for the application you are tuning.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I recently asked a question in the Fuel Moto vendor forum about their plans for using the Fuelpak PRO cloud-based tuning system. Basically, Jamie stated, among other reasons, that the primary reason Fuel Moto would not be using this system is because the system doesn't integrate with the Dynojet chassis that they use and 99% of professional tuners use. Is it true that the system does not integrate with the Dynojet chassis? If so, why would V&H develop such a system in no one is going to use it? Here is the response I got from Jamie at Fuel Moto:
GalvTexGuy,

First off let me start off by stating that Jamie is an excellent tuner, and very well regarded here at the shop and throughout the industry. I feel that where most established tuners run into a road block with the FP3 device, and similarly to the Fuelpak Pro, is their perception of a lack of full dyno integration. But do keep in mind that the only system that really, truly, and completely is capable of integrating with the dyno is the PV, which is made by Dynojet...the same company that makes the dynos that almost everyone uses.

Since at the end of the day most tuning solutions don't fully integrate with the Power Core software, the reality is that their issue lies with the bluetooth and cloud based solution. Bluetooth has the perception of being slow in comparison to a wired setup, but the data transfer rates over bluetooth these days is insanely fast...faster than the refresh rates of the ECM in fact, and the newer BLE chips are amazing! We're actually going to be upgrading the FP3's bluetooth to a BLE, and it's gonna be awesome! The time saved by not unplugging a unit, plugging it into the pc, doing what I need to do to the tables, then plugging the bike back in and flashing it really adds up over time. The FP3's time to unlock an ECM, back up the OEM calibration (or whatever was on the ECM when it was plugged in), and flash the first map is much quicker and easier than loading licenses and exporting .txt or .stk files as well.

In regards to the cloud-based storage system, I think that some people love the idea, and some would rather store their files locally. I'm personally on the cloud based bandwagon for every file that I do here at work, and all of my personal photos/videos/files at home. I love the convenience of being able to access my files literally anywhere on the planet, like when I went camping in the Tetons last summer and was able to download movies for the kids on the fly to watch during the long road trip. The same is true for my mapping files, as I could literally flash anyone of my configured maps to any compatible bike I have an FP3 plugged into, anywhere on the planet. The amount of traveling I've been doing training dealers on the Fuelpak Pro has further enforced how nice it is to not have to worry about my maps, or bring along a usb stick that I could easily misplace or leave behind somewhere. That being said, every map uploaded to the Fuelpak Pro dealer servers is capable of being downloaded as a .map file and stored locally if that was the dealer's wish.

Really at this point in time it's simply another way to skin a cat. I took my background in dyno tuning, working as a service tech, running departments as a Service Manager, and running the V&H R&D/Engineering Testing Dept, and built out the hardware and software to be as user friendly as human possible. It's very easy to use, quick, accurate, and the installation is a breeze. I'm confident that the Fuelpak Pro can stand up against other tuning solutions, and it's a great solution for shops to be able to service the many current and new FP3 users.

Anywho, there's my long-winded rebuttal of sorts...though not really, because I recognize that people all have their opinions and new things can be scary...I get it. Remember it wasn't too long ago that all of our cell phones flipped open, and now the new phone in my pocket is probably more powerful than many dyno's 5-10 year old computers. The tech industry pushes forward year after year, and we plan on doing the same with our Fuelpak line. That may not be the most popular general opinion at this moment in time, but I'm more interested in 5-10 years from now, and pushing the boundaries of what can be done with the technology that is coming down the line.

Bryan
Brand Manager Electronics

The following 2 users liked this post by vanceandhines:
GalvTexGuy (05-17-2019), Weekender3 (09-16-2021)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I appreciate the capabilities of the FP3 and the fact that V&H is continually updating/upgrading the product, and a big plus is the service you all provide after the sale. Though, it is a bit disappointing to learn that the FP3 and Fuelpak PRO won't be used by a dyno tuner near me anytime soon. Oh, well, it is what it is. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Is there a list somewhere of what tuners have embraced the Fuelpak Pro? I might consider paying for a Dynotune if I could use what I already own.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:46 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
Is there a list somewhere of what tuners have embraced the Fuelpak Pro? I might consider paying for a Dynotune if I could use what I already own.
Based on this statement...

I feel that where most established tuners run into a road block with the FP3 device, and similarly to the Fuelpak Pro, is their perception of a lack of full dyno integration. But do keep in mind that the only system that really, truly, and completely is capable of integrating with the dyno is the PV, which is made by Dynojet...the same company that makes the dynos that almost everyone uses.

...I highly doubt there are any tuners who have embraced the Fuelpak PRO. I don't even know why V&H even bothered to spend the time and money to create it in the first place if it doesn't integrate with the DynoJet dynamometer. I wonder if they even use the Fuelpak PRO system on the V&H/H-D pro stock bikes.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
I currently have a list of the dealers that have registered for the Dealer Server, send me your info to FPPro@VanceandHines.com and I'll find someone near you.