Vendor For Sale Classifieds HDForums Sponsors/Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

***No More Mess Oil Changes + Cooler Running Motor***

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:55 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I've done this mod and highly recommend it. This eases the tedium and mess of OEM oil filter changes and provides a bit of engine cooling with no complicated plumbing or moving parts. A marginal increase in oil capacity aids with the cooling too.

You can totally ignore the counsel of folks who don't own permanent filters speculating on the nuisance factor of cleaning them. A quick disassembly, swish in soapy water, rinse and pat dry is all that is required and this can be done within minutes, as other oils continue to drain. Trace moisture in the reassembled filter is a total non-issue as it vaporizes away during your next ride. Check out YouTube and you'll see examples of serious flaws discovered within disposable filters, caught when filters were cut open for the making of videos. Is it safe to assume this happens with some regularity, rendering such filters useless, but they are just not caught on camera ? You get to see the guts of your permanent filter before you install it. Simply put, absolutely rated permanent filters filter oil much better too, ( a 35 micron rating in "absolute" terms is better than a 5 micron rating in "nominal" terms).

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-02-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HKMark23:
DK Custom - ST (07-03-2018), tar_snake (06-21-2023)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 AM
herbieg
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the S69 filter. Can this kit handle the size and weight of this filter? I mean the bracket that goes on the frame.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:13 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by herbieg
I have the S69 filter. Can this kit handle the size and weight of this filter? I mean the bracket that goes on the frame.
The bracket is very robust, clamping to the frame using 4 x 3/16" hex head screws and interlocking shims for use with various frame sizes. Thats a big ol filter which won't be far off the deck if you mount it vertically but other than that, the mount will support it no problem.

I mounted mine high as I could expecting this would be best in the interest of keeping possible flying road debris from impacting the now exposed filter. Frankly, this doesn't really seem to be an issue in reality but hell, a guy has to worry about something right ?

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-06-2018 at 08:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HKMark23:
herbieg (07-06-2018), tar_snake (06-21-2023)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 AM
herbieg
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your response. I appreciate. I just ordered it and I hope it comes with instructions especially the shims usage etc. I am not much mechanical, but trying 😀

Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
The bracket is very robust, clamping to the frame using 4 x 3/16" hex head screws and interlocking shims for use with various frame sizes. Thats a big ol filter which won't be far off the deck if you mount it vertically but other than that, the mount will support it no problem.

I mounted mine high as I could expecting this would be best in the interest of keeping possible flying road debris from impacting the now exposed filter. Frankly, this doesn't really seem to be an issue in reality but hell, a guy has to worry about something right ?

Thank you for posting!

Originally Posted by herbieg
Thanks for your response. I appreciate. I just ordered it and I hope it comes with instructions especially the shims usage etc. I am not much mechanical, but trying 😀
It comes with step-by-step instructions for installation but if you run into any problems, give us a call. We are always happy to help!

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

The following users liked this post:
herbieg (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 AM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Will the oil filter relocation kit fit on a 2018 Electra glide ultra classic with lowers?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

I've done this mod and highly recommend it. This eases the tedium and mess of OEM oil filter changes and provides a bit of engine cooling with no complicated plumbing or moving parts. A marginal increase in oil capacity aids with the cooling too.

You can totally ignore the counsel of folks who don't own permanent filters speculating on the nuisance factor of cleaning them. A quick disassembly, swish in soapy water, rinse and pat dry is all that is required and this can be done within minutes, as other oils continue to drain. Trace moisture in the reassembled filter is a total non-issue as it vaporizes away during your next ride. Check out YouTube and you'll see examples of serious flaws discovered within disposable filters, caught when filters were cut open for the making of videos. Is it safe to assume this happens with some regularity, rendering such filters useless, but they are just not caught on camera ? You get to see the guts of your permanent filter before you install it. Simply put, absolutely rated permanent filters filter oil much better too, ( a 35 micron rating in "absolute" terms is better than a 5 micron rating in "nominal" terms).
All oil filter elements are permeated with broken down oil product and microscopic metal particulate that is caught in the filters medium during the running and normal wear and tear of any combustion engine.

And your going to tell me a “ Swish in soapy water and a pat dry will do the trick ? “

I’ll stick to buying my throw away filters and when I do a change, And dump the filter, I know Im removing all the filtered waste from my bikes lubercating system with it.

Wiz 🍺

Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

All oil filter elements are permeated with broken down oil product and microscopic metal particulate that is caught in the filters medium during the running and normal wear and tear of any combustion engine.

And your going to tell me a “ Swish in soapy water and a pat dry will do the trick ?

I’ll stick to buying my throw away filters and when I do a change, And dump the filter, I know Im removing all the filtered waste from my bikes lubercating system with it.

Wiz 🍺
Thats what I'm telling you and its based upon the fact that I regularly do it. What was your experience with the things ? "Oh yes,,none" !

I don't sell these FYI and don't really care if anyone agrees with me or not. I do think its helpful to some folks who are legimately considering products such as these to hear of actual experiences and not just the opinions of those blessed with linear thought and devout confidence in the unseen.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (06-21-2023)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Thats what I'm telling you and its based upon the fact that I regularly do it. What was your experience with the things ? "Oh yes,,none" !

I don't sell these FYI and don't really care if anyone agrees with me or not. I do think its helpful to some folks who are legimately considering products such as these to hear of actual experiences and not just the opinions of those blessed with linear thought and devout confidence in the unseen.
I don’t need to experience getting hit by a car to know its going to hurt DOH 🙄

Wiz

Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Here's a REPORT LINK on Cooling Down Your Twim-Cam or M8.

Includes an entire list of different ways to cool your engine from less expensive to higher costs mods!

Quick Reply: ***No More Mess Oil Changes + Cooler Running Motor***