Vendor For Sale Classifieds HDForums Sponsors/Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

It's not a myth - Active Hydraulic Suspension is here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Glad I'm tall. Don't need to lower a bike. Always like to check out technology, though.
I agree........................

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great concept and product, but like everything that's new to the market, it's expensive. give it a year or more and price will be competitive.

a comparison:
back in the 90's cd players were over $100
in 2000 a ipod color was $600+ now they are all color and under $300
look at DVD player when they first came out, now they almost give them away

Thank you for becoming a new sponsor/vendor, I'm sure many people will buy your product.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Very nice, but I think it will be cost prohibitive for the masses. What are the details? what are the parameters that control the shocks? At what speed does it do whatever it does? Are there any user adjustable controls? What does it do besides adjust for ride height? What about compression and rebound? Theres a lot more to a good suspension than just not bottoming out. For that kind of money it needs to do more than just auto adjust ride height. Best of luck with the new product.
I still did not see an answer to fabrik8r question...about compression and rebound. basically it seems that it automatically adjusts height. But there are a lot of air ride systems out there that will do that with the touch of a button.

For me when it comes to performance components, "engine, suspension , lighting, windshield, seat" etc I prefer function over form first. So with suspension I want shocks or forks that perform ie. handling improvement not primarily ride height adjustment. So how would these perform regarding ride and handling compared to Ohlins, Werks, Terrycable, Progressive 440-940. Thats a lot more important to me than raising and lowering my bike.

Last edited by XARAN; 05-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad they don't fit Dyna's. But at least it's black.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 333 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by boom23
You should try to bring the cost down to under USD $2k. You will sell much more of them.
You might sell one of them.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

A leg transplant might be cheaper!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.........a bit to high for me and I can already reach the ground!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM
hdsuspension.com
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of great comments - here are the answers

Buy a used metric bike - interesting for sure. I guess the reality is that not everyone is looking for a one stop total solution. No more seat changes, no more slamming your ride giving up so much by doing so. I am not saying anything here by this but guys, there are those that would say - its too expensive at any price.

The shock does not fill up with AIR - that is the point - There is no AIR - it is completely Hydraulic. When the suspension travels up and down regardless - it never ever looses its full suspension capabilities. Air does not do this - When you are moving it is at full factory OEM height. Yes it raises and lowers you depending on your speed - That is a good thing! no bottoming out, but more importantly it gives you total control - god forbid you have a panic stop - The speed sensor in auto mode regulates the system. So if you lock er up - you will feel it dropping and you my friends are in total control. No weave, no OMG situations. Been there done it - it works.

When you are completely lowered as you would be in slow situations - it gives you better steering, no fighting worried about being too high. Been there done that - but no thanks hence why I went this route. Backing up your bike is easier as you are now lower and have a firm foot hold to do so. No tip toe crap.

Your feet touch the ground for those of us who are not over 6 feet. We all have various body shapes. It gives back the confidence to those who are looking to find a solution to slamming their bike to be able to touch the ground, thus giving up travel and always being fear full of bottoming out. Try and do high speed corners with your bike slammed! Cant honestly say what it is like however - This way high speed corners are no hassle whatsoever. You are at the OEM ride height - which is exactly what everyone wants. Far better control.

It costs more then it worth - Interesting for sure. When Harley brought out the CVO line-up there are those that could afford to go big, and those that could not. Many would love to ride around with a 110 or a 120 under their butt, but most of the bikes they sell are to those who want a bike period. A specific look perhaps but - drawing an analogy here - each of the shock manufacturers make various models - we do not - we only have one design that is tried tested and proven. Many people opt in for the most expensive Air shock they can buy - Why because in their mind it is worth the extra money or a buddy has them and says they are great - all good. Why would this be any different? This is a totally new design that works - period! It is not built for the masses either! Neither are Ferrari's

How many were SOLD to people from the company - Another great dig,
Not a single one - The first 50 units delivered and sold and tested are in the market with people of various financial circumstance. We have many a client who put on 45-50,000 per year. For the first two years it was being developed and tweaked by many. Last week we installed a set on a Sportster! and also a Dyna. Those that have tried it - absolutely love it. It is not a matter of NEED for many - it is more a matter of you know what, I am keeping my ride for years, I WANT what works for me. And should I trade my bike in I can take them with me to my new one.

Is the shock travel that same in high or low position - finally a really good question. Yes this design allows for you to maintain full suspension travel when fully extended or full retracted. No other suspension system will give you that. You LOOSE no travel and maintain full suspension capability because of it.

I know there will be those of you who feel that this is not within your budget - great - I understand and thank you for expressing your feelings through the forum. I also believe that there are those of you who wish to have a simple solution, that keeps your bike stock, no extra's required. You put it in gear and never think about it again - I am one of those. I never have to think about adding anything to make it perform. I Just ride it.

I am 6 feet tall and with extra cargo, additional passenger etc. it is tough hanging on to a top heavy anything. This gets me lower to the ground. It works for me, and it truly does make a difference on bumps. I just ride over them now. No more Thud. I appreciate the feedback please keep it coming.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone that would put $3500 shocks on a $6500 sportster......well. I'll leave it alone. Great product. I'm sure out works just as good if not better. I'm just (I would assume) one of the many that would say its too expensive.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Forgot one, not a big deal, but a great question .....

Originally Posted by shooter5074
What happens with headlight adjustment?

Quick Reply: It's not a myth - Active Hydraulic Suspension is here!