Vendor For Sale Classifieds HDForums Sponsors/Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

Dyna FXDXT retro T-Sport saddlebags by Leather Pros

Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM
SJ_FXD
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want these bags they are nice!

I got a 02 fxd Dyna with no bags on it now does the kit include everything needed to mount them on the bike? I do not have turn signals on the rear so no needed for that relocation kit.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:42 PM
SJ_FXD
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 AM
CJD197
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Alright, I normally wouldn't post...but I've got to in this case. I ordered the retro bags from Gary, and he said he would get to them in 2 weeks plus shipping time. Then I read that his Mother died, so I just made a mental note that my bags would surely be delayed, since I was sure he would have a lot of personal things to tend to.

Well, the bags arrived yesterday...2 weeks and 2 days from the day I ordered. I cannot say enough good about Gary and Leather Pro!

I know before I ordered I had some questions about how the bags work...even after reading all the threads I could find about them...and there are a lot! So, here is a quick photo blog about the installation. Honestly, the entire installation took about 15 minutes., I have not figured out what to do about relocating the rear turn signals, but the bags are super easy!

My starting point is a 1999 FXDX, with the removable sissy bar. I even get to retain the removable sissy bar. Here goes:

Here is what you see when you open the box. He recommends starting on the right bag first, and even takes the time to package the right side on top!

These are the leather bag option. It is all leather, except for the expansion section that un-zips when needed.

Each bag has 2 pockets. This is the outer, smaller pocket. You open it with the zipper under the leather flap.

I've been living out of a sissy cargo bag since I bought the bike. This one outer pouch holds everything I could fit in the sissy bag and then some.

This is the hard leather cover over the main section of the bags. It is held closed by 2 snaps, one forward and the other aft.

When you open the cover, you see 2 sets of zippers. The inner one opens the main storage section of the bag, and the outer allows the bag to expand width wise.

This is the main section opened. On the left you see the silver locking bar for the attachment system. Once attached, this bar moves vertical to lock the bag on the bike. It has a ring that provides and anchor to pad lock the bar in the locked position.

And here is the expansion section deployed. Once out you have plenty of room to hide your expensive helmet with blue tooth!

The side of the bag against the bike is hard plastic, with Gary's mounting system. In this pic the attachment lock is up, in the position it would be to install the bag on the bike mounting posts.

And this is the latched position. Very simple. After a minute you understand the mechanism perfectly. The instructions do recommend adjusting the over-center link if it loosens.

Included is a leather die/treatment. The bags looked great out of the box, but this treatment matches all the edges and threads to the same color black...so they look even better. One treatment used a negligible amount of the treatment, so it should last several years.

This is all the included hardware.

This is the hardware I will use to mount the bags...the longer bolts. I do not need the 1/4" thick washers, as I have the removable sissy bar mounts to take their place.

Last edited by CJD197; 05-05-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 AM
CJD197
Tourer

First, the sissy bar pops off to gain access to the rear strut and fender mounting bolts.

So. this is the starting point. The Leatherpro mounting lugs will simply bolt to the front mount. I have to remove the turn signal from the rear mount.

This is what comes off the front.

And this is what goes back on. It's that simple!

The rear is basically the same, but the turn signal has to go. It will have to be relocated...somewhere!?!

With 2 screws the brake light lense pops off, and the 2 outer connectors are the turn signals.

The light assembly is too big to feed through the mount hole, so the wires have to snipped at a convenient location to pull the lights off.

And, this is the Leather Pro hardware installed in the rear.

The bags wiggle over the studs, and then you lock the bars...and you're done! Honestly...20 minutes for the whole deal. Well, except for the turn signal relocation.

Now, isn't this a lot better looking than that delivery boy look the sissy bar bag had!

As I said above, I cannot say enough good about Gary and his work ethic. I had written these off for a couple months, but they showed up on time. The engineering is apparent with the quick and easy installation.

My only issue now is that HD no longer sells their signal re-locator, and most aftermarket systems are for newer bikes than my '99. But, I'll get that figured out later. For now...I gotta go ride!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:52 PM
CJD197
Tourer

Been looking for a turn signal relocation kit (still). I just studied the Texas DMV sight and learned that here in TX we don't even need turn signals...bonus! Guess that means I'll go with the Custom Dynamics integrated tail light...it's simple and doesn't mess up the clean looks with the new bags.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful bags and looks to be an easy install. Do you know if LeatherPro still offers a hdforum member discount, i like these bags but funds are an issue.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:59 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Beautiful bags and looks to be an easy install. Do you know if LeatherPro still offers a hdforum member discount, i like these bags but funds are an issue.
Ditto on that one. Give him a call or pm him here. I've dealt with them in the past and always got a helpful answer eventually. I'd rather wait a day or two and get good advice than get bad advice right away. =)

PS- already saving spare change to pickup a set of these for the FXDLS I just picked up.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 AM
707painter
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I’m new to the forum

I recently joined the forum, I’m still trying to figure out how everything works, but I know I need your saddlebags for an 07 fxdl

Originally Posted by LeatherPro
Sorry, but we don't have a forum discount anymore. There is a reason why there is a two week wait for our made in the USA bags and the dealers are trying to dump the other imported bags at a lower price.

Garry
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
When you unzip the expansion gusset, you get roughly an additional 3 1/2". This increases the width at the side panels to roughly 8". Keep in mind, though, that this is a soft sided bag, so it will bulge out to much more than that when you stuff things into it.