VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Differences in years/models

Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM
dannyddn
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in years/models

Hi all,

been riding for for a few years, ss style bikes but last year I fell in love with the Night Rod and told myself, this spring/summer, I’m buying one. Here I am.

Ive been looking for something used in my price range and I’ve narrowed it down to 2008-2013 bikes. I also see a range of models vrsc, vrscf, vrscdx, etc. It’s befoming a bit overwhelming. I wanted to ask, what models and what years is most recommended? Are they’re any years where major improvement were made with comfort and performance from 08-13? Were any major flaws discovered and rectified on the newer years? I’m just looking for some general info to narrow my search down even more and get the best bike for the best price. Believe it or not the 08-09s are the ones in better condition and much less km than the newer bikes in my area.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 AM
TheRobSJ
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For more specific V-Rod info, you should get to 1130cc.com and check out the forums. Everything you want to know is probably already over there.

For the most part, in some of the specific models they really are not much differences between the years other than colors. Like the VRSCF Muscle was the same bike through the whole run. Allegedly, the later years got a revised fuel level sensor to prevent the fuel gauge from sticking, but mine suffered that issue anyways.

Other V-Rods got significantly revised. The Night Rod eventually became the Night Rod Special which would get the big 240mm rear tire with wider frame, bigger gas tank, 1250cc engine, Brembo brakes, slipper clutch, and some other stuff like optional ABS.

Really, you’re on the right track not wanting to go older than 2008. That’s pretty much when the whole VRSC family got all those changes. Just a matter of deciding which style you like the best. The Muscle is drastically different from the rest of them since it has unique bodywork and a symmetric exhaust layout.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 AM
BBM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 582 Likes on 470 Posts

Damn, there are 13 different models and various configurations, it would take an essay to help you out. Good advice to go to 1130CC.com