VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Reset security code for 2002 V-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Ryder206
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reset security code for 2002 V-Rod

I just bought a 2002 V-Rod with the Harley security system and fob. I need to reset the PIN for the security system, but the way I've seen the process described in several places online doesn't seem to work (Ign on/off, on/off, on; press left turn signal three times, press right turn signal once). Does anyone know of the correct sequence for this bike? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Ryder206
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a lot of research and some trial and error, I found a solution that worked on my 2002 VRSCA as well as on my 2003 Road King. Found this on the CycleFish forum.

On these older bikes, the pin does not show up in the odometer. It instead is shown thru flashes of the red security key and flashes of both blinkers. This is how I set it and manually overrides it.

1) kill switch: off
2) ignition switch: on-off-on-off-on
3) left turn signal: twice
4) key fob button: twice

Both blinkers blinked once. Indicating the first digit of the code. I then pressed the left turn signal once and the red key flashed. Count the number of times it flashes and that is the selected number. Press the left turn signal and count the red key flashes until it as at the number you want.

Press the key fob button twice. The blinkers will blink twice, indicating it is on the second digit of the code. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes until it is at the digit you want.

Continue pattern to set digits 3-5 of the code.

Turn ignition off when done.

To manually override:
1) ensure system/alarm is activated
2) kill switch: off
3) ignition switch: accessory (not ignition)
4) turn signals: hold both immediately after turning ignition switch to accessory.

The red key will begin flashes quickly and the blinkers should blink once. Press the left turn signal until the red key flashes the number of times for the first digit of your code. Press the right signal. The blinkers will flash twice indicating it is on the second digit. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes for the appropriate number. Continue the pattern for digits 3-5. After entering the 5th digit correctly, the system will disarm.

The following users liked this post:
FLRoadKing (07-20-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 AM
BBM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 582 Likes on 470 Posts

Nice post.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

My o6 will display the current code during the process (sometimes) for me it's such a nerve racking process.
I'm usually so busy reading, pressing and watching flashes, if you can add another task, watch the odometer.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 PM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryder206
After a lot of research and some trial and error, I found a solution that worked on my 2002 VRSCA as well as on my 2003 Road King. Found this on the CycleFish forum.

On these older bikes, the pin does not show up in the odometer. It instead is shown thru flashes of the red security key and flashes of both blinkers. This is how I set it and manually overrides it.

1) kill switch: off
2) ignition switch: on-off-on-off-on
3) left turn signal: twice
4) key fob button: twice

Both blinkers blinked once. Indicating the first digit of the code. I then pressed the left turn signal once and the red key flashed. Count the number of times it flashes and that is the selected number. Press the left turn signal and count the red key flashes until it as at the number you want.

Press the key fob button twice. The blinkers will blink twice, indicating it is on the second digit of the code. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes until it is at the digit you want.

Continue pattern to set digits 3-5 of the code.

Turn ignition off when done.

To manually override:
1) ensure system/alarm is activated
2) kill switch: off
3) ignition switch: accessory (not ignition)
4) turn signals: hold both immediately after turning ignition switch to accessory.

The red key will begin flashes quickly and the blinkers should blink once. Press the left turn signal until the red key flashes the number of times for the first digit of your code. Press the right signal. The blinkers will flash twice indicating it is on the second digit. Press the left turn signal and count red key flashes for the appropriate number. Continue the pattern for digits 3-5. After entering the 5th digit correctly, the system will disarm.
Great post. I’m getting my ‘03 tomorrow. Might have to do this process. I also think its published in the manual.