VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

first vrod/bike ever

Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
VROD101
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first vrod/bike ever

hi all, just pick up my first bike ever. 08 Vrod night special with ABS.
with no experience on motorcycle, I think I need lots of help from you guys out there. All I did so far is ride around the block and put only 4 miles on it. Any suggestion out there about do and don't.
thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Shed
Advanced
Default RE: first vrod/bike ever

Book into a course and get some tuition

Do not lug the engine and look where you want to go not at what you want to miss.

Good luck and welcome

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Billydj
Cruiser

Welcome and enjoy the ride. Try not to "lug" the engine by keeping her up to about 3000 rpm or greater as much as possible. They don't call it the revoluton for nothing. Also, watch your oil levels. These bikes really don't conform to normal break-in procedures meaning "babying them" for the first 500 miles. Folks have experienced high oil usage if they baby'd the ride at break-in. To alleviate this, they were advised to ride her pretty hardto settle the rings and prevent the high oil usage and the usage normalized. This could be different on 08s. Anyone else have any other input on this for VROD101?

BillyD

Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
kerrybro
Intermediate

for the do's, take the course and get some training and for the dont's, don't sell any parts off it until you talk to me first since i have the same bike LOL !!!
good luck!!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Rocks
Cruiser

Yes, a safety course is a really good idea.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

a good MSF course in you r local area and a copy of "ride like a pro" DVD, will do you a world of good.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Billydj
These bikes really don't conform to normal break-in procedures meaning "babying them" for the first 500 miles. Folks have experienced high oil usage if they baby'd the ride at break-in. To alleviate this, they were advised to ride her pretty hardto settle the rings and prevent the high oil usage and the usage normalized. This could be different on 08s. Anyone else have any other input on this for VROD101?

BillyD
This seems to be popular opinion, but I followed the break-in procedure to the letter. I used a quart in the first 3000 miles and not a drop since. Only time will tell if the prescribed break-in is the best method of not.

VROD101---Take a coarse and/or put in some serious miles beside an experienced rider.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 AM
VROD101
Stage II

thanks for all the reply, I did complete the MSF course. that is all the experiences I have. Please explain more about "LUG" I might did that for the first few mile on the bike. I was told to take it easy on the first 500 mile "break in". The engine is made for high rpm but don't we should go easy when it is new?
Kerrybro- I try to take of the rear brake lamp to replace the clear with led but couldn't do it. Is there a easy way? does any one change the brake light yet?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Billydj
Cruiser

Lugging is when your running the engine too slow and she starts to buck or shakeon you. No different than when riding a manual shift car and you are in 4th gear and trying to go 10 mph...the car will sart to shudder unlessyoupush the clutch in and let the engine rev while disengaged from the tranny.

For instance, if I ride in a 25mph zone, I'm likely to keep her in 1st gear to keep the revs up or when I am in a 35-45 mph zone for a little while, I'm likely to keep her onlyin 2nd...always trying to keep the revs up to over 3000 rpm.

On the break-in, do a normal break-in as prescribed by thedealer but just watch your oil use. Ifafter 1-2k miles youreating oil, take her out and ride her hard and that should settlethis down. These bikes wanna run and ya gotta let 'em run.

On the brake light...everyone changes something on their rides. It's all personal preference. Do what you want and have fun!

BillyD

Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

First of all, you definitely chose the right bike and welcome to the forum!

I'm still a new rider and find the hardest thing to remember is that the bike is much more powerful than I'm able to handle safely - and I find myself going too fast without thinking about it. Just be safe and enjoy the ride.

Lisa [sm=biker.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: first vrod/bike ever