VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

exhaust confusion

Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Harleyfirst
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust confusion

Have a '11 vrod muscle.Looking to possible install set of V & H comp slip-ons by myself.Doesnt seem that difficult.
Question is do I need to do any "fuel pak" "re mapping work" or can i just stick these on and go.looking for a nice rumble told these will go great with this engine.Confusion starts with HD parts says no problem do yourself,no other work but second opinion from another HD dealer says need to install progammer and they will set it up ,another says need fuel pak and air cleaner upgrade I am sure they all mean well but $600 for the slip ons and do it myself sounds great if i get what im looking for.But start adding the other things pretty soon Im looking at $1500-2000 ! Wasnt gonna change air filter leave it stock as I dont track race and damn thing has pletty of get up and oh **** another ticket.....so looking to realtime for feedback from the forum>a little advise needed please...

Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,730 Likes on 927 Posts

I don't about V-Rods, but I have just put exhaust on late model twin cams with O2 sensors and nothing broke. The 09 made a little more power. So try it and see how it works. The ECM should adjust to some degree, but it has very narrow parameters. You can add fuel packs that just richen your mix a little and don't require dyno tuning. These usually cost about $2-300. If you go with a T-Max or other unit that uses wide band O2 sensors you will have to weld the 18 mm bungs in the stock pipe or buy head pipes that have them. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Malcomx
Advanced

Be sure your new pipes have O2 bungs for the stock sensors. Then go to Nightrider and order a couple voltage dividers for your O2 sensors, takes half an hour to install them, and cost a hundred bucks. That will drop your AFR to 13.9 to 1. Your bike will run very well and produce a lot less heat.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 AM
avman
1st Gear

our bikes run on the lean side from the factory, adding the slip-ons will make that worse, and the stock ecm/o2 can't compensate enough. I am in the process of deciding on a tuner while my '11 muscle is in the shop (slid out in a turn-broke a rib but the bike's gonna be fine) I am having the stock mufflers replaced w/V&H slip-ons, and want the tuner by the time I get the bike back. I'm leaning toward the TTS mastertune which flashes the stock ECM like the SERT does, but allows for much more adjustment.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Malcomx
Advanced

Originally Posted by avman
our bikes run on the lean side from the factory, adding the slip-ons will make that worse, and the stock ecm/o2 can't compensate enough. I am in the process of deciding on a tuner while my '11 muscle is in the shop (slid out in a turn-broke a rib but the bike's gonna be fine) I am having the stock mufflers replaced w/V&H slip-ons, and want the tuner by the time I get the bike back. I'm leaning toward the TTS mastertune which flashes the stock ECM like the SERT does, but allows for much more adjustment.
I beg to differ, the stock ECM can compensate enough. It's going to add or subtract fuel until the O2 sensors show the proper voltage. If for some reason it can't do that, it will throw a "sensor out of range" code. The stock ECM is a lot more capable than most people think.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are doing just slip-on exhaust and nothing else, you need not do anything. If you upgrade the air filter to a high flow filter, then you would have to think about some sort of fuel control device.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser
Default exhaust change

Malcomx and Hal64 are both right. If you just changing pipes then you shouldn't need a tuner. ECM should be able to compensate for the increased exhaust flow. If you change the air filter to something with a higher flow you will need a tuner. Just remember if you get a tuner the bike will need to be dyno tuned. Unless you get a tuner with an autotune feature then you just install it and ride the bike. This type of tuner tunes the bike as you ride and you won't have to put the bike on a dyno. The tuners with the autotune feature are more expensive than the ones that don't. It is a basic trade-off if the tuner doesn't have a autotune then your bike will need to be put on a dyno. If you get a tuner with the autotune, it costs a little more but you don't have to put the bike on a dyno. Therefore you have a tradeoff. Most dealers don't mention tuners with the autotune feature cause they really like to push the dyno off on customers so they can make as much money as they can on you.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Malcomx
Advanced

I'm going to argue with slim and Hal. I don't think it matters if you change the filter or not. The combustion gases leaving the engine are going to have some oxygen in them, and the O2 sensor is going to produce a voltage based on the amount of O2 it detects. The ECM is going to read that voltage and adjust the AFR accordingly. If it can't read the voltage, or adjust the AFR enough to reach the target voltage, it's going to throw a code. There is no third option that I'm aware of, the O2 sensor voltage is right or there is an error code, it's A or B.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
dc vrod
Novice

I agree if you're just going with slip-ons and no air filter mods then you won't need to do anything with tuners.

Also if you later decide to go to high flow filter and you want to get a tuner you don't necessary need to pay for the auto-tune system or get the bike dyno'ed. There are a lot of maps on the internet you can find for common set ups like an Amsoil filter and V&H slip ons. Some of the websites that sell tuners will even load the map before they ship the tuner if you tell them your setup. And you can find improved maps on 1130cc.com in the forums there.

I got my PC V from Fuel Moto with their map loaded for my setup and it wasn't bad. slight popping on hard decels but I found some tweeks on a forum that cleaned it up. 2500 miles and no problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The 02 sensors only control fuel in closed loop any major load at 50% to full throttle the 02 sensors have no control as the bike goes into open loop and runs on predetermined map parameters in the ECU

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust confusion