VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

5.3 gallon gas tank for 2002-2006 VRSC

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:40 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.3 gallon gas tank for 2002-2006 VRSC

An American company, Unlimited Engineering, has developed a 5.3 gallon replacement tank for the 2002-2006 VRSC line. Slight modifications (but nothing structurally or safety related) are needed to put 5 gallons were only 3 1/2 should be. The ignition switch needs to be moved to a location in front of the vertical coolant hose. The needed parts are of course included, along with everything you'll need to do the job correctly. This may not be such a bad thing as I have heard of police drawing their weapons at V-Rod riders who are just trying to shut the key off, because the cop thinks the rider is reaching for a gun. Installation of this tank will not require separate purchase of any parts that would not be needed for any tank change, such as a replacement quad-seal and a tool to remove the fuel flange retaining ring. Any known incompatibilities with aftermarket parts are listed on the page linked below

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store/2020.html?id=Kdzc5tRs

If you are curious, I am in no way associated with this company. My knowledge stems from my being selected as a "beta tester" for this tank before it was released to the public. The installation of this tank went very smoothly, the instructions are very thorough, and there is a support forum designed for anyone that needs instructive assistance with the tank. Your not going to be left hanging once they have your money. The installation appears to be no more difficult than any tank I've heard about. There was even a woman selected for the beta program, who installed the tank herself, and admittedly said-- "It's really not that hard. Before this mod, I had been worried simply about installing a fuel management system."

This is the biggest VRSC tank on the market. No longer will my group always be stopping because I need gas. The biggest bonus is that it's American Made for my American Made Bike.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:40 AM
pbears
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.3 gallon gas tank for 2002-2006 VRSC

Sounds good! Is there some solution to the programming of the chip for fuel readout and range readings? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
SmileyGirl
Intermediate

Wow! This is so cool. I was worried about traveling this summer. I purchased a '06 NightRod late October and haven't put but a little over 2K on the bike. I've emailed the link to my wrench Thank you very much!

SmileyGirl

Old 02-20-2007, 07:46 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: pbears

Sounds good! Is there some solution to the programming of the chip for fuel readout and range readings? Thanks.
Because the tank is less thana half of an inch taller, the readout on the gaugewill stay the same---half a tank is still half a tank. The best thing is that 1/2 a tank means more than 2 1/2 gallons left, rather than the 1 3/4 I had before.

On the range reading, I'm not sure if that is a set figure that is internal to the system or based on probable consumption with the remaining fuel, history, and current usage. I have not seen anything to change this but I have not done enough riding with the new tank to see if it is even necessary or not. I really don't use the range anyway, it seems to be inaccurate for me so it really doesn't do me any good.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Rode tonight[sm=gears.gif],stopped forgas. 4.859 gallons put in. [sm=happybounce.gif]

The trip meter said 107 when I was sitting at the gas station after filling at idle. Rode for 6.9 miles, looked at it again, said 128. I don't know how it works, or even if it does, so that is why I have never paid any attention to it. Your questionurges me to do so, I'll have to see what happens.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

ORIGINAL: pbears

I am installing the ricks tank because I didn't want to relocate the ignition switch or reform my cfr seat or gas cap. as far as the fuel range the calculations are done against injector flow rate consumption but don't know of its calculated against fuel level or a calibration against 3.7 gal configuration will post after this weekend

Last edited by Hal64hd; 02-10-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

37.7 miles (it isstill cold here)and the range reads 125. It may not be able to show you an accurate range when you fill up, but then again I don't think it ever could. It does seem to make adjustments based on the fuel remaining. Since 37.7 took me to slightly less than 3/4 of a tank, rather than just better than 1/2, it seems to have made an adjustment to still show 125.

No matter what tank you replace your stock one with, you will have the same inconsistencies. Is the range inconsistency enough to cause you to keep your sub-four gallon tank? It wasn't enough for me.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 AM
eazy
Road Warrior

Damn nice to ride 153 miles and still not have to get gas. Best I've gone before is 109---and that was when myol' ladyhad to drive out to bring me some gas because I ran out on the Interstate coming home.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
SmileyGirl
Intermediate

Woooo! Hooo! I'd really like to get the larger tank as well but may need to wait until a modified passenger foot peg/exhaust mountis available for the VRSCD model before I have it installed. Besides my husband is waaay busy with his real job right now and may not have any time to work on my bikes for the next couple of months. I'm gonna go ahead and order up the new gas tank as soon as their back in stock though BTW - I've ridden mine 136 miles(just one time) without running out of gas with the stock tank.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

136 huh? That's good. I have had to have mine richened up because I am running baffleless exhaust. 33 mpg is the best I've seen, and that was when I was taking it easy on the throttle.

The installation isn't that hard to do and you and/or your husband will always have support on the forum designed to help with the tank. I think that it is something most anybody could do.

With that kind of fuel economy you might hit 200+ on a 5.3 gallon tank.

Quick Reply: 5.3 gallon gas tank for 2002-2006 VRSC