Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.

TC88 cam removal/install tools.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default TC88 cam removal/install tools.

Im about to do a cam install on an 05 FLHTCU I have the inner bearing puller/installer tools. I need the outer bearing/cam remover/installer tools and the tensioner relief tool. I've tapped my resources financially and can't do the $150+ for the kits I've found (I'm looking to spend about 1/3 of that. Please let me know if you have these and would like to part with them for a few bucks!

thanks

Old 03-18-2018, 02:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

You do not need any of the tools you are looking for. You can take a box end wrench and a screw driver through the end and twist to pull the tensioner off and then slide a pin (small Allen wrench or nail) through the hole to hold the tensioners off. You can use the oven/freezer method to get the outer bearings off and back on. That’s the way I did my 04 when I had it and it all worked very well.

The following users liked this post:
CardiacHog (10-25-2020)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
You do not need any of the tools you are looking for. You can take a box end wrench and a screw driver through the end and twist to pull the tensioner off and then slide a pin (small Allen wrench or nail) through the hole to hold the tensioners off. You can use the oven/freezer method to get the outer bearings off and back on. That’s the way I did my 04 when I had it and it all worked very well.
Easy enough! After the bearings are in will I need a tool to press the cams into the bearings?

Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

No tool necessary. Use the oven method to take everything apart. To put together, put the bearings in the freezer and put the cams in the oven. Then the bearings can easily be put on the cams. Then put the cams with bearings installed in the freezer and the plate in the oven. They will then be able to be easily installed in the plate. Just have to remove the plug on the plate before putting it in the oven as there’s an o-ring on it. You should be able to google the whole process. There used to be a good picture tutorial on harleyhog’s lair but that went defunct unless it might be found hosted somewhere else.

Last edited by dawg; 03-18-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Tourer

No tool necessary. Use the oven method to take everything apart. To put together, put the bearings in the freezer and put the cams in the oven. Then the bearings can easily be put on the cams. Then put the cams with bearings installed in the freezer and the plate in the oven. They will then be able to be easily installed in the plate. Just have to remove the plug on the plate before putting it in the oven as there’s an o-ring on it. You should be able to google the whole process. There used to be a good picture tutorial on harleyhog’s lair but that went defunct unless it might be found hosted somewhere else.
I follow. Can the tensioners stay on in the oven?

Old 03-19-2018, 05:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 838

I follow. Can the tensioners stay on in the oven?
No, remove the tensioners prior to the oven, as well as the retainer plate and plug at the top. The oven is to just get the cams and bearings out of the plate.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the above advice was perfect. I've done the same thing and it all works great. Just take your time and make sure you're putting everything together right while it's hot.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Tourer

No, remove the tensioners prior to the oven, as well as the retainer plate and plug at the top. The oven is to just get the cams and bearings out of the plate.
I was under the impression that the inner tensioner could not be removed from the plate until the cams were out of the cam plate. Is this incorrect?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Tourer

when putting the new cams/bearings on to the plate (from the freezer) should the cams already be timed with the secondary chain installed?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 838

I was under the impression that the inner tensioner could not be removed from the plate until the cams were out of the cam plate. Is this incorrect?
The inner tensioner can/will stay on the plate unless you had a special tool to pull it

Originally Posted by 838

when putting the new cams/bearings on to the plate (from the freezer) should the cams already be timed with the secondary chain installed?
Yes, you have to have the chain on and timing marks lined up when dropping them in.

Quick Reply: TC88 cam removal/install tools.