Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

new member, '96 road king, evo motor with carb.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Steve Mason
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo motor with carb '96 road king oil pressure light

just finished building evo motor, carburetor, runs great, idle set perfect, no problems during break in period. one item we installed was high performance oil pump. today, after riding in 80 degree weather, i noticed the oil pressure light flicker at idle when motor was hot. bump throttle a little, light goes out. does not occur when motor is cold. running 20W50 synthetic oil. i live in south carolina, so will be riding in hot temps. considering change oil to straight 50W synthetic, even straight 60W synthetic. any ideas on flickering oil pressure light at idle when warm? thanks for help.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:38 AM
Steve Mason
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member, '96 road king, evo motor with carb.

good morning, i just joined this forum, ride a '96 road king that i have owned since new. just rebuilt the motor after suffering a cam bearing failure at 40,000 miles. runs great, now breaking in the motor, watching for any anomolies. noticed a oil pressure light flicker at idle when hot. idle is not too low. flicker stops with throttle bump. any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 AM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,041 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Welcome from SanAntonio, TX

Old 05-09-2019, 06:26 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada, post that question in the Tech/Mech area for more exposure, good luck

Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 388 Likes on 372 Posts

Welcome to the forum...what kel03 said.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:04 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Howzit and Greetings from Houston and a Displaced Cut N Shoot Texan

Haole

Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

DISCLAIMER...Not wanting to start an oil thread! Just me, but I have never broken a motor in with synthetic oil. The 20x50 weight is fine. After 700 -800 miles switch to synthetic if you wish. I also change the initial oil / filter at 500 miles, clean the lifter block screen, and add dino right back until I hit roughly 800 miles on the build. Then run what you want. Don't lug it or over rev it.

Everybody is different and opinions will vary on the process. I've never had a problem doing this on any motor I've built and I've built a bunch. Most motors are broken in by 500 miles.

Last edited by Bass Player; 05-09-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,320 Likes on 10,699 Posts

G'day mate,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Here is a gift for you… LOL! “I so funi!”

Now let’s get serious for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

**** I AM NOT ONE TO GIVE ADVICE ON HOW HDF WORKS BUT… ****
**** AND THE FOLLOWING IS UNOFFICIAL ****

You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums”

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum”

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,320 Likes on 10,699 Posts

G'day mate,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Here is a gift for you… LOL! “I so funi!”

Now let’s get serious for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

**** I AM NOT ONE TO GIVE ADVICE ON HOW HDF WORKS BUT… ****
**** AND THE FOLLOWING IS UNOFFICIAL ****

You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums”

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum”

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,989 Likes on 6,198 Posts

Welcome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new member, '96 road king, evo motor with carb.