Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

cant get bead on tire after changing tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:24 PM
m craig culver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get bead on tire after changing tire

Any tricks on getting tubeless tire to catch bead after changing tire? I'm in a bind. Thanks

Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

some to consider;
make sure the core is out of valve stem (reduce restriction).
try to elevate the wheel if one side will seat then you can push/pull the other side tight.
use rope or come-along to cinch the crown of tire, making the section width bigger.
Haven't tried this on a bike tire but have used starting fluid to ignite, the blast will seat everything from a tractor tire to a 4 wheeler...

fingers crossed

Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

How many PSI are you using on your compressor. You need quite a bit of pressure to seat a stubborn bead. I've used carb cleaner and a lighter on a 33" mud tire, but not on a motorcycle tire. That's pretty dangerous.

Try a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. I've used Windex on the part that doesn't want to seat to help it slide. Those are some of the tricks that I've tried. There's a lot of videos on youtube. Good luck

Last edited by das56170; 07-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
m craig culver
1st Gear

Thanks yall

Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 AM
piper1978
Tourer

I had a 23" rim that wouldn't seat the bead. I was told to fill it with 60 psi and set it in the sun. Since it was winter in Kansas, I filled it with 60psi and placed it in my powder coat oven at 120F. Finally seated after about thirty minutes. Worked for me.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

A standard air chuck with the center pin to depress the valve in the stem doesn't pass much air. If you don't have a free flow chuck (requires the valve to be removed to work), you can unscrew the center pin to get more air volume. I took a cheap chuck, and drilled it out larger with the pin out, makes a big difference seating beads. The ratchet strap trick works pretty good, but stop putting air in as soon as the bead seats, and let the air out again, makes it much easier to get the strap loose. Let the compressor run till it shuts off (max pressure), then air the tire. Those cheap 100-120 psi 2hp compressors with small tanks just won't do it sometimes. I got a 200 psi compressor, and it made a world of difference.

A lot of tires come wrapped tight with plastic, and take a set with the beads almost touching. You can put some 1 qt oil containers sideway in them overnight (2x4s, anything that will hold them apart) and they'll expand easier.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I used to fit all my own tyres in the good ole days, however I eventually gave up with tubeless ones, partly due to this very problem, but also they are bigger and stiffer these days. If you have to then visit a tyre depot, where they will have the air capacity to blast your beads onto the rim.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by m craig culver
Any tricks on getting tubeless tire to catch bead after changing tire? I'm in a bind. Thanks
How did it turn out for you?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:04 AM
m craig culver
1st Gear

The ratchet strap trick worked. This was my first time on this site. Truly impressed with the resonce. Thanks

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Brent Ford
Stage I

Originally Posted by Billman812
some to consider;
make sure the core is out of valve stem (reduce restriction).
try to elevate the wheel if one side will seat then you can push/pull the other side tight.
use rope or come-along to cinch the crown of tire, making the section width bigger.
Haven't tried this on a bike tire but have used starting fluid to ignite, the blast will seat everything from a tractor tire to a 4 wheeler...

fingers crossed
I've used ether. Worked great but don't use too much.

Quick Reply: cant get bead on tire after changing tire