Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

05 Heritage loose spokes

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 PM
LRS
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

He came up with a mag type wheel that he was told was a direct fit. We decided to mach fit it tonight. The axel size is correct, rotor bolts on fine. sprocket/ pulley bolts on fine. The only thing that I see, is the raised up place on the wheel where the center hole of the sprocket/ pulley goes is slightly smaller than the original spoke wheel. In other words, The big center hole in the sprocket / pulley has about 1/16"the all the way around between the hole and the raised area. Thoughts

Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

It wouldn't be considered a "Direct Fit"

That's a 1999-earlier Tapered Roller Bearing wheel with smaller pulley/rotor locators. 2000-later wheels used sealed ball bearings with larger pulley/rotor locators .

Are you sure the Wheel spacers are passing through the grease seals and contacting the inner bearing race with proper spacing?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Also the pulley and disk rotor need spacers to keep them running concentric with the hub.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
That's a 1999-earlier Tapered Roller Bearing wheel with smaller pulley/rotor locators. 2000-later wheels used sealed ball bearings with larger pulley/rotor locators .
If you get the spacing worked out OK and want to stay with that wheel, then you could use these...

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Harley-...pter-Ring.html

Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 AM
LRS
Tourer

That makes sense. The guy he bought it from said it came off a 08 softail but I don't know. Got to do some more looking at it this evening after work. Those adapters will take care of the sprocket pulley issue. Got to check spacers.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by LRS
...The guy he bought it from said it came off a 08 softail...
Uh...No

Btw, all 08 (and later) Harleys would have had 25mm bearings...the 3/4" axle would have "rattled" around

Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 AM
LRS
Tourer

If you get the spacing worked out OK and want to stay with that wheel, then you could use these...

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Harley-...pter-Ring.html

Thank you sir. I think this may be the ticket!

Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

I'd take a hard look at your spacing and total "stack-up" width compared to the original.

Also typically tapered wheel bearings with SEPARATE seals run 3 spacers. 2 that are short and usually the same size just get you out past the seals (and provide a good O.D. sealing surface for the seals), and then the 3rd to complete the spacing on the pulley side.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM
LRS
Tourer

I'd take a hard look at your spacing and total "stack-up" width compared to the original.

Also typically tapered wheel bearings with SEPARATE seals run 3 spacers. 2 that are short and usually the same size just get you out past the seals (and provide a good O.D. sealing surface for the seals), and then the 3rd to complete the spacing on the pulley side.
There was 1 small spacer left in the wheel he bought on the pulley side, I added the bigger spacer that was originally on his 05 to it outside the bearing on pulley side. Then I used the original small spacer on the brake side. Then torqued down the axle nut. Wheel is center of fender and straight, brake caliper is in correct position and belt looks correct. Wheel has no play or movement left to right. I think he needs to get those correct rings shown above to keep pulley and rotor centered and put new bearings in it since he don't know the history of the wheel.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM
LRS
Tourer

We finally got back on this project. The Vulcan engineering adapter spacers made it all work out correctly. We put new bearings in it added the adapter spacers. Took it for a 100 mile stroll yesterday. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'd never knew about those adapter rings without this post.

Quick Reply: 05 Heritage loose spokes