Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

The quest for improved wet traction

Old 11-17-2017, 11:32 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,199 Likes on 11,126 Posts
Default The quest for improved wet traction

This morning we had an unusual event in San Diego. We had a light rain shower. As I was walking the dog, waiting for her drop her morning load, I was thinking about several very experienced riders that I know that went down hard in similar conditions. Both riders were coming out of an entrance ramp turn, when the back end went out from under them.

Then, as I walked into the garage, I noticed the wet tread pattern that our Acura MDX left on the floor. I recently had new Michelin Premier LTX tires installed. These are now the top rated performance SUV tires, particularly in the wet. They made improvements in tread compound, and added a lot of "siping". Siping helps a tire conform to surface irregularities and achieve better grip in slippery conditions. Per the following:

The Michelin Premier LTX, with the new tread pattern:

But, then when you look at the Harley Dunlops on my new '17 Road King. You have a mostly smooth rubber surface. This tread pattern is great on smooth clean road surfaces. But, toss on some sand or water, and you basically have a slick.

So...why aren't there more advanced tire technologies , including siping...even if only on the tire crown, on our motorcycle tires?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:15 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

That is advanced design for mc tires. The contact patch is much smaller on modern tires. Look at any "new" mc tire, they are all very similar. The siping is there, going to the side of the tire from center. I have found much improved wet road traction with the Avon Cobras now as well as the previous Avon Venoms. The big key is easier braking and acceleration on wet roads.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I would think "siping" (I just learned a new word) may induce a bit of squirminess to a motorcycle tire in normal dry conditions. The trade-off between better wet performance and lesser dry performance would not be as advantages on a motorcycle. Just my thought.

And being in San Diego, your climate is similar to mine. The first rain is the most treacherous because the time between rains is so prolonged. There's a lot of oil that needs some significant rain to be washed away.

In other parts of the country where rain occurs more regularly the "oil" issue is not as prevalent.

I've never had an issue with wet traction except as noted in that first rain. It can be very similar to ice until the oil is washed away.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I've been riding bikes for 50 years now, including sporty ones alongside my Harleys. I've seen tyre design 'fashions' come and go over that time, including sipes! Modern bike tyres do indeed look very plain, but they have highly sophisticated carcasses as well as clever rubber compounds. I for one have no problems with riding on similar looking tyres to yours.

For improved grip, look to European brands, especially Avon. They are owned by Cooper Tires, but designed and made in England (just as Dunlop were once upon a time!) and suit our very mixed European riding conditions particularly well. I've been using them on my Harleys since the '70s and they now regard the Harley market as a major part of their total sales. The Cobra is their latest 'Harley' tyre and I use them and their Storm on my bikes.

The following users liked this post:
HD_noobie (04-10-2024)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,199 Likes on 11,126 Posts

So, Michelin does offer tires with siping. But, not sure I’d get them for riding in Southern California. I’d definitely give them consideration in a rainier area.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I just put some shinko advance 005 on. Completely different bike vs the garbage hd Dunlop.

Attached Thumbnails The quest for improved wet traction-0307181756_hdr.jpg   The quest for improved wet traction-img_20180228_181954_255.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

There is a reason some of us ride on the Dark Side....

Old 04-10-2024, 05:14 AM
Brouss
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
I just put some shinko advance 005 on. Completely different bike vs the garbage hd Dunlop.
I had an awful time with a Shinko rear on my 2003 Ultra Classic in 2019. That tyre resisted all attempts at improving things via balancing [and experimenting with different pressures].
It made the bike uneasy at 110 km/h, wandery at 120, and downright dangerous above 130 km/h. After 3000 km I junked it in favour of a Dunlop Battlax which though somewhat of a 'compromise' provided instant relief. My ride was back to 'normal'. Since then I've heard first hand of two instances where Shinkos became dis-integrated as they aged, requiring early replacement. No more Shinko on my bikes.

Last edited by Brouss; 04-10-2024 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:38 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 620 Posts

first of all, that is a sport tire or as i call a mushroom tire and they are by nature the worst for wet roads as the contact patch is very small. i hate them even on dry roads because of the roll over feeling when getting off center.
if you want good traction, get an english style tire where the contact patch is nearly across the entire surface area. if you ride a sport tire and go to english, the handling is diff but easy to adjust to.
also of note: when it first starts raining, oil will rise to the top and the road will be slick until the water washes it off, any seasoned rider knows this. you think concrete and asphalt is bad, try it on a brick street, i went through an intersection sideways, didn't spill it but soiled my martha whites.
on that mushroom tire, i could break traction at 70mph on a power up.
you can always go DARKSIDE!

Old 04-10-2024, 12:38 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
first of all, that is a sport tire or as i call a mushroom tire and they are by nature the worst for wet roads as the contact patch is very small. i hate them even on dry roads because of the roll over feeling when getting off center.
if you want good traction, get an english style tire where the contact patch is nearly across the entire surface area. if you ride a sport tire and go to english, the handling is diff but easy to adjust to.
also of note: when it first starts raining, oil will rise to the top and the road will be slick until the water washes it off, any seasoned rider knows this. you think concrete and asphalt is bad, try it on a brick street, i went through an intersection sideways, didn't spill it but soiled my martha whites.
on that mushroom tire, i could break traction at 70mph on a power up.
you can always go DARKSIDE!
Ahh, the necro thread revival

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The quest for improved wet traction