Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Chinese wheels?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Back in late 2014 I ordered a set of chrome Agitator Wheels for my new bike. When they came in the boxes were labeled made in China. Surprised me so much that I opened them both up and inspected them right in the dealership floor in front of the parts counter. The wheels have made in Australia. I'm guessing that Harley was preparing to move manufacturing to China. IDK, but I wouldn't have ordered wheels that cost that much if I knew they were made in China.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 PM
VmanFLT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's true, however they also can and do make good quality stuff when given a suitable spec. I'm old enough to recall when Japanese stuff was considered crap - such as their early bikes and cars! Many current Harleys have Chinese wheels and have had for several years now.
Ya know, I agree to a large extent, but I find it hard to believe that any US company would spec out poison dog treats, toxic drywall, lead paint in children's toys, etc... Some link in the chain is broken here.

I would be interested to know Your source for referencing that Chinese wheels come equipped on current factory HD's... as I have only seen reference to the Australian factory.

Nothing would surprise me where Harley is concerned, though...

Old 01-23-2018, 05:04 PM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
I wouldn't have ordered wheels that cost that much if I knew they were made in China.
That's the very point that I was trying to make to Scudda... I agree with You 100% Well, they were made in Australia anyway, so...

Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

grBrown...I used to buy Brembo rotors for my mustang (made in Canada) an ebc pads for my shovel head (I think they were made in England)...I try to get the best quality I can afford, Canadian an European made products are good (just not American good) LOL.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by VmanFLT
That's nice- We are the world and all that. It doesn't change the fact that China has a long history of importing inferior quality, often times even unsafe products to the USA.
Please enlighten us,go ahead and name just one country that has never exported inferior products. Sure China gets more of the attention simply due to sheer volume,but every country in the world produces some absolute garbage to foist upon it's own citizens as well as those far away...

Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 AM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Please enlighten us,go ahead and name just one country that has never exported inferior products. Sure China gets more of the attention simply due to sheer volume,but every country in the world produces some absolute garbage to foist upon it's own citizens as well as those far away...
Enlighten You? Do You really need me to do a Google search for You? China gets more attention for sure... there's a reason for that. Yeah it's due to sheer volume; they're only the worlds largest exporter! Call me crazy, but I don't think giving them a pass because other countries have produced junk too is really the answer here.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1306...consumers.html

Old 01-24-2018, 11:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by VmanFLT
I would be interested to know Your source for referencing that Chinese wheels come equipped on current factory HD's... as I have only seen reference to the Australian factory.

Nothing would surprise me where Harley is concerned, though...
I have a 2002 Deuce wheel on my Glide, which is made in Australia, those words embedded in it's casting on the inside. Some years ago there was an announcement in the press that H-D was transferring manufacture to China. That's been repeated occasionally ever since. I will soon have a new tyre fitted to my 2011 Sportster, so will check the bare wheel when I do, to see where that was made!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

GR if your Sporty has cast wheels it gonna be an Australian Castalloy.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
GR if your Sporty has cast wheels it gonna be an Australian Castalloy.
Thanks - I'll check!

This is an item commenting on the transfer of manufacture of wheels to China, back in late 2011, although after my bike was made.

The more general topic of where Harleys are made has been around a while! Here's a thread from 2008, which covers the usual aspects of the subject.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Thanks - I'll check!

This is an item commenting on the transfer of manufacture of wheels to China, back in late 2011, although after my bike was made.

The more general topic of where Harleys are made has been around a while! Here's a thread from 2008, which covers the usual aspects of the subject.
Look down at the bottom of that NW Harley Blog article and You'll see a link to an update from July 2013:

https://nwhog.wordpress.com/2013/07/...daelaid-plant/

Basically stating that HD reversed that decision and signed a 4 year deal with Australian New Castalloy.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (01-24-2018)