Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Wheel swap with bearings seems waaaaay too high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Michael Dahl
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel swap with bearings seems waaaaay too high?

I have a 2012 Dyna with ABS. It has spoke wheels and I found a really good deal on mag wheels with tires (they even have the rotors and pulley), but they are from a dyna without ABS. So I realize the bearings will need to be replaced and was curious what a dealer would charge. Parts and labor, I was quoted something that I felt was way overpriced unless I am missing something.....

$503 total

Again, I am supplying the wheels and tires. Only thing that has to be replaced are the bearings that I am aware of? Any thoughts? Other then the bearing puller (can get one from amazon for under $100) and bearings it doesn't seem like a big job, but the quote from the dealer has me spooked that I am missing something if I were to tackle this myself?
Thanks

The following users liked this post:
davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:29 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 345 Likes on 150 Posts

wow bearings are like 30.00 there is a tool to remove them but I have just used a long punch and hammer with no problems and installed with threaded rod washers and nuts or you can just use a big socket and hammer........Good Luck its not that big of a deal

davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,000 Likes on 1,998 Posts

Wow...503 dollars??? You can buy the tool for less than 100 bucks and do them yourself. I have the heartland cam bearing tool and the puller fits in my wheel bearings so I made a cup at work to use with it and like was mentioned above I'm going to use some threaded rod and some nuts and appropriately sized washers to put them back in with. Every time I read one of these dealer rip off stories I feel like I'm in the wrong business lol

davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Whaddya expect? Those fancy racks they have to hang t-shirts and jackets on aren't exactly free...

davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:35 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I had a tire mounted an bearings replaced at a Honda dealership for $30

davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Which dealer is it? Have you called other dealers?

davidstipek (04-14-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 AM
davidstipek
Intermediate

First of all... What does wheel bearings have to do with Brakes or ABS Brakes for that matter? I had ABS added to a Bike 2 years ago and was told, there was no connection between the two...!

My ride has worked flawlessly since the change. Even had 3 life threatening stops, during this time frame... Abs worked as it was supposed to, keeping bike upright and in a straight line!

I also own a Alcohol Burning Drag Bike, In the 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs, to stop the use of a chute tends to put a wooble in the bike as speeds come down from 185mph to 50-45 mph... The addition of ABS on this bike has straightened this out. Must note here, did not change bearing because ABS was added! We change front and rear sets every year when bike is gone thru. Bearing changes both wheels cost me less than $50.00 USD. I still use original style factory bearings from Dealer!! I change rotors and shoe's (both wheels) twice a year, whether they need it or not.

Like other posters have said, you can do it yourself! send the difference to ST. Jude's......

Seems when you own a Harley or any other expensive Bike... People want your money...

Last edited by davidstipek; 03-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,000 Likes on 1,998 Posts

The abs bearings have pickups in it that signal the wheels speed to the abs computer. I don't know how it would know the wheel speed if you had regular non abs bearings in it?

davidstipek (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 12:13 PM
davidstipek
Intermediate

Our Drag bike uses 2 magnets mounted on rim 180 degree apart and fork mounted sensor to show bike speed and computer sends signal from here to monitor ABS. we have this installed on front and rear forks/rims...

Screamin Beagle... not sure how this differs from your setup...

Last edited by davidstipek; 03-25-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:11 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Whaddya expect? Those fancy racks they have to hang t-shirts and jackets on aren't exactly free...
Ha ha good one...but true.

Op you can buy a tool, get you hands dirty and reuse your bearings and spacers from your wheels, but bearings are cheap enough to do them at the same time.
Just Mark all spacers, washers, and follow the manual to get the wheel in the right spot left and right, it is important to put 1 bearing in first that sets the spacing and so on

davidstipek (04-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Wheel swap with bearings seems waaaaay too high?