Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Ruined Axel threading. New axel?

Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
let us know it you get an estimate and how much???

how long and weight of the axle. fit in priority box?
I have a buddy talking to some of his machinist friends, I'll report back when I get a price. If it takes too long , I'll just order the one online. I noticed a small crack in the axle, so def replacing it w a new one. Hopefully w better steel

Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

crack is most unusual. if so, needs to be reported to hd and national highway safety adm so as to document it to save lives. it can be NDT'd to rule out surface imperfection vs crack.
a good material to use is stainless steel. the hd axle is common material used in making bolts, nothing exotic.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear

Well after all this time I couldn't get what I wanted from a machinist, so ordered one from boardtracker.. it appears to have some small knicks and what I assume may be beginning stages of corrosion? Is this kind of finish normal ? Just ready to get it on the road again.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:34 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

It's fine...put some anti-sieze on it, install, Torque and RIDE

Btw, you can probably just rub that off with your hands/fingers.
If it would make you feel better, take a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper strip and some WD40 and rotate that axle while strip is in your hand... (clean the axle afterwards)

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
It's fine...put some anti-sieze on it, install, Torque and RIDE

Btw, you can probably just rub that off with your hands/fingers.
If it would make you feel better, take a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper strip and some WD40 and rotate that axle while strip is in your hand... (clean the axle afterwards)

that's good to hear. But now im wondering if I have a new problem.. decided to check the bearing before putting the tire on. Everything I've read here or watched indicates I should be able to move the bearing freely w my finger, but this isn't the case. I can't move it at all when just using my finger. So maybe I crushed it? Unless this is another deuce-Ism and they have different bearings for some reason

Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Ok, bring us "up to speed"...Why did you pull this wheel? I don't think you ever said. It's been all about your bad axle.

Did you replace bearings? What has changed?

Anyways...Grab both Right and Left bearings with each hand and turn the bearings and center spacer sleeve as an assembly...How does it feel?

But answer the questions above.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Herk driver
6th Gear

Ok, bring us "up to speed"...Why did you pull this wheel? I don't think you ever said. It's been all about your bad axle.

Did you replace bearings? What has changed?

Anyways...Grab both Right and Left bearings with each hand and turn the bearings and center spacer sleeve as an assembly...How does it feel?

But answer the questions above.
I originally pulled it just to take it in for a tire swap.. one of the lugs was seized up, so I had to be aggressive and ended up stripping some axle threading bc i used a pipe wrench to hold one side of the bare axle. Finally got the new axle and went to instal which is when I discovered the wheel bearings didn't move freely.

I did as you described.. held the wheel assembly up with one finger in each end.. had a friend try to rotate the tire but the bearing rotated along w the tire. Bike is an 07 but only has 8k.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

So you're saying you can't hold the inner races from rotating with your fingers while the outer races rotate with the wheel?

You'll be better off changing out the bearings

Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 AM
Herk driver
6th Gear

So you're saying you can't hold the inner races from rotating with your fingers while the outer races rotate with the wheel?

You'll be better off changing out the bearings
that is correct.. both inner and outer remain fixed.. as in the whole assembly rotates together around my finger.. I'm just befuddled as to how it would be so seized.. i mean I wasn't easy on the wheel taking it off but figured at worst, it may rotate w some kind of grinding. But no rotation whatsoever . I'll just replace them and be done with it . Now I'm just waiting to see what else pops up in this chain reaction haha

Old 05-11-2018, 01:36 AM
HarleyHappy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,144 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Okay this has gone from bad to really worse. Don't take this the wrong way but you should not be working on this bike without a manual and some supervision. If the outer race is actually turning in the hub you have serious issues. when I first read about the "crack" on your axle I kinda went ya right. If any bearing has siezed enough to create that kinda heat to crack an axle that would be really bad. You could try to float some Lock-Tite retaining compound in the outer races when installing new bearings and I do it all the time at work with machinery but never on 2 wheels and with my lihe on the line. Not quite sure you realize the possible outcome you could be faced with here. More than likely if the the outer races are turning in hub YOU NEED a new wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ruined Axel threading. New axel?