Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Wheel Spacers - Service/Parts Inconsistency

Old 10-08-2018, 10:27 AM
CamelRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers - Service/Parts Inconsistency

Wrenchers!

'08 FLHTCU non-ABS

I removed the front wheel for service. The Clymer's Service Manual is careful to point out a difference between left and right spacers:
Prior to removing the front axle, note the location of the short right side spacer and long left side spacer. The spacers are not interchangeable and must be reinstalled on the correct side during installation.
However, the two spacers are identical and are posing a problem.

The documentation calls for the short spacer on the right side and long spacer on the left side. After torquing the axle nut, it then suggests to pull the fork outward to meet the hole in the axle then torque down the fork slider cap nuts:
Insert a 7/16 in. drill bit into the hole in the front axle. Pull the fork leg up against the drill bit and hold it there. Tighten the nuts on the fork slider cap to 132-180 in.-lb.
The spacers have a length of 1" each. I assume they are the short spacers because there is quite a gap (3.7mm) between the right fork and the aforementioned axle hole. If I follow the procedure as described, that gap will be transferred to the inside of the forks giving almost 4mm of play.

The parts list for this model doesn't specify right/left; it simply states that qty of 2 (part #41901-08) are needed for non-ABS models.

Therefore, do I install a longer spacer as specified by the service manual or do I keep the spacers the existing size and modify the amount of gap needed between the forks? If the latter, how much of a gap is needed?

Thank you!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You suffer from the problem of having an aftermarket manual instead of the factory service manual! The Clymer and others try to cover a wide range of models and years, while H-D sell manuals for specific models and years and are much more reliable. I strongly recommend you get a proper FSM and use that other one - well you get my drift. You can check a parts website, which will confirm if you should have two identical spacers. You can also visit the Touring section, where there are plenty of 2008 Ultra owners hanging around who can provide first-hand experience.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:26 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by CamelRider
Wrenchers!
'08 FLHTCU non-ABS
I removed the front wheel for service. The Clymer's Service Manual is careful to point out a difference between left and right spacers:
Clymer missed the boat ... That procedure (and parts) are for 2000-07 Touring.

Your Non-ABS 2008 Touring uses identical spacers (as you found) and doesn't use the "Drill Bit Alignment Procedure"

The Right-side Spacer now does the spacing between the Bearing and Slider ... DO NOT pull slider out the Cross Drilled hole in your 25mm Axle

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM
CamelRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're exactly right! One of the things that through me off is a discoloration in the axle by the hole that appears as though the fork was originally positioned next to the hole. I didn't know to take note prior to disassembly but with the discrepancies during assembly you look for whatever clues you can to make sure you're doing it right. Unfortunately, the supposed "wear mark" was either a coincidence or it may be part of manufacturing and intended for relevant models.

The short of it is, 2008 FLHTCU non-ABS has same size spacers on each side. If you do pull out on the fork it will create free play in your wheel and you'll end up with erratic front brake behavior as I described in another post of mine. Thank you everyone for your advice!