Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Harley wheel bearings

Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Harley wheel bearings

I am planning on changing my rear wheel bearings on my 2015 Limited. I have ABS so according to the parts manual, it says one ABS bearing Pt number 9252A Ball Bearing with Encoder (item #2 on parts listing), and three non-ABS bearings Pt number 9276B, (item #3 on parts listing). So if I am looking at this correctly, one 9252A on left side and one 9276B on right side of rear wheel, AND two 9276B stacked one on top of the other on the Sprocket and Bearing Assembly (item #7). All the you tube videos I have watched don't address these bearings. Anything special to removing and installing the two bearings in the sprocket and bearing assembly?

See

Old 11-28-2018, 05:52 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

It's the two bearings in the sprocket that I am most concerned with. Has anyone done these two bearings or are they not as important as the ones in the wheel hub?

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

The bearings need to be pressed in/out, a specialty tool is available, but I found easy without. Pulley is aluminum and bearings are steel so I would use anti-seize, just make sure you start the bearing in straight from the start and you shouldn't have any problem.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,809 Posts

I don't think those pulley bearings get changed as often as the wheel bearings ... different load on those... But of course, you would want to check them

What bearing tool do you have? If it's the Pit Posse style, you may run the risk of marring the Outside of the pulley if you don't take precautions on the "Removal", although "Installation" shouldn't be a problem with a little creative use of the tool.

Harley makes as special fixture for removing those (as mentioned) and you might check with the dealer for the charge on doing the work, although any Indy or Machine Shop should be able to do it.

BTW, the 9252A ABS bearing is on the Right-Side. The illustration shows the "Right-side" to the Left

Old 11-28-2018, 01:15 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
The bearings need to be pressed in/out, a specialty tool is available, but I found easy without. Pulley is aluminum and bearings are steel so I would use anti-seize, just make sure you start the bearing in straight from the start and you shouldn't have any problem.
Is the second bearing just resting on the first bearing or just off of it so they don't touch?

Old 11-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master

Pressed in until they touch.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I don't think those pulley bearings get changed as often as the wheel bearings ... different load on those... But of course, you would want to check them
What bearing tool do you have? If it's the Pit Posse style, you may run the risk of marring the Outside of the pulley if you don't take precautions on the "Removal", although "Installation" shouldn't be a problem with a little creative use of the tool.
I bought George's Garage wheel bearing kit, and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow, Thursday. I have 46,576 miles on the original bearings and want to get them installed correctly.

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Harley makes as special fixture for removing those (as mentioned) and you might check with the dealer for the charge on doing the work, although any Indy or Machine Shop should be able to do it.

BTW, the 9252A ABS bearing is on the Right-Side. The illustration shows the "Right-side" to the Left
I pulled my front wheel today so I could look at it. The center spacer is not tight against the bearing, but has no end play either. It moves up and down, but not end to end.

If I turn the left bearing, the right bearing moves also. But, if I hold the right side bearing, I can still turn the left side bearing. So they are just barely touching the center spacer, but not hard enough to keep them locked together.

I then took a look at the wheels on my 2009 Ultra Classic, and the spacer is so tight that I can't turn one bearing w/o the other bearing turning, even if I hold one side, the other side moves it. There is no vertical movement of the spacer in my 2009 wheel, but there is vertical movement in my 2015 front wheel.

Book say to press in the bearing until any end play is gone. Is just kissing the bearing better than locking the two bearings together?

Never had any trouble with the 2009 and put 54K on it.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master

Yes, if too tight or too loose the bearing life could be shortened. The manual calls for the ABS bearing to be seated first, all else works off that.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Yep ... press second bearing until it just contacts spacer sleeve ... no end play

Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

I bought the George's Garage wheel bearing kit, which was scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, but didn't show up. It is now Friday at 8PM and not here yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I did ask George if his tool kit would remove and install the two bearings in the sprocket and bearing assembly. His response:

"Our kit 740010 is mainly used for pulling the bearings from the main hub. if you are able to place the puller cup and puller assembly on the sprocket assembly nice and square it should work also, however for installation of the bearing a shorter bolt would be required (not included in kit)."

So I just keep wondering about all the people who have changed their bearings in the wheel, probably are not be changing the bearings in the sprocket assy. (Where the drive belt goes)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley wheel bearings