Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Aftermarket non abs wheel to abs wheel (performance machine)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Aftermarket non abs wheel to abs wheel (performance machine)

debating on buying a new wheel. Is it possible if I bought a non abs wheel and swapped the bearings out to abs would I have any issues. A seller on eBay has a brand new performance machine rim non abs who says it possible long as I swap out to abs bearings. But before I do commit I’d like to know if anyone has done this before so I can save money in the long run as abs wheels are substantially more expensive compared to non abs wheels on eBay

bike is a 15 road glide special the wheel I’m looking at is a performance machine wheel that fits the standard road glide without abs

Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

The Wheels themselves are the same whether ABS or not.

Also FWIW, Performance currently (if they haven't changed) doesn't use an ABS bearing for ABS applications, they use a "Special" Encoder that fits on top of a Standard bearing.
It's Re-Usable You might see if you can get those pieces from Performance or just install ABS bearings

Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
The Wheels themselves are the same whether ABS or not.

Also FWIW, Performance currently (if they haven't changed) doesn't use an ABS bearing for ABS applications, they use a "Special" Encoder that fits on top of a Standard bearing.
It's Re-Usable You might see if you can get those pieces from Performance or just install ABS bearings
so basically a shim or spacer designed for abs to get a normal size bearing the width of an abs bearing?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Correct ... 3mm wide Encoder and spacer

See Pic and Attached PM Tech Bulletin

FYI, some time back PM wasn't making it easy for someone just to call up get those, but since you would be using PM wheels, it might be easier (also I'm pretty sure dealers could get them easy for ya)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PM-ABS-Wheel-Bulletin.pdf (742.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Thanks. Apparently they’re still hard to get so an abs bearing would be the way to go. Quick question if I were to install abs bearings would I have to remove both bearings to do so? I know installation of bearings requires you to install the primary bearing(which is the abs side ) first. Could I just leave the secondary bearing in or would it cause problems later down the road?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Not If you're careful ... You don't want to disturb the positioning of what would be normally the "second" bearing that has no "Stop" but the spacer sleeve that will now be loose. You don't want to pull against that bearing. So use your "Bridge" that you would normally use for Removal and use it (or really anything else you have that would serve the same purpose) to pull against the outside of the bearing bore on the opposite side of the bearing your trying to install.

Make sense?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Goose575
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not If you're careful ... You don't want to disturb the positioning of what would be normally the "second" bearing that has no "Stop" but the spacer sleeve that will now be loose. You don't want to pull against that bearing. So use your "Bridge" that you would normally use for Removal and use it (or really anything else you have that would serve the same purpose) to pull against the outside of the bearing bore on the opposite side of the bearing your trying to install.

Make sense?
multihdrdr I have been doing a ton of research regarding a front wheel swap, the one thing I have noticed is that you seem to be the authority on this subject so I hope you can answer this for me. I have a 2013 Street Glide and I am looking to swap out the stock front wheel for a 21", now here is my question. So I already have determined that my '13 uses the 25mm axle, the wheel I am looking at uses the 1" axle. I could swap the 1" bearings to 25mm bearings and use my axle and spacers but, could I leave the 1" bearings in the wheel and order a 1" axle and spacer kit to run the wheel as is?? I know it would probably be more cost effective to just swap bearing but is it possible to use a 1" axle? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by Goose575
... I have a 2013 Street Glide ... uses the 25mm axle, the wheel I am looking at uses the 1" axle.... could I leave the 1" bearings in the wheel and order a 1" axle and spacer kit to run the wheel as is?? ...
Assuming that existing Aftermarket 21" wheel was already a "Perfect fit" on the Donor Bike then YES.

Use 2000-07 axle spacers and follow the Right Side Slider Alignment Procedure (2000-07 - Drill Bit through Cross drilled hole in axle)

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-24-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Goose575
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming that existing Aftermarket 21" wheel was already a "Perfect fit" on the Donor Bike then YES.

Use 2000-07 axle spacers and follow the Right Side Slider Alignment Procedure (2000-07 - Drill Bit through Cross drilled hole in axle)

The 21 is new from a vendor so just using a 1" axle and spacers and aligning the rotors within the calipers will work is what you're saying right?

Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

If the wheel was designed for use on a 2000-07 Touring Bike (which means it was designed for 1"ID x 21mm wide bearings), then YES, you can install it on your 2013 when you ...
Use 2000-07 axle spacers and follow the Right Side Slider Alignment Procedure (2000-07 - Drill Bit through Cross drilled hole in axle).

Quick Reply: Aftermarket non abs wheel to abs wheel (performance machine)