Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

CAREUD TPMS System

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
TPMS is a nice option, it will tell you of the impending danger and blowout if you don't fix the air loss.
So you didn't read Bustert's post correcting your thinking on the topic ?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
mmclaughlin316@yahoo.com
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I put one on my 2016 FLHP over the holidays. Modified the handlebar bracket that came with it so it sits close to the bars and tight to the handlebar cover on the left side, but I can still get to the buttons. I also hardwired it into an ignition/accessory hot inside the nacelle using a 12 volt to usb adapter and a usb extension cord with right angle plug into the display unit. It's been working great so far, the PSI it reads is +/- 1 from my quality digital gauge. I like the way it "goes to sleep" within about a minute of no movement of the bike, so I'm thinking the wheel sensor batteries will last awhile.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Ordered one and it arrived today. Put it on one bike sitting in the garage just to test if it works. Took some fiddling to figure how to do the settings but it seems to work OK. My only real concern is if the caps leak air. I am going to leave it on this bike for a while and just see how well it holds before I put them on my RG. I am only going to use it as an easy way to check pressure and not really as a monitor for now. No plans on mounting the unit on my bars.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Update! Best I can tell is this thing is absolute junk! Mine has already quit responding to button inputs, can't get it to turn off, instructions are useless. Lost tire information after I plugged it in to top off the charge and cannot get it to recognize the pressure caps again. Waste of $60 :

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (02-05-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 02:15 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Have the Garmin system built into my GPS. Love having them. The metal stems are a must, I didn't listen and on my first run the rear cap hit the rear brake caliper and ripped the rubber stem in half. Instant deflation and destroyed the cap so I had to buy another @$60. I was lucky that was all I had to do. I ended up getting metal T valve stem so the cap I up top and the I can fill the tires much easier.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 434 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
I had to search on what you are referring and turns out mine looks to be the same; several vendors of this same product. I have used mine for several months, the screen holds a charge for months and had no issues with the sensors. Setup is a bit of a pain but once you figure out the logic flow of setup, works well. Seems very accurate and I use and monitor with every ride.

Attachment 596510
I used this thing all of last year. Once I got it set right, it was great. Only reason I quit using it was I traded for a 2020 w TPMS. I had about 25K miles on it last year.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Disagree. Tpms is not for lazy people. Its for those who like to know if a tire STARTS to lose air while riding. Not everything is a blowout or easily noticed especially if riding straight...now corner on a low tire and see the fun. Do what works for you but many less set in our ways enjoy new tech that enhances safety.
I agree with you. Even more important is learning that a tyre is losing pressure while riding. I had that while on a long touring holiday, 2-up and fully loaded, and it would have been great to pull in somewhere safe before the wretched tyre was flat! Unfortunately I haven't found a decent looking aftermarket TPMS yet. Do new Harleys have them?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:41 PM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 434 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I agree with you. Even more important is learning that a tyre is losing pressure while riding. I had that while on a long touring holiday, 2-up and fully loaded, and it would have been great to pull in somewhere safe before the wretched tyre was flat! Unfortunately I haven't found a decent looking aftermarket TPMS yet. Do new Harleys have them?
CVOs have had TPMS since 2016. In 2020, models equipped with RDRS include TPMS as part of that package.

The following 2 users liked this post by biglew55:
ABQ-Jammer (02-05-2020), grbrown (01-28-2020)