Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Rear Wheel replacement on an '01 Road King.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rear Wheel replacement on an '01 Road King.

I just acquired an '01 Road King. Though a veteran of many different HDs over the past 40+ years, I've found that each model has some pretty distinct aspect, so best not to assume anything until you gather your facts. In this case, I'm considering replacing the wheels on this bike. When purchased a few weeks ago it came with both a dead battery, and a bald/flat rear tire. Other than that, the bike is clean and in good shape. It has the stock HD 16" spoke wheels which I'm not particularly fond of, so I'd like to replace those with some 'cast' wheels, and I have several sets here to work with. I also own an '05 Ultra Classic, and recently changed those wheels from 'spoke' to 'cast'.....and while doing so I purchased a few different sets before I actually got around to making the change. As it ended up, I have a set of the cast 'wagon wheel' types, as well as a set of the 'Airstrike' wheels left over, and I'm thinking about putting one of these two on the Road King. In removing the old wheel, I noted the 3/4" rear axle......which means the 1" bearings on either set of cast wheels would have to be replaced. No problem, I have a puller and proper bearings and inner bearing sleeve spacers. Good to go there! These are also the 3" rim width cast wheels, so 'tire' fitment shouldn't be a problem either. But, that's one of my two questions: In needing to replace the tire, I'm wondering just how wide a 'new' tire I can go with before I start getting interference problems? The 'stock' tire is a MT90B-16. My Ultra Classic uses a MU85B-16. With the '01 still having a 1.5" drive belt, I'm wondering if the MU85 will hit the belt.... or even the swing arm? Or, if I were to put a small spacer behind the pulley, would that create interference problem with the pulley now hitting the swing arm.....or perhaps the belt hitting inside the inner primary by running off the trans drive pulley? Bottom line; What options, if any, have I got here? Many thanks! Tom D.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

That MU85 is a "140" tire and the widths can vary slightly between manufacturers. Typically they are very close to rubbing 1-1/2" belt. They may clear the belt moving Fwd and Rev, but some clear going forward, but rub slightly in reverse (some people run them that way).

They're are pulley spacers made (and state) that they are for your exact application (ie. "Running a 140 Tire on a Touring Bike with a 1-1/2" belt"). Your Front sprocket is wide enough to handle that New outward location of the belt, although your belt guard may need to be trimmed

Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've used the stock MT/130 rear tyre that came on my new 1990 Glide, also later on a 140 and 150, at present a 160. The stock 3" wheels are suitable for use with 130/140/150 tyres. My 140 would only fit after trimming part of the inner rubber skirt of the belt guard, or would obviously work without it. I was only able to make a 150 work by using a later spec narrower belt. As for using spacers, check your current clearances, between pulley and swingarm - I certainly had none worth trying to use!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

Sorry for the late response to my own thread there. Been out with some 'health' issues, but also seems I'm not 'subscribed' as well. Not sure why, but I guess I need to get in to my profile and make sure it's properly set up.

Multihdrdr, do you know where one might be able to find that spacer?

Graham, I think I'm going to try to stick a temporary rear wheel on this bike......a 'spoke' wheel that was on my '05 Ultra Classis. It has one of the Metzler 'American' tires on it...but I'm not sure just which one. We had 6" of snow today, so going out to my garage is probably not going to happen for a while. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not you who replace the swing arm on your bike with a later model.....one for use with a 1" axle and a bit longer? I believe my '01 here might benefit from something like that, and if I end up keeping the bike, then I can see myself making that modification. If that was you, I'd appreciate your comments on having completed the project.

Tom D.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by wharfcreek
Multihdrdr, do you know where one might be able to find that spacer?
Here's a couple ...
Vulcan 2000-03 FL Rear Sprocket Spacer
Pingel 2000-03 FL Rear Sprocket Spacer

The Vulcan is very inexpensive $13.12 ... I've helped people with Wheels who have used it and stated it worked as it should being that they are marketed for your exact application.

Pingel's Blurb... (Vulcan's is similar)
"This Rear Sprocket Spacer allows the installation of tires up to 142mm wide on 2000-2003 H-D FL models without any other modification to the motorcycle. This easy to install spacer fits between the rear rim and the rear belt sprocket and will allow the use of the Dunlop 142mm wide rear tire, the standard on all 2004 through 2006 FL Series motorcycles. There is no extra machining or parts needed to install."
People who use as reference how close the 04-later Sprocket is to the swing-arm, think how can a spacer fit under that Sprocket? Well, even though the 1-1/2" sprocket is wider, the offset is different and has room for the spacer.

The 1-1/2" Sprocket will end up very very close to the swing-arm

Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wharfcreek
Graham, I think I'm going to try to stick a temporary rear wheel on this bike......a 'spoke' wheel that was on my '05 Ultra Classis. It has one of the Metzler 'American' tires on it...but I'm not sure just which one. We had 6" of snow today, so going out to my garage is probably not going to happen for a while. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not you who replace the swing arm on your bike with a later model.....one for use with a 1" axle and a bit longer? I believe my '01 here might benefit from something like that, and if I end up keeping the bike, then I can see myself making that modification. If that was you, I'd appreciate your comments on having completed the project.

Tom D.
Tom, yes I swapped to a 2007 swingarm on my 1990 Glide, along with a matching Touring wheel and brake - but have moved on since to a later Brembo caliper set-up and Deuce rear wheel. I use a 1" axle and 1 1/8" belt, the Touring axle works fine with the Softail wheel. Tha later swingarm is longer than my stock one, moving the wheel rearwards, so I had to change to a different length of belt. IIRC the later style of beefed up s/a was introduced in 2002 and upgraded slightly a few years later, possibly 2007.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser

Yea, I thought I remembered you having done all that. With my Road King being an '01, it still has the 3/4" rear axle. For me and on this bike, I'm honestly not sure just how critical it is to make all the changes to the newer swing arm, shocks, axle, and all. Particularly since I won't be riding the bike 'loaded' to any degree. My girlfriend and I may take it 'two up' on some local rides, but I won't be putting any significant miles on it with both of us, plus a lot of gear. I've got both an '05 and an '07 Ultra Classic, and if I were to go on a long trip one of those two bikes would be the horse I'd ride. I also have an '01 Fatboy.....and I believe it too has a 3/4" rear axle. I've put over 65,000 trouble free miles on that bike.....just tires, brake pads, and routing maintenance. (this after having done a LOT of engine modification at about 8K miles). So, I guess I'm not too concerned about just leaving the back end of the Road King alone. But, this Road King also has the spoke wheels on it, and I don't particularly like those. While to some they still look cool, I'm just not 'in' to all the clean-up, plus I believe the cast wheels to be both 'stronger' from a 'pot-hole' resistance perspective, plus an 'on-road' puncture can be repaired with a plug, vs having to pull the wheel and change an inner tube. (not to mention 'clean-up'). So, changing the wheels to 'cast' is a big part of this. And, a bigger tire is also a 'plus' if I can get away with it as well. If I understand that process, with the 1.5" pulley, I'll need to either stick with the MT90B-16 rear tire, OR......if I go with something bigger, I'll need to either space the pulley out, or swap to the 1 1/8" belt.

When I got both my '05 Ultra Classic it had those 'profile' Spoke wheels on it. Actually, I had originally been 'negotiating' to buy an '07 Ultra, but the seller of that dragged his feet. The '05 came along at a pretty good price, so I bought it. The seller of the '07 then decided to let it go, called me, and when I told him I'd bought the '05 he rather panic'd. He dropped his price to the point where I couldn't say 'no'......so I ended up with a second Ultra....thinking I'd put both up for sale this spring and just keep which ever one didn't sell first. Then the Road King came along.....in beautiful condition and at a price I couldn't turn down. So.....suddenly I've got 3 'touring' bikes. The '07 had the 'cast' Wagon Wheels on it...which I really liked. I ended up buying a used set in perfect condition which I put on the '05. So, I still have the 'profile' wheels off the '05, and they have perfectly good tires on them. The rear tire on the Road King was bald as a new-born baby's ***! Plus the tube leaked. So.....I pulled the rear wheel, removed the tire, and I've been cleaning it up for the past week. But, I'm thinking if I can fit the '05 Ultra's 'Profile wheels and tires, then I might put those on the Road King as a 'temporary' set, just to be able to ride the bike some. This is where the questions about fitment of the tire with the 1.5" pulley come from. In the end, I think I'm going to put a set of the either Wagon type wheels, or the Airstrike wheels on the Road King. I'm just not sure if doing this will 'increase' or 'decrease' it's value. Personally, I'd rather have the cast wheels. But. like I said, some people really like the more 'traditional' spoke wheels, and this 'stock' spoke wheel has cleaned up beautifully. I did buy a new MT90B-16 rear tire, along with a new inner tube. So, in the end, I may just put that on it and call it a day. We'll see. But, I still don't know what it's future will be.........so....decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Again, thanks for your help! I've seen a lot of your posts, as well as I recall you've posted on some of my prior threads as well. So......many thanks.....and best wishes in 2019!!

Ride Safe!

Tom D.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Tom, I'll simply say that your '07 has the rear end that I have essentially grafted onto my old '90 Glide! You've certainly set yourself a challenge in deciding a pathway through your three Touring bikes!