Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Can this be right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can this be right?

I bought a set of rims off a 2018 Road Glide Special to install on a 2017 Road Glide. The front rim came with rotors and still had the stock tire on which was new, still had the nubs on it.
The rear rim didn't have a tire.
I brought the rims to my dealer to have the bearings replaced to the non abs bearings. Only thought I needed to replace one on each rim. The dealer told me I had to replace all four bearings to do it right, whatever.
I get the call that everything is done and my bill is $455.10!
Can that be right? 4 bearings, and 1 rear tire, 1 hour labor? They quoted me the tire at $251 before installation.
Then he tells me I still might need a spacer on the rims when installing?
Why would I need a spacer?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

but it's a harley!
here, shop rate is well over 100 dollars an hour. the mark up on the bearings (not made by hd) is quite high also. when dealing with farmed out work, mc or auto, it is best to get a written estimate and they must call to "OK" any deviation.
yep, i feel your pain and you did get the works without vasoline. at that rate, you could buy a fsm and any tools you needed and did the work yourself with change left over. i could do all the work for less than 100 bucks easy.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

$75 is what you could of done this for.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

You could have asked what their price would be before leaving your wheels with them! You can check the price for the bearings and tyre on Ronnies parts website, which only leaves the labour for doing the work.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I didn't do my homework for sure. I know I could of picked up a cheaper back tire but the OCD in me wanted it to match the front.
What's it cost if you don't take the rim off the bike to have a tire replaced? I wont be finding that out!
I'm still confused on possibly needing a spacer any way. I thought by taking both bearings out and pressing them in with would center the wheel. Why would I need a spacer?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

That'll learn ya.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

One bearing bottoms in hub on outer bearing ring. The inner tube spacer slides in and the opposite inner ring of the bearing bottoms on the tube inner spacer. On a Harley wheel, that one bottoming bearing always goes in on a certain side called out in service manual. ( That is what puts the caliper rotor in proper place).

That one bearing installed last does not bottom in hub since it would require that inner wall in hub to be next to impossible to control.
It is a press fit but it is not against and shoulder.
When your torque axle nut, it is thru inner bearing rings and inner tube axle. ( Not to outer bearing rings which would destroy bearing)
Spacer dealer is talking about is outer spacer .

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:03 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RED_5
I bought a set of rims off a 2018 Road Glide Special to install on a 2017 Road Glide. The front rim came with rotors and still had the stock tire on which was new, still had the nubs on it.
The rear rim didn't have a tire.
I brought the rims to my dealer to have the bearings replaced to the non abs bearings. Only thought I needed to replace one on each rim. The dealer told me I had to replace all four bearings to do it right, whatever.
I get the call that everything is done and my bill is $455.10!
Can that be right? 4 bearings, and 1 rear tire, 1 hour labor? They quoted me the tire at $251 before installation.
Then he tells me I still might need a spacer on the rims when installing?
Why would I need a spacer?
abs bearings are larger than standard bearings so the primary shim that goes behind the primary bearing had to be switched out to bring it to the size of an abs bearing or else you’d risk bearing failure from overload when tightening the axle . My guess is the dealer used 2 two wheel install kits from hd which run about 60-65 a kit, front and rear kits are different you can’t just use one kit for both. Also to balance tires might have been extra. You took it to the dealer what were you expecting? It’s a simple job but if you’re not knowledgeable on certain things they will make you open up your wallet

Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

delete

Last edited by Schex; 02-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Price sounds about right to me. Although I change my own tires and bearings so I would not have to pay for the labor. Although changing bearings require a tool to press the bearing into place and you will need a manual to know what side to install first. Then since you are swapping the wheels, spacers will always be something you will need to change to get the rear brake , rear pulley and tire as centered as possible. I know because I installed 2018 fat bob wheels on my 09 fat bob. Would of cost thousands if I paid a shop to do it but since I did it myself it was much cheaper and I learned **** on the way.
I would most likely charge someone even more than a shop would to do the same job unless they wanted to be hands on and learn as we go.
I would do it for weed then. LOL

Quick Reply: Can this be right?