Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Dunop D407S Front Tire on the 2009 H-D FLHTCUSE4 (CVO Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic)

Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
MatureHarleyMan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dunop D407F Front Tire on the 2009 H-D FLHTCUSE4 (CVO Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic)

I bought the 2009 FLHTCUSE4 at the end of July 2008 ... the very beginning of the 2009 model year. A year later, July 2009, on a group ride, it was called to my attention by a gentleman who identified himself as a motorcycle tire salesman that my front tire was significantly worn down. I remarked that that was impossible because I only had about 9,500 miles on the odometer! He insisted.

The following week, at a biker rally in Maryland where I live, a knowledgable attendee from Alabama made similar, unsolicited remarks about my front tire while complimenting me about my bike. He called my attention to what he called serious "cupping" on the tire. He also stated that Harley-Davidson Corp., in the middle of the 2009 model year, had changed the new tires used on their new 2009 FLHTCUSE4's to the Dunlop D408F. What was astounding to me was that he also said that the tire tread design was allegedly REVERSED on the D408F !!

This new information put me in fear for my life and the lives of my passengers insofar as it now appears that I'm not only riding on a very "worn-down" tire with less than 10K miles on it (possibly tires, plural) and that, besides that fact, that front tire is now obsolete in H-D's mid-model-year as far as H-D and Dulap are involved!

My '09 was delivered to the H-D dealership 3 days ago for its 10K service and I have made a warranty claim for the replacement of the front tire which, of course, precludes its replacement with another Dunlap D-407F. I am seeking replacement of the front tire with the Dunlap D408F.

I was told by H-D Customer Service that the Company and Dunlop are aware of complaints from cutomers regarding the D-407F and that they are working towards a resolution.

However, the 2 H-D Customer Service Reps that I spoke with about this matter seemed intent on finding out if I had "issues" with rideablitly, such as shaking or vibration, etc. My reply to them was, "Vibration and/or shaking, as compared to what??" As the owner of 3 Electra Glides, it seems to me that they all "vibrate" and "shake" to some extent, including the bike in question, the CVO Ultra (FLHTCUSE4). (In my opinion, the bike in question doesn't have a "rideability" problem ... it has a worn tire(s) and possibly an incorrect and/or inappropriate tread pattern(s) problem.)

It seemed to me that the H-D Customer Service Reps were "setting me up" for a later denial of my warranty claim on the basis of "rideability" as opposed to my claim of a safety hazard (without the "rideability" issue). It further seems to me, that besides the extraordinary "wear" that I can see and feel on that tire, there's the question of why was the TREAD PATTERN reversed or changed on the newer D-408F which was put on the new 2009's in mid-model-year??? ISN'T THE TREAD PATTERN ON A TIRE PRIMARILY TO SAFELY, EFFECTIVELY AND EFFICIENTLY MOVE WATER ON THE ROAD SURFACE AWAY FROM THE TIRE??? If that's so, then the fact that the tread pattern has been reversed or changed from that which is on the D-407F to that which is on the D-408F tells me that I'm in jeopardy by continuing to use the D-407F. [READERS NOTE: I have not personally seen the tread pattern on the newer D-408F, so I can't attest to the statement that it's an "exact reversal" of the pattern on the D-407F. However, I've been told by knowledgeable others that it is a reversal; and, one of the 2 H-D Customer Service Reps confirmed that the tread design was, in fact, "changed" on the newer D-408F]

So, anyway, there you have it. The matter for me at this point is still unresolved. My '09 FLHTCUSE4 ... also known as the Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide ... also known as the CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide ... is still at the H-D dealership awaiting a resolution of my complaint about the tire(s).

Last edited by MatureHarleyMan; 07-24-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: To correct the model number of the tire
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
MatureHarleyMan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dunlop 407F Front Tire on the H-D 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (CVO Screamin' Eagle Ultra)

[Reposted from the Forum, "Screamin Eagle CVO Models]

Well, for my 10K service appointment with the out-of-State dealership from whom I purchased the bike, I put in a warranty claim for the Dunlop D407F which came with my early-in-the-model-year 2009 FLHTCUSE4, claiming that the tire was worn down and cupping on one side of the tire at 10,500 miles. Dealer had the mechanic test ride the bike and he reported no shaking or shimmying of the front end, so they denied the warranty claim. If I wanted a new tire it'd be at my cost and they'd only replace the tire with another D407F insofar as H-D Corp. allegedly told them that they were to sell their remaining stock of that tire prior to selling the replacement tire, D408F. The dealership alleged that they had 6 more of the D407F in stock, so they couldn't sell me the D408F even if they wanted to.

I told the Service Manager that that was a crock of S. By their actions, I said, they'd lost a repeat customer for good. (I'm locked into their service department for routine maintenance up to 30K miles insofar as I purchased their service plan in advance when I bought the 2009 bike in July 2008, at the beginning of the 2009 model year. However, I will not buy a damned thing from that dealer from here on out.)

I told them to leave on the disputed tire in question and that I'd get an independent shop to remove it and I'd get another brand to replace it. What the Service Manager DIDN'T tell me is that I'm locked into the Dunlop D407F or the D408F insofar as no other manufacturer makes a front tire for that bike, which I learned later on. And, one can ONLY purchase those tires from a H-D dealer. One canot purchase the tire directly from Dunlop. Another crock of S, eh?

I called my H.O.G. club's local, sponsoring dealership within my State and found that they had a D408F arriving this past Friday and they were happy to sell it to me; so, I had them put it on the bike. I have no idea if it's any better than the D407F, but mysteriously, the tread design on the replacement D408F is exactly opposite that of the original D407F. Does that tell me something??? Another crock of S. The D408F cost me $161 and the labor and shop fees came to $83. The local dealership gave me a H.O.G. discount of $16 and, with the sales tax, it cost me about $237 to replace that piece of S tire.

Some officials at H-D Corp. and Dunlop Tire Corp. need to read Dale Carnegie's old book, "How To Win Friends And Influence People," or I can see them going bye-bye just like General Motors.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got 13,000 out of my 407F. Ordered a new one from:

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

Told them to not send a 407F because I would not except it, and would return it. Got the 408F a week later. Arranged my own installation. The rest is history. My dealer showed me the same instructions from Harley to sell out the stock first. They wanted almost $170 for a 407F. I got the 408F from the above dealer shipped to my door for a little over $100.00, and they are a Harley Dealer. I order everything from them or Chicago HD. They have the best price.

And yes the tread pattern is reversed and it appears to be the only change. Replaced my rear at the same time. It was just plain worn out.

Last edited by tmcgeesr; 08-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM
pmedic433
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my 09 Ultra for oil sender and ABS reflash, I also mentioned the front tire cupping. They replaced the front tire under warranty. The replacement is a 407, but I will get another 7800 miles then see if they will replace with a 408.