Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Slime in Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM
chevytrain07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slime in Tires??

What preventative measures are you all taking to protect your tires from flats?

Also, do you carry a hasty repair kit with you?

I carry an assortment of crap that I call a "tire kit" for my car and truck, but with no storage space on my nightrain, I was wondering if sliming the tires is a pretty good idea and won't be harmful??

Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

I carry a plug kit and small pump just to get me to a new tire. Have wondered about the slime myself

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

I've used slime in small, low pressure tires where balance is not important such as a garden tractor, pull behind mower, wheel barrow, etc. It take a substantial amount to plug even the smallest hole cause by a thorn. It also dries out over time and I have to add more to reseal the same puncture. I would never use it as a preventitive measure in a high speed tire where balance is important, especially a motorcycle tire were pressure and balance are critical.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use "ride-on" in my tires. google it.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Prog Rocker
Advanced
Exclamation Caveat to using "slime" in motorcycle tires

You might want to check with your tire's manufacturer about what their warranty policies are regarding the use of tire sealants. As far as I know, pretty much all of the majors frown upon the use of them and in fact their use will void their warranties. Just saying.

Cheers

Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM
ZChan
Cruiser

I carry a plug kit and small Slime pump. Used it once. It worked. But I use tubeless tires with non spoked wheels. Don't know how I would fix a tube tire like the front of your Nighttrain.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is a last resort, using slime or any other liquid tire sealant. That crap gets everywhere and does harden in the tire over time. It makes a big mess. Tube tires can only be repaired by removing the tube and patching it.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Been Considering Ride and Go even bought the kit for the next change .. But not until hear some first hand feedback from it beside the biased report from the company that makes it .. It's pretty heartbreaking to have a flat when have less than 1,000 miles on the tire which happened to me the last tire change ..

Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM
halnwheels
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prog Rocker
You might want to check with your tire's manufacturer about what their warranty policies are regarding the use of tire sealants. As far as I know, pretty much all of the majors frown upon the use of them and in fact their use will void their warranties. Just saying.

Cheers
Old thread but important to anyone looking for this info. I agree, it voids the warranty in many cases, messes up your valve, and your dealer or tire service will hate you.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 AM
reverand roadblock
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what your wheel will look like if you leave Slime in there. Use it to get home then clean it out. Notice the thumb sized wad that formed and was rolling around in the tire...can't be good for balancing. Moreover, this stuff ruined the seal at the bead.

Quick Reply: Slime in Tires??