Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Sealed rear wheel bearing chronic meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM
siubosn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed rear wheel bearing chronic meltdown

My 08 crossbones seems to have a repeating self destruct sealed rear wheel bearing issue. Anyone else having or had this type problem?i had to replace the rear wheel,axel,bearing assembly,the works, less than a year ago.i don't hard ride the bike,careful about belt adjustment,tire pressure ect...i don't overload the bike.i'm wondering if i'm the only lucky soul to be dealing with this problem?overall,the bike has been good ie reliable.the dealer put new rubber and pads front and rear less than 500 miles ago.nothing mentioned about shitty bearings.
I am now 1500 miles from my neighborhood dealing with this again.
Anyone?
Highroad in the black hills

Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoever is putting in the bearings are setting them in too tight.

The bearings are single row ball bearings. When setting the bearings in the wheel one side has a lip, (left side I think, Primary side) that the bearing sets down to. From the other side the spacer goes in. Then that side bearing. This bearing should not just be set "till tight". This will jam the ***** hard against the inner and outer races. Shouldn't do this.

It should be set till the inside spacer just touches the bearings" inside" race. You can fell this with your finger as you set the bearing.

This way the bearing, which carrries both up and down AND sideways load, can roll free in its structure.

If set in too tight it will run hot and fail very early.

After all done the wheel should roll freely and easyly when all installed and tighten down BUT before the brake caliper is put on, which has a little drag.

I also like SKF bearings from a bearing supply store. These things are highly counterfitted.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 05-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
McCormack090305
Advanced

Find a new dealership to get your work done at. There is probably some hack mechanic back there driving your bearings in with a hammer and tightening your axle with a breaker bar. I've seen this happen on a couple Fat Boy rear wheels, but it was always the backyard mechanic, or the bike's owner's buddy who was a mechanic thinking he knew what he was doing.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM
richardegamezjr
Novice
Default Rear wheel Bearings Crossbones

Only 32000 miles, albeit hard riding and lots of rain! Didn't even notice this till after I got home!

Attached Thumbnails Sealed rear wheel bearing chronic meltdown-image.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

You didn't notice that? You are one lucky rider.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
DBHCrossbones
Stage II

well, this thread is the reason I finally joined as a member here, My second post is this one, my first being my intro thread.

I too, had a rear bearing failure on my 08 Crossbones. I looked into the tools needed and bought them all. seen a youtube or two about it and went to town...Got everything assembled back together and somethings just didnt look right, or feel right for that matter. Clearances were different on both sides...I could see it, but did not realize exactly what I did wrong with re assembly. So, I googled my problem and it lead me to this thread. (btw, I read here in these forums how to remove my primaries and change rear drive belt for the first time ...some time last year).. anyway... on the youtube, a seemingly decent rider did his rear bearings and said to re seat the drive (left side) first.. so I did, thats where my troubles began. so GUNNY, you sir are ACES !!! after just looking at my rear, and one trip around the block, I knew something was up. This thread and gunny's re assembly tips set me back straight !! set the disc (right side) bearing first, gives the tolerances for both sides, as the right bearing actually seats to the hilt, only then place the spacer and left bearing.. after re doing all this, My bike is back OTR and I am one happy on my own bike fixer.. thanks for the tips Gunny and ya'll who piped in on differnt things about the ins and outs of this project.. I now know that I do not need to read other forums, This HD Forums rocks.. you all rock and thanks
DBH Crossbones ( Dan H )

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Good stuff for doing it on your own man, you sure right about the valuable info from everybody here at HD Forums

And big thanks for the info you have provided,

We got a lot of hack "technicians" at our dealers too and very very reluctant to let others do work on my bike

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 01-17-2016, 12:09 AM
richardegamezjr
Novice

Looks like I'm lucky again! Or just very fortunate to have at least one very good mechanic that goes the distance in checking things out for me! Turns out the wheel that was rebuilt after my bearing failed (sometime during a 100 mile trip home, the final leg of my journey ( I didn't notice it until the next morning! Luckily I took a straight route home rather than the curves! Any way that was at about 30K. 14000 miles later, back in Hawaii (move between El Paso and Korea every few years) and Chase from White Knuckle how wrong this wheel was built, even the laces were opposite against the holes and the wheel was way to far too the left. Spacers were used on both sides. He tells me that had I been a different kind of rider this would have failed too! Now I'm going with an 06 smooth forged wheel off, I believe, the Springer Softail FX the first 17" wheel and will keep the front pretty stock (but stainless steel spokes. Any thoughts?