Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Balancing Beads - A Real Life Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
imdamnedifido
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your response. I understand what you are saying and my concern is that two ounces of beads may not be enough to balance since they are going to balance the wheel, rotor, sprocket etc as a rotating assembly. If go thru the process and have a vibration...add more beads or break the bead rotate the tire on the rim. this made me wonder if buying a certain tire might be beneficial.
I realize this might be considered over thinking a thing but I hate doing things twice.
Tks Brad

Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
tonygret
Tourer

imdamnedifido,

So your question is, "If the tire and wheel assembly is more than 2 ounces out of balance, will 2 ounces of beads be enough?". I had this same thought; my rear wheel was 4 ounces out and my front 2 ounces. I used 2 ounces of beads in both and it worked. According to the bead makers, the amount of beads is based on the size of the tire not the amount of regular weights that would be required. I would think if the assembly was grossly out of balance it would indicate a bad tire or wheel and balancing in any manner to overcome that wouldn’t be prudent.

As for other assemblies that spin with the wheel and tire, if there is a severe out of balance issue with those it would be a problem no matter how you balance the tire and some diagnostics would be in order. They do make finish balancers (very expensive) that can be used with the wheel and tire mounted on the vehicle, but I have never seen one used on a motorcycle.

Last edited by tonygret; 06-29-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

For those that say the Dyna Beads (or any other beads) don't work, or are snake oil or a gimmick. I say read a book sometime Dude.

It is called physics, and they work great. There is no debate whether they work or not, because it would be like arguing the law of gravity is a gimmick.

You also get a smooth as glass ride at all speeds, because they self adjust.

I'll never use anything else to balance my bike tires.

My beads installed quite easily. I used an engraver and held it against the valve stem and not the applicator hose. The beads just flowed in smoothly. If you don't have an engraver, see if you can borrow your wife's *****. You know the one with the six "D" batteries. That should work equally well.

Here is a Youtube video with a very good demonstration of how it works, except they're using ball bearings on a small trailer wheel, but the principle is the same.

-

Last edited by Stubby3492; 07-31-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've read a lot of threads about balancing motorcycle tires. I have been changing motorcycle tires since 1971 and have NEVER balanced one and have NEVER had any problems. Every time I change a tire on one of the bikes, I tell myself that, if I notice any balance issues (vibration, wobble...), I will take the wheel in to be balanced, but I have NEVER needed to do that. Every bike I have ever purchased - if it had wheel weights on it, I took them off and again NEVER observed any handling issues. I suppose it is possible to buy a tire that is so out of balance that it needs weights or beads, but I ain't ever run into one that bad yet.

The following users liked this post:
mrbreezeett1 (04-03-2020)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Lone Star Adams
Stage I

I have the beads (not sure of brand) in my rear tire. Never had the smallest problem. It was installed when tire was mounted. Gonna put them in the new front when I get it. On the other tires they were put on a high speed balancer and always required weights.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with Ride-on with about 15k on the wheels with no problems. Ride-on will seal a small puncture but the beads don't. My 2 cents!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

I recently had new tires put on my bike by a different Indy than i had been using. I gave him Dyna Beads to put in the new tires and warned him that Dyna Beads were in the old tires too, so he could avoid making a mess in his shop when he removed the old tires.
Turns out there were no beads in the old tires. Old Indy was charging me for them but not putting them in. Bike still rode smooth.
Not sure if i'll bother with them in my next tires.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

I added the Dyna Beads to my wheels because I did not want weights on my newly powercoated wheels, they appear to work fine and my indy checkd the wheels/tires for ballance before he installed them on the bike and said they were perfect, may be snake oil but I find it hard to believe tht the powdercoated wheels and tires where perfectly ballanced prior to adding the beads but I did not have them checked before putting the beads in.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:45 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced
Default Beads

Originally Posted by tonygret
OK, first I have no affiliation with any bead balancing company. I am an IT person by trade now. However, I used to be a ASE certified master technician and have balanced thousand of tires. I have used bubble balancers, static balancers, home made balancers, spin balancers and finish or On Car balancers. They all have their place and seem to do the job. I have been highly skeptical of this bead solution since I first heard of them.

The ONLY reason I even considered them was the purchase of chrome custom wheels for my 2009 HD Low-rider. As you can see by the images attached, the dealer added BLACK stick on weights to both sides of the rim. 2.0 ounces in the front alone. As far as I was concerned, this was unacceptable. That made me start looking into the bead balancing with earnest.

I checked out al the Dyna Bead threads and that led me to the CounterAct Beads. I don't know why, but something about the CounterAct Beads intrigued me. I found them on line at a near by (60 miles away) tire supply dealer. I called them and they told me they deal in trucks only and sell tons of this stuff. They said they couldn't help me and directed me back to the manufacturer for motorcycle applications.

The guy from CounterAct was very helpful. He directed me to a site that sold MC kits. I asked him to look at the truck tire supply web site and it turns out they had the same exact applicator and beads. The only difference was I got 10 OZ of beads and the applicator for less than the cost of 4 ounces of beads and the applicator that the MC site was selling. $22.00 for everything including shipping!

The test:

I took the bike out for a ride and got to 70 MPH on various roads. With the dealer installed 2 oz weights the bike rode fine with only the normal HD vibration detected. I then removed all the weights. Took the same exact road at the same exact speeds and there was a noticeable shake in the bars between 56 and 61 MPH. I find that out-of-balance wheels will usually start to vibrate at very specific speeds. This was no exception. I tried the route twice to make sure it wasn't my imagination, I am convinced it was not.

I went home and installed the CounterAct Beads. This turned out to be a big pain in the butt. It took me 30 minutes to get 2 ounces of beads in the tire. Patience is a virtue they say, and if you don't have it just forget these things altogether. In one of the instruction videos, the show the guy flicking the rubber valve stem. Well my stems were rigid and don't move. It was a few beads at a time while kicking the tire throughout the whole process. I lost enough beads that I decided to add another .20 (Point two)ounces to make up for it. NOTE: if you are mounting the tire yourself, you can put the beads in the before you seat the tire bead avoiding the valve stem application completely.

I already had in my possession 4.0 Ounces of silver stick-on weights should something go wrong. With that in mind I headed out for my test drive. 20 mph, 30 mph, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75 mph! No vibrations. I took the test course 2 times. Same result.

Conclusion:

I do not know how these things work. I have an entire collection of books called "How Things Work". It makes no sense to me at all, but it is my humble opinion that they do indeed work. With that said, I do not think it makes any difference if you use lead weights or beads. They both worked equally well. If aesthetics are of no concern, than there is no reason not to balance conventionally. However if you mount your own tires and do not have a balancer, or do not want the weights showing, this is a very viable alternative.

As for the difference between Dyna Beads and Counteract beads, I have no horse in this race. I assume they work equally well although the both makes claims of their superiority. Both are reusable according to the manufacturers.

Useful links:

Where I bought the beads - (Click on Wheel balancing compounds on the left)
http://yourtireshopsupply.com

Dyna Bead Web Site - http://www.innovativebalancing.com

CouterAct Web Site - http://www.counteractbalancing.com/counteract/

Full HD Video of the CounterAct beads magical gravity defying properties in my garage.
http://youtu.be/W1Yvlf3DZd0

Images of my wheel with ugly black lead weights - attached.

I just bought new tires , and used counteract beads , because they are the smallest ,and easiest to put in tire,, I used an electric hair trimmer to vibrate air stem ,( rubber or rigid ) used long clear hose to keep check on how many I could vibrate at a time , took about 8 short fills , an all when in just fine .
PS , long hose is great , easy to empty with no loss in case you put to many in at one time ,will never use weights again .
JIM

Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM
InTheWinda1
Advanced

Originally Posted by rh8234
I've read a lot of threads about balancing motorcycle tires. I have been changing motorcycle tires since 1971 and have NEVER balanced one and have NEVER had any problems. Every time I change a tire on one of the bikes, I tell myself that, if I notice any balance issues (vibration, wobble...), I will take the wheel in to be balanced, but I have NEVER needed to do that. Every bike I have ever purchased - if it had wheel weights on it, I took them off and again NEVER observed any handling issues. I suppose it is possible to buy a tire that is so out of balance that it needs weights or beads, but I ain't ever run into one that bad yet.

Maybe you drive the way a person is supposed to,, all lot of hasve need for speed , with all that said , my thought - do 100mph and really see what happens .
PS always exception to the rule .

Quick Reply: Balancing Beads - A Real Life Test