Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Wheel bearing size on 2001 Touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Wheel bearing size on 2001 Touring bike

I picked up some stock HD mags, and, the rear wheel has 1" ID bearings.

I believe I have a 3/4" rear axle, on my 2001 Road King. At least that's what Ronnies OEM parts finder shows, when I look up the bearing part number.

Questions:
Should I install 3/4" bearings in the rear wheel, or buy the 1" axle, spacers, etc, to go with the new mag wheels?

When HD changed axle sizes, the wheels didn't change, did they?

Here are the wheels I picked up:

Old 01-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Does anyone know if 1" axles are better than 3/4?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Anyone ever use these wheel bearing reducers? Found them on eBay.
Reduces 1" to 3/4".

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would change the bearings to 3/4". I had a set of 25mm to 3/4" reducers and never installed them, didn't feel confident using them.
Another option is installing a '02+ swing arm.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I picked up some stock HD mags, and, the rear wheel has 1" ID bearings.

I believe I have a 3/4" rear axle, on my 2001 Road King. At least that's what Ronnies OEM parts finder shows, when I look up the bearing part number.

Questions:
Should I install 3/4" bearings in the rear wheel, or buy the 1" axle, spacers, etc, to go with the new mag wheels?

When HD changed axle sizes, the wheels didn't change, did they?
What HD wheels? You can replace the 1" bearings with the 3/4" bearings and use your 3/4" inner and outer spacers on the condition that the 1" bearings are the same width (21mm) as the new 3/4" bearings. If the 1" bearings are 15mm wide, you will need to go the 1" axle/inner spacer route as I don't believe you can find a 3/4" bearing that is 15mm wide. The OEM PN for the early 3/4" bearing is 9267 but I believe those are now made in China. You can also find a bearing that is made in the US at:

http://www.wjbbearing.com/ The PN for WJB is DH559339 or you can also use the All ***** 41-3206 or KML 1013-2RS.

I have not used the bearing reducers but will be trying out a pair on a front wheel change to my Deuce. From what I read, they should be fine. An adustment to the outer spacers will be required to adjust for the thickness of the reduce flange.

Last edited by djl; 02-26-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
ElectraRoadKing
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This weekend decided to try something similar. I have an 89 Ultra with 3/4" axles and just picked up some 06 wheels. I was trying to find bearings that didn't come from the local HD shop, not because of the price, but rather than when I called to see about getting 3/4 bearings for those wheels and told them my project, the guy told me everyone there says that it isn't going to work. One of the reasons that they said that it wouldn't work is because of rotor and pulley placement. I told them that I bought the wheels with rotors and pulley and from what I measured, everything is very very close. THEN THE HARLEY DEALERSHIP PARTS GUY TELLS ME THAT IT STILL ISN'T GOING TO WORK BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL BIKE, MY ULTRA, IS A CHAIN DRIVE. At that point I knew that he has no idea what he was talking about.

So after much research I find the bearings that I need are the 9267 bearings. I find the Chinese made WJB bearing dimensions and find a suitable cross.

Fafnir (Division of Timken) P/N: 205KRP2AG

Has anyone used these bearings before. They are available from Allied.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Farnir has a good rep but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of a bearing just because it is made in China.

If I were you, I would buy a duplicate set because I suspect you will be mocking up the install several times to get the outer spacer dimensions correct. This may require pulling and re-installing the bearings several times. Use one set for the mockups and the other set for the final install when they won't have to be removed again.

Also remember that you are doing a "custom" install and you can forget what the service manual says about bearing install. You will have to install what works.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

BAD advice above!!! You can NOT use the 1" bearing spacer with 3/4" wheel bearings!!!!! Why? Simply because the OD of the inner race is basically 1". This means the inner bearing race will not ride against the spacer as it's suppose to, but rather will simple tend to 'creep' inside the spacer.....which renders it useless! Further, it means the bearings are being loaded by the axle nut tension instead of being 'un-loaded' by riding against the spacer. This will lead to bearing failure!! For the record, on those Airstrike wheels listed above, the same 1" wheel bearing that came in them has the same dimensions as the sealed 3/4" bearing. So, with the proper spacer, which I believe is 4.812" long, has a 3/4" ID and a 1" OD.....(which is also the same width as the 1" bearing spacer....but that spacer has a 1" ID and a 1.25 OD)....those wheels will fit an '01. You can NOT use a 1" axle on the '01....the entire swing arm is different between '01 and '02 when the MoCo went to the 1" axle. Remember that the 1" axle has the built-in belt tensioners that also 'align' the rear wheel. You still have individual wheel alignment / belt tensioners on your '01. Simply 'not' interchangeable. Sorry to say this, as I too have an '01 Road King and I'm about to put these same Airstrike wheels on my bike. WC