Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tire pressure

Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Jamman718
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure

I saw a chart one time that indicated how much tire pressure increases based on time riding. The reason I ask is I am trying to find the best method of doing pressure after checking at home when cold and then at station after warming up. If I base it on warmed up tire pressure my tire pressure when cold will be incorrect. What do you guys do?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Check it when cold, before riding.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Basic tire pressure 101 says check cold and forget about it. Everyone should have a small compressor at home for just that purpose and a pressure gauge. Never rely on those inline one's at service stations.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Cold, before riding, per the manual.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 AM
tennheritage
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Basic tire pressure 101 says check cold and forget about it. Everyone should have a small compressor at home for just that purpose and a pressure gauge. Never rely on those inline one's at service stations.
I agree hogcowboy
One concern I have is this, all the gauges I have... except maybe 2...show some different air pressure, I have Looked and Looked for a QUALITY Tire pressure gauge, dont intend to sound Mean or nasty, but the "Country of Origin" seems to have an impact on quality.( Is that "Politically Correct enough"? Sorry, I am just a Damn Hillbilly!) Are there any quality gauges made in the USA anymore?! If anyone knows of one please send me a Link. I have maybe 12 or 13 different gauges and I swear they ALL show different pressures, some vary as much as 5-8Lbs!! I have tried Digital,Analog,Pencil,Round etc. etc.
HHEEEEEELLLLPPP!!
Ed

Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Jamman718
Advanced

Don't have a compressor; the article I was reading said after riding 3 miles you can add 4 psi to the reading when airing up at the station. That being said, I thought a good alternative would be to check the psi at home cold, then go to the station and check again before airing up and add the difference to the tires when airing. Example: if the cold reading is 34 and the rating is 36, then when you get to the station it reads 38 make it 40 as you had an original 2 psi difference between the actual vs the desired.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Milton S-921 pencil gauge is accurate, made in USA.

http://www.toolsource.com/pencil-typ...e-p-65583.html

Old 04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've never had a compressor either! A footpump is quite adequate, I've just done a pre-season restore of pressures on two of my bikes. Get yourself a foot or stirrup pump and set your pressures by the book, cold! It is true that pressures vary from cold to warm, just as they will if you ride to the top of Pikes Peak!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
glbtrotter
Cruiser

I know for a fact that my truck tire pressure goes up 4-5 psi after they get hot. I always check the bike tire cold. Checking the rear tire after the pipe gets hot is a pita.

You can get a pretty good compressor for about $50 that runs off a cig lighter to keep in your garage. Not that cheap slime one (I burned one of them out), but one that actually has a decent hose that screws onto the schrader valve. worth the money (and I'll throw it on the bike for long trips).

Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamman718
I saw a chart one time that indicated how much tire pressure increases based on time riding. The reason I ask is I am trying to find the best method of doing pressure after checking at home when cold and then at station after warming up. If I base it on warmed up tire pressure my tire pressure when cold will be incorrect. What do you guys do?
I put what it says on the tire when it is cold. Theoretically your pressure should go up 4 to 5 lbs when hot. If it goes up more then you need to add air. If the pressure doesn't go up or very little you have too much air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure