Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Shinko Tire Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shinko Tire Review

Installed the Shinko 777 White Walls

Cost: Front and Rear Combo $207 Shipped http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ 180/65 16 & 130/80 17

Install was easy, Sidewalls are softer than the factory Dunlops.

So Far only rode about 25 miles but they feel good.
I was getting uneasy with the factory tires because the rear had gotten so Flat in the center. and I had a ton of noise from the cupping outside edge.

The big questions are going to be:
Rain handling?
Mileage wear and tear rate?

I am going for a 3000 mile ride in mid July

I will report back after that.

Attached Thumbnails Shinko Tire Review-photo-1.jpg   Shinko Tire Review-photo-2.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered a set of Shinko 777's Thursday evening for my Dyna from Chaparral through Amazon. I didn't get the whitewalls, just the plain ones for $129 shipped. They seem to get good reviews so we'll find out, they gotta be better than the cupped, cracked Dunlops I got on there now.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

I am running them on a Dyna, had the front for a about 2,000 miles and the rear only for around 100 miles but so far I like them and they seem to give a nicer ride than the dunlops. They are a soft tire so maybe better grip but I'll see how they wear before giving them a full evaluation.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 AM
the rolling thunder
Advanced

Originally Posted by Briboysr
Installed the Shinko 777 White Walls

Cost: Front and Rear Combo $207 Shipped http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ 180/65 16 & 130/80 17

Install was easy, Sidewalls are softer than the factory Dunlops.

So Far only rode about 25 miles but they feel good.
I was getting uneasy with the factory tires because the rear had gotten so Flat in the center. and I had a ton of noise from the cupping outside edge.

The big questions are going to be:
Rain handling?
Mileage wear and tear rate?

I am going for a 3000 mile ride in mid July

I will report back after that.
I just installed front and rear Shinko 777 on my ultra classic , june 4th . Left on June 13th for a 7 day trip about 3300 miles total . Tires were Awesome , in rain ,in corners , high speeds ...smooth as glass , but now the rear is past the wear marks ,front still good ......Great tires ....but short life ....if i new they would be bald by the end of the trip ...i wouldnt of cleaned the white walls . Let me know ur mileage. i ran them at 40 psi .

Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the rolling thunder
I just installed front and rear Shinko 777 on my ultra classic , june 4th . Left on June 13th for a 7 day trip about 3300 miles total . Tires were Awesome , in rain ,in corners , high speeds ...smooth as glass , but now the rear is past the wear marks ,front still good ......Great tires ....but short life ....if i new they would be bald by the end of the trip ...i wouldnt of cleaned the white walls . Let me know ur mileage. i ran them at 40 psi .
So you only got 3,300 miles with mostly freeway driving. I have about 1,500 on mine now.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Briboysr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by the rolling thunder

That Mileage SUCKS, What Year Ultra? Why 40 PSI?

I am running the Max Cold PSI of 59 rear and 52 front, that is what is listed on the tire itself.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM
the rolling thunder
Advanced

02 ultra, my tire shows 49 psi max , 40 psi rear and 36 front was suggested , we rode lake placid ,Laconia , Nova Scotia , lots of Mountains , lots of hyway ....Ya mileage Sucks ....one week ...then Gone ....very sure footed tire ....,ordered the Continental CM2 Conti Milestone Wide White Wall Rear Tire . they say its a high mileage tire

Last edited by the rolling thunder; 06-25-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tires are funny critters... they are made differently from one model to the next, and the type of compounds used in making each varies widely. The Shinko 777 is a soft compound tire so mileage isn't going to compare the harder compound Dunlops, and certainly not the even harder Michelins... As well as other manufacturers such as Avon, Pirelli, etc... Shinko does make a little harder compound tire which might be a more favorable option if you're looking for more mileage from you tires vs the 777. The 712 as I understand is their mileage tire...

Compare Shinko's to Shinko's, Dunlops to Dunlops, Michelins to Michelins...etc... those tire rating systems they put on the sides of the tire are for comparison to a companies other tire models... not other manufacturers models.

Gotta love working in a tire shop and learning all this useless information...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tomh1962:
Missouri Snowman (06-07-2018), SonyKurniawan (09-26-2022)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:41 AM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm....interesting thread here! I bought the Shinko's on sell for 150 shipped, BOTH ties, and white walls!
I will say this first, they ride a million times better than the Dunlop's!! They will dead *** HOOK to! Very soft tire compared to the Dunlop's. I come off the clutch at 2000 with the Dunlop's and literally blow the tire off the rim. With the Shinko's, Flat out hooks!
Now here is where things get interesting with me and my bike and the Shinko's....
Got on the interstate with them, got up to 70mph and I felt a "wobble" in the handlebars every so often. Get it up to 80,, VERY bad "wobble' Best way to describe it would be the death wobble for those that have had that happen. SOO...I order a set of Avon WhiteWalls, which is on the bike now...Bike rides great once again.
I have lest than 75 miles on mine, I'm really not sure what the situation is or was..I may never know now since I took them off already. But my opinion about the Shiko's...for the money, you cant beat it,They ride great!! For racing,Which is what I do alot, you better be pointed in the direction you want to go when you let off that clutch because the front tire will be in the air! Being a soft compound, I don't see how you can get any mileage out of them in my opinion.

And to Tom the tire dude..WE want to compare Shinko's to Dunlop's to Avons to all other tires to see who is getting what out of each tire.

Last edited by junglejoe; 07-04-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I just put mine on yesterday. They are very sticky and handle way better than the Dunlops that I had on before. I didn't get any wobble going down the highway. I hope I get more than 3300 miles out of them.

Quick Reply: Shinko Tire Review