Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:24 AM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics

I had the Shotgun Shock Air Ride system installed on Saturday. Fortunate that I live in So Cal and was able to deal directly and in person with JD who came up with the incredible system. Those of you who have or are considering a Platinum Bleed and Feed sytem would be interested in knowing that JD developed that system as well and sold the rights to it. With the Shotgun, he took the concept to a whole notha level.

I rode down to his Santa Ana shop and JD did the install himself. It is about a 100 mile each way trip. When JD heard the distance I travelled he more or less comped me a $100 and dropped my price to an out the door $1400. Amazing deal. I paid a lot of attention to my ride down and how my stock shocks handled the various roadways I drove. I wanted to have a base comparison for the ride home. Anyone who has riden our freeway system knows how messed up they can be with expansion joints, etc.

The night before the install I had posted seeking some last last minute input. Was the $1500 worth it for an air ride? Would it be a nite and day difference or a disappointment. I was worried. After all, it was a hefty chunk of change for me. I had done a lot of research on the different systems. But bottom line is I had never riden with any of them.

JD gave me the tour when I got there. He puts each shock together by hand. To say the least...the man is perfectionist with 10 years of passion behind this. It was cool to see the shock in it's component stages and hear him explain why it is what it is.

I stayed on for the install to make sure he did it right...lol. Ok...I handed him tools from time to time. I also snapped some photos. It's such as clean fit and a neat looking design it's almost a shame that you can't see it. The compressor is mounted and hidden by the shock and nothing skimpy about the compressor.

After the install was done I took a ride around the industrial park for a first impression. I had taken the same spin when I got there trying to find his building space and recalled the shifted concret slabs-high and low, drainage dips, cracks and speed bumps. A good test track.

The verdict at this point? Very very pleased. I kept the ride height to stock for the ride home so I could continue with the comparison. The sweet thing about the Shotgun is that it does more than just raise and lower the bike. So even though I was at stock height I was able to adjust the rebound at that height. The system allows for a firmer or softer ride at any height you have it set at.

The ride home was for certain a night and day difference. The bike handled the road so well that I kept thinking of the Mike Myers character on Saturday Night Live. The woman who always said "like butta". I didn't make any adjustments for that 100 miles so I could give it a fair assessment for the 1 1/2 hour ride. Hell, I even rode in the far right lanes which any Californian will tell you are chewed up from the big rigs that have to drive in them. No problem and Chromedome is now extemely happy at this point. I'm thinking...throw a sheep skin on this Danny Gray and maybe ride straight on to Vegas. Ah... but the wife.

When I got home I played with the system a bit. Stood back and adnmired the hell out of my bike and played some more. Told the wife what a waqonderful mod I just had done for only...ah... $500. Dropped the rear down to within 1 inch of full slam. I had heard that with air rides it's going to feel pretty hard. I had ridden my son's Sporty with licks solid struts. I knew the feeling. I adjusted the rebound at this height and took a nice long ride through town. While not the same buttery ride as my 100 mile trip home, it was to my surprise about the same as my 100 mile ride down on my "stock "shocks. It was about this time that I probalby had people wondering what the hell I was smiling about all alone. Final impression? Worth every penny!! If anyone is considering an air ride system put this one on your list to research.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13758854/S...Analysis-chart

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13758855/S...art-Conclusion

Last edited by chromedome; 08-30-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 AM
chromedome
Road Master

Install photos. Will get some photos of the bike slammed and up and post them later.

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0859.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0865.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0860.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0871.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0874.jpg  

Last edited by chromedome; 08-30-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 AM
chromedome
Road Master

More pics

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0880.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0863.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0889.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0883.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0885.jpg  

Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 AM
kiteman
Cruiser

Chromedome, sincere thanks for your post and all the pics. They have been a great help along with Nytrn's contribution concerning the new Shotgun shocks.

As I have an 08 Rocker, I am wondering if anyone out there has fitted Shotgun Shocks to their ride????? I think, although I may be wrong, that the Rocker has less available swingarm travel than other Softails.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very good read (pics also) chromedome. The only problem i see with this system is that damm price tag. $1500.00 for shocks sure is steep. If "JD" would just lower that price to lets see...$1000.00 i think we would all have them. I don't ride too much with my OL to justify $1500.00 on a air system all though i wished i had one. So for the time being my $30.00 bolts will have to do, which i think ride great. Maybe you can do us a favor chomedome and ask "JD" to drop that price to a $1000.00? Christmas is just around the corner....

Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell just call him and ask yourself for a $500.00 discount,,, really it's more than just shocks, there's a compressor, electronics, switches etc, and installation, a fellow has to make some money or go out of business.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
flstf08
Tourer

I paid 1300.00 for mine, but I did the install 1500.00 is a good price

Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 PM
chromedome
Road Master

I don't know JD, just met him doing this. He is a good guy and runs the show so why not deal with him direct. I would suggest that if anyone is interested in the Shotgun Shock to call him. Anyone living in CA should take the time and make the ride. We are lucky enough to have some of the premier manufacturers in our back yard. Got my bars by visiting Carlini, C&C and Danny Gray seats by visiting them. DNA wheels by visiting them, V&H same thing. I've saved a ton of money and cash is always king.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Very good read (pics also) chromedome. The only problem i see with this system is that damm price tag. $1500.00 for shocks sure is steep. If "JD" would just lower that price to lets see...$1000.00 i think we would all have them. I don't ride too much with my OL to justify $1500.00 on a air system all though i wished i had one. So for the time being my $30.00 bolts will have to do, which i think ride great. Maybe you can do us a favor chomedome and ask "JD" to drop that price to a $1000.00? Christmas is just around the corner....
BLKnCHROME

Give him a call. I think he is competitivey priced at $1500 when considering what the system offers, but he worked out a deal with me that no other place I dealt with did when checking out the different systems. Not to say they didn't deal, just not that much. I think there is a plus here in that you can deal with the manufactirer, inventor direct. I didn't chose Shotgun becaue of the deal but it was sure a nice bonus. I also do agree that more people woud have this system. There has been a lot of chatter about this system. New kid on the block kind of thing competing with some of the other better known systems. Technology has evolved. Be foolish to think that an Air ride is just an air ride is just a air ride. JD is now looking into developing a memory key pad type of set up. You would have the ability to have pre-set ride adjustments. Riding the twisties...punch in the pre-set you put in. Cruising around town or on a long smooth ride... punch it in. How friggin cool would that be?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Photos, Switch location on dash, up, slammed and a photo before the install of the stock shock height

Attached Thumbnails Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0891.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0890.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0892.jpg   Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics-img_0851.jpg  

Last edited by chromedome; 08-30-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shock Air Ride with Pics