Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Complimentary System for Shotgun Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Complimentary System for Shotgun Shock?

I am thinking of putting the Shotgun Shocks on my 2011 Fatboy. I know everyone has their opinion of which system is better and it is not my intention to debate that here.

My question is....what is a good complimentary front suspension system to go along with the Shotgun? I might consider dropping the front about an 1" but have no problem leaving it where it is at. My concern is getting the smoothest ride possible up front to go along with the air ride in the back.

Another thought that I have, if you lower the shotgun in the rear, and the front is left at it's factory height, is there and difference in the way the bike corners or handles? I notice in other threads, when people use bolts or another system to lower the rear, they usually lower the front to compensate. And I wonder what the affects are of lowering the rear on the "fly" without doing anything to the front????

Ps. I would have asked this question in the Suspension threads...but it seems like some questions sit there for months before anyone gets to them. And I apologize if this question has been asked a million times already, but I am looking for some fresh input.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a recent thread I started about Ricor intiminators, seems most are using them.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ricor Intiminators...

Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Some Ricors and Progressive Drop-In's seem to be a good setup. I did t use the Ricors and just went with a 2" drop up front with heavy oil and I don't think after about 800miles the setup I went with is bad at all. Just remember if you go with both you will not use the heavier fork oil.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

For me, when lowered the bike corners and handles fine for regular riding. When I get into twisties I raise the back to ensure I have sufficient ground clearance, as it is easy to scrape the floorboards or even the case. I scraped with the stock setup also. At least with the Shotgun I'm able to raise it all the way up and stiffen up the damping so that it is only an issue if I really push it.

Good choice! I'll be watching this thread to see what decision you make and how you, and others, like their choices for the front.

Roger

Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Intiminators are great right out of the box, but modified and set up properly they are fantastic
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html

Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used bolts in the rear but have not touched the front yet. The bike stills rides and handles just fine. I purchased a Progressive drop in kit for the front but I think when I get ready to lower the front I am going to use FLT tubes. The FLT tubes are 2" shorter but will help maintain a factory ride quality without having to use heavy oil.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Das_Fatboy
Cruiser

How well would the Intiminators work with the stock springs? Or is it better to change the springs out also?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM
SUUIE
Road Master

Progressive Monotubes.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Das_Fatboy
How well would the Intiminators work with the stock springs? Or is it better to change the springs out also?
I believe the original intent was that they be used with stock springs.

Quick Reply: Complimentary System for Shotgun Shock?