Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 EQ flash file add-on speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 AM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers

So, I wanted to connect my earplugs to the head unit. But I didn't want to have any switches to change outputs on the bike. I though the fader would work for this.

I was looking into the wire diagrams for my '14 SGS (just 2 fairing speakers), and found that the head unit has an output for an additional pair of speakers already wired. I found the plug (plug ordered). Unfortunately the output is not active. HD has to flash the unit.
I was looking a little further into what happens when they do that. Here is what I found.

If you use the on board diagnostic tool, there is a section for the AUDIO part. One can get to it by holding the MUTE button while turning the ignition on with the run switch in the RUN position. Wait until the confirmation message comes up. Confirm and release the MUTE button.
Now there are some options like DTCs, display test, audio, Navi settings, info and so on.

In the AUDIO section select EQ. That will list all applicable EQ and audio options. Scroll through to find the one that is currently loaded (orange background). If one clicks on the info button on the right, either on this one or any other file, it wants confirmation to load new file, click OK and then it wants to load the file (from USB).
The one that was loaded was 01_OFF.bin

This file can be found in the .iso file (swdl_boombox_6.5GT.iso for version 1.18.1) under mnt\persistence\eq
There are plenty of others, suitable for other bikes and configurations.
These files do not change anything on the EQ or the amount of speakers used. They rather point to the actual configuration file that needs to be loadad/flashed (by HD).

In this case it was pointing to this file: FLHX_EngOFF_EQ_2spkr_111312_rev1j.EQF

BTW, these files are not on the image!

Judging from the file name and the stock setup, this is for the stock fairing speakers for the SG. These .EQF files contain specific settings, output layout equalizer behavior and probably other stuff.
Well, after I talked to the tech at HD, telling him I wanted the rear speakers in the tour pak activated, he loaded 131_OFF.bin (HU 121712 rev1d +3dBdyn GBDK_platinum.EQF_).

That enabled 4 speakers and fader, but unfortunately it limited the output to the front speakers to about 60%. And no way to adjust it, the fader was visiable but un-usable.

I almost gave up. Went back to the tech and showed him the different settings in the head unit, which he had never seen before. He pulled the bike back in and (after a $20 tip) was digging through all the settings he had on the HD laptop.

He ended up loading 02_OFF.bin (FlatEQ_4spkr_jw.EQF). This enabled 4 spaekers, fully functional fader and, after all A LOT more power to the speakers!
With the original setup I had to crank up the radio all the way above 80mph. Now, at even 95mph I have like 3 bars left.
I got what I wanted, but now I would like to get my hands on all these .EQF files.

Is there anyone (tech?) out there, that has them or can get them?
I am sure there are a lot of people out there, that would like to change there setup and adjust the audio output accordingly.
Instead of buying an amp I spend $20 and got even more.

So, any input is appreciated, please pm me or reply if you have any inside views on this, so we can all benefit from it.

Sorry about the long story, but I think it's worth sharing. Thumbs up to the Tech for doing this!

Thank you
FrankEGD

Attached Thumbnails '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers-1.jpg   '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers-2.jpg   '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers-3.jpg   '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers-4.jpg   '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers-9.jpg  

Last edited by frankegd; 10-06-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 AM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, it does drive me nuts that I have to involve the dealer for the flashes, and the fact that the system has DSP it would be nice if I could tune it myself and slap it back in or choose to remove it all together.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree but..
how are you going to load the flashes without the digital technician which is not even available for purchase by HD techs but only by the individual shops?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

sounds to me exactly what the audio vendors soundz customz, Rockford keep telling us that we want the flash two amp off 4 or more speaker enabled.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

what I wish they would tell us is the exact bin file to load if you actually go look at what op is saying and look at files that are available there seams to be more than just one two amp for speaker option ill bet if we started a list of what bin file is loaded we have techs choosing different files and this is why some are happy and others not even though we think we are doing same as others.
More important is makes me wonder how many of the loaded files have actual been tested. There looks to be 20-30 files also wonder why hd loaded so many variables if 2amp off 4 speaker was the holy grace.
And bye the way 8speaker two amp on sounds good and on two speaker set up leaves fader none functional but fade stuck to full front.

Last edited by FLYINGBROKE; 10-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bellstrglide38 (05-04-2020)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM
frankegd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
what I wish they would tell us is the exact bin file to load if you actually go look at what op is saying and look at files that are available there seams to be more than just one two amp for speaker option ill bet if we started a list of what bin file is loaded we have techs choosing different files and this is why some are happy and others not even though we think we are doing same as others.
More important is makes me wonder how many of the loaded files have actual been tested. There looks to be 20-30 files also wonder why hd loaded so many variables if 2amp off 4 speaker was the holy grace.
And bye the way 8speaker two amp on sounds good and on two speaker set up leaves fader none functional but fade stuck to full front.
I assume all the .bin files represent every possible configuration, stock speakers, one or two amps, lower speakers, lid or seat speakers, bike options, fader pre set or not, CB and so on.
I wish I could get the these EQL files and mess with them.

Any Tech willing to share? Please...

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

so I put the question out to 3 of my dealer tech friends around the US and the answer from all 3 was exactly the same. No way to get the bin files. They are actually loaded into the Digital Tech owned by the dealerships by Mother Harley via an internet connection as encrypted files and the only way they come out of the Digital Tech is while being transferred into the Infotainment system.

Considering a Digital Tech costs in the range of about $10k as a complete kit and if it's not connected to the Mothership at least once every 7 days to check in by a HD Dealer with an active Dealer Code it then becomes a paperweight, I don't see your quest for files going much further. Believe me I'd love to get my hands on them too in order to dissect and see exactly what HD is doing with these flashes but it looks like we (normal folks) are SOL.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frankegd

He ended up loading 02_OFF.bin (FlatEQ_4spkr_jw.EQF). This enabled 4 spaekers, fully functional fader and, after all A LOT more power to the speakers!
Thank you so much for posting this! Been trying to figure this out for a month. My dealer is a smaller shop that doesn't get too many of these requests, had never messed with EQ files before. This is exactly the info I needed.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
Thank you so much for posting this! Been trying to figure this out for a month. My dealer is a smaller shop that doesn't get too many of these requests, had never messed with EQ files before. This is exactly the info I needed.
Question to the OP, are you using all stock equipment such as speakers and no amp or did you upgrade anything, Curious if this works with upgraded equipment or just stock?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM
frankegd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Question to the OP, are you using all stock equipment such as speakers and no amp or did you upgrade anything, Curious if this works with upgraded equipment or just stock?
Upgraded the fairing speakers to J&M, no amp, everything else audio related is stock.
Just to recap from some earlier posts (appreciate the feedback/input), the .bin files ARE available through the .iso. But they point, or should I say want to load the .eql files into the head unit.
I can almost guaranty you these files are uncompressed available in the OS/software of the digital tech/laptop. If one has access to such laptop, search for the file(s), and you will find them...
All these files do (my assumption) is load settings what to use, input, output, volume parameters, digital enhancements (if one can call it that) and some other minor stuff.
I don't even think it will be in an unusable format. Well, maybe it will...

It's just an idea I have, that I pay for an expensive audio system, and want to make it work the way I(!) want to.

/Rant:Off

Thanks
FrankEGD

Quick Reply: '14 EQ flash file add-on speakers