Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SG Amp selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 05:06 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Amazon. My wiring kit shoed up yesterday, and my amp and speakers today. Looks like I'll be hopefully knocking this out this weekend. Should I try to get the dealer flash done before or after I do the install?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:01 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Also, any good install instructions for 2014's, or any other supplies I need before I get started?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Started on the install this afternoon between dinner and dessert. Got the fairing opened up, the speaker pods pulled (what a PITA), and the new speakers bolted in. Tomorrow I'll get the amp wired up, hook everything up, close up the fairing and hopefully get the dealer to reflash the HU. Am I going to have to readjust the gain on the stereo after I get the HU flashed?

Old 11-28-2014, 07:01 AM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick2076
Started on the install this afternoon between dinner and dessert. Got the fairing opened up, the speaker pods pulled (what a PITA), and the new speakers bolted in. Tomorrow I'll get the amp wired up, hook everything up, close up the fairing and hopefully get the dealer to reflash the HU. Am I going to have to readjust the gain on the stereo after I get the HU flashed?
I'm getting ready to do the same install
Really hoping you take pictures and share them. Been trying to figure the best way to mount the amp

Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 AM
maverick2076
Tourer

I've got a couple crappy cell phone pics so far. I'll get some good ones when it is all done. General consensus from what I've been reading is just to mount the amp above the HU with industrial Velcro, so that is what I am going to do.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:00 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Got the speaker pods in, test wired up the amp and speakers, and tested everything. Holy ****! Even with the gain not adjusted, the HU not flashed, and the volume only up maybe 1/3 of the way, this setup absolutely blows away the stock stereo. I'm not gonna know how to act when it is all done.

You do need to make a mounting plate to get this amp to sit above the HU, due to the terminal block on the amp. I used a fence picket, cut it to size and painted it black. While the paint is drying I've got to go to Lowes and pick up the Velcro so I can mount the amp, close everything up and head to HD for the flash.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Everything is done and pretty well adjusted. Local shop took care of my HU flash, although I had to explain it to them slowly with small words to get them to understand why I wanted them to do it. The new amp and speakers make a world of difference. Is it as good of a system as I put in my truck? No, but I didn't expect it. The sound is clearer and much louder. Whereas before I would ride on the highway with my volume maxed, I am riding at 80 with the volume at maybe 3/4, and it is louder than stock was at max. All the sound is crisper and cleaner. Mids and highs don't sound flat anymore, and there is an increase in bass (about as much as you can expect from 6.5" speakers). I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I cannot wait to get my lowers in so I can add the other two speakers and see how it is going to really perform. At just under $200 for the amp, speakers and wiring kit, and another $47.50 for the HU flash from HD, it was well worth the money.

Here are a few pics that I remembered to snap throughout the process.

Fairing opened and speaker pods removed. Worst part of the whole install.

New speakers in pods, along with the amp and wiring kit.

Speaker pods back on the bike

Power and ground run to the battery

Amp mounted to a board above the HU

Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Looks good Maverick! Don't you love it when a plan comes together!

Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

I'm really happy with it. I can't wait for my lowers to get here so I can put in the second speakers. I am questioning whether or not I should get a second pair of the Kickers or look for something a little more weatherproof. Your thoughts, Gannicus?

I do need to open the fairing again. I forgot to plug the voltmeter back in. Oops.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick2076
I'm really happy with it. I can't wait for my lowers to get here so I can put in the second speakers. I am questioning whether or not I should get a second pair of the Kickers or look for something a little more weatherproof. Your thoughts, Gannicus?

I do need to open the fairing again. I forgot to plug the voltmeter back in. Oops.
The Kickers are excellent in the weather. I've been through torrential downpours with those speakers and nary a issue. of course IMO the best all time speaker in that location is the titan II from Biketronics but then you are getting a little more expensive.

Quick Reply: 2014 SG Amp selection