Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:08 PM
onewheat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
I'm sure it also has something to do with the canbus system. I know that is why the fader doesn't work with aftermarket amps.
Originally Posted by tgrisko
It also has to do with only using the 2 front channels of the factory harness to run a 4 speaker system on a 4 channel amp
I don't remember who it is (posted here somewhere) but whoever it is has the bin_02 file and they DO have fader - thought for sure it was with aftermarket amps too.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Blues Guy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM
biglipps66
Cruiser
Default ***info needed***

Added info to my main post.

Please post your results in this thread so I can make a full excel document of who has what and what their issues are. I need it for a side by side comparison to take to the dealer.

Last edited by biglipps66; 02-28-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM
nick4737
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is still stock i am waiting to see if this gets sorted out or if ultranutz finds a solution...as of right now i have the soundstream amp and a pair of kappas...but i am also thinking about goin with the regular 7.1s from biketronics....oh ya the bike is a 14 SGS

Old 02-28-2015, 08:11 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, it seems I've already donated to Harley, so what's a bit more. I donated to the cause.

Just out of curiosity, how did we come up with 02_OFF.bin as being the desirable flash? Is this with the newest Boom firmware?

It seems to me there are more .bin files than possible combinations of speakers and amps. If Harley really is setting the system up for just them, shouldn't it only let you pick 2-8 speakers and 1-4 amps. You'd think they'd simplify the selectable options so that choosing an external amp automatically turns off the internal amps. I guess all of this is going to be as clear as mud for me until I actually see a tech use the Harley computer to flash a radio and amp.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 PM
sprint07
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by biglipps66

sprint07:
You might have better luck with your HD tech than we have maybe. Its been hit or miss so far as to who has had good luck. Its also been hit or miss as to who's actually had guys spend quality time with them to get what they wanted. Thats the main reason for this here donation thread! This will hopefully buy all the time needed to get ALL of the answers needed.

To directly answer your question though, YES, there is a chance that when you install it all and have it flashed by the dealer that its going to sound worse than your stock sound. I have the same BT setup so Im right in the same frustration boat as all of the others. Its NOT the BT equipment, its strictly a dealer/software issue.
Getting a bit more concerned now that all the money I spent on the BT upgrades may not work??

My dealer had an open house today along with various rewards specials and other deals. Ordered the final parts to do this upgrade, I still needed the CVO speaker lowers adapters and the Harley painted outer covers for the lowers.

What has me really concerned now is they have a 2015 Road Glide Special sitting on the floor loaded with Boom2 stuff and tons of other upgrades. Asked about being able to listen to the Boom2 sound on the bike. No, can't!! Their tech has had problems getting the Boom2 stuff to work on the bike including getting the saddle bag speakers to work, at all!!!

The service manager and the parts manager are looking forward to my BT install on my 2014, but they are now getting a little concerned that their tech may not be able to get my bike "flashed" correctly once I have all the stuff installed.

I sure hope that Bill at BikeTronics or UltraNutz gets this figured out before my wife finds out how much money I have spent on this upgrade and it DOESN'T work!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 PM
sprint07
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

And, I'm in on the donation also, payment sent.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
biglipps66
Cruiser

Sprint:
Its crazy that they haven't figured it out on their own bike wow. That case isn't the first Ive read about here though.

DGreen:
The 02_OFF just seems to be the one that everyone has had luck with thats all. Except tgrisko he has the 135_OFF and his is rocking. Im definitely going to try and duplicate his results in a couple days.

Still need all the results of working and non working bikes too, please edit your posts or make new ones when you can!

Last edited by biglipps66; 03-01-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted to pass some info I just got today....

I went to Chester's HD Reno today to talk to Tom... the 'go to' for Digital Technician to talk about flashes. I am much more informed now.

The 'updates' that HD puts out can be MAJOR or MINOR... but should ONLY be done by those having issues with their systems.... or STOCK SYSTEMS

When they went from *17 to *18... it was a MAJOR rewrite. The best way to describe it is like a Windows Update for your home computer.

Sometimes... USER CUSTOM SETTINGS will get corrupted AFTER a MAJOR update and they have seen this plenty at the dealer ( I didn't know this ). Most of the time, after an update, if you are having issues on your STOCK setup, you can boot into Diagnostic Mode and CLEAR USER SETTINGS to correct issues 95% of the time by turning RUN ON... PRESS AND HOLD MUTE.... turn ign ON... confirm msg screen and you're in....

Now...

For those of us that are running AFTERMARKET AMPS, SPEAKERS and CUSTOM FLASH.... for our systems....

DO NOT UPDATE YOUR RADIO SOFTWARE!!!!

(Without knowing this... you have a very good probability of messing up your flash)

When Harley pushes updates out... they have a tendency to give brief descriptions of what they updated, but not everything! Tom ( HD Tech ) told me he has had several customers return 2-3 times for issues relating back to software updates that actually modified things it shouldn't.. and WON'T BE NOTICED by STOCK systems, but 95% of the time, it's those 'FLASHED' systems that lose the correct information and go crazy.

I just wanted you all to know that I won't be updating my software anymore on my 6.5GT.... I love what I have done and don't want to lose ANYTHING in regard to performance from it.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM
biglipps66
Cruiser

Haven't updated mine in a couple firmware versions now so it definitely can't be MY issue lol.

I have more than a handful of good references at Milwaukee Tool down the street from them and they tell me they get HD people in all the time waiting to bail from HD.

I honestly bet there are a handful of software newbs writing code for our radios over there.

Quick Reply: 2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread