Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct me if I'm wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Correct me if I'm wrong

My neighbor just got an 11 cvo rg,and he's finally come to the conclusion that I'm a lite more knowledgeable than he on with motorcycle stuff. Right now it's all stock, he just ordered dresser dual and turn downs. So I'm trying to tell him his radio won't be **** and he wants to remove his tour pack which means the amp had to move anyway.. So I have a few easy questions..what all is different from rg to sg. From reading I've noticed some people do and do not have problems adding 6x5 in the rear pods, "he still wants to upgrade for when the wife is riding". I also think I've read on here that the BT 7.1s won't fit in the rg fairing, and I'll have to mount the amp on the side of the fairing instead of on the radio correct? Money isn't an option for this guy's but he's not gonna go to BT, he will prob get the same speakers, head unit as me and the RZ42000D..

Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 501 Posts

Unless the CVOs have something different going on in the fairing, the BT 7.1 will fit in there for sure, it's tight but they absolutely fit. I believe the only RG issue with 7.1s up front are the 15 models.

I had a 4180 amp in mine and swapped to a 2180 after I decided to stick with a 2 speaker setup. There's only a couple of spots the 4180 will fit and it has to be oriented perfectly to not interfere with the outer fairing and is a PITA - bring a big bottle of patience and cover the kids' ears because you're gonna invent some new cuss words. BT is working on a bracket for the RG, Bill sent me some pics and they had prototypes available several weeks ago, give them a call it may be ready to go by now.

The 2180 fits no problem on a bracket. When I talked to the guys at BT they said they've heard of guys getting a 2180 mounted on top of an aftermarket HU in a 13 and down RG. I tried a dry run with the 2180 on top of my Kenwood HU (mounted as low in the faceplate as it could go) and just didn't feel comfortable with it - very close but no cigar for me. I don't know much about the size of other amps, there might be one that fits but I'm not aware of it.

Last but not least, make your buddy get the new head unit inside the inner fairing himself and then take it from there. I can't believe the fairing flexed enough to get the new unit in there. Scared the living crap out of me waiting the hear the fairing break......

Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Good info.. I don't think he's gonna a lift a finger, he will some how have arthritis that day lol.. No kids around and ever other word out of my mouth is **** so no issues there..

Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Same adaptors for front a rear right? Buddy is trying to order it all 2night

Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Rear pods drop in place. Depending on what speakers you might need spacers if the speakers are too deep. The standard recommendation is the Kicker KSC67 as those drop in, no adaptor needed...you will have to drill a pilot hole for the new screws.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

What about just running all Kicker instead of 2 rears and front kappas.. He's not going to want to by diff brands.. 4 kickers and 2 rings for the front..

Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

That would work, but the Kappas are louder. They just don't fit in the back for everyone.

This guy is difficult for his one ride a year!

But since that's the case get he'll be pumped with 4 Kickers.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

He will want the loudest, so he can brag that he has a cvo and the loudest radio to go with it

Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
He will want the loudest, so he can brag that he has a cvo and the loudest radio to go with it
Well Ole Boy is gonna have to spend more coin than that then. Sounds like that won't even match his CVO EGO.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The Kickers are 4 ohm, the Kappa's are 2. More watts per channel with the Kappa's if he's really concerned with having "the loudest radio".

Quick Reply: Correct me if I'm wrong