Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Kenwood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
something i forgot to add. think about what you will want in your headunit. for example i wanted one with dual usb ports so i could charge my phone in one and lease a usb stick plugged into the other.

Yea. I want bt, cd and 1 usb port. Its tempting to by a high end model but I don't think I need to spend that kind of money to get what I need.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 09:29 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

stick with a brand name, that's all.

I personally really like at least 1 usb port on the back (running 6ft extension usb cable under tank to under seat, where my usb stick sits, so HU faceplate is clean.
X998 is great, but over (way) 200 bucks. got plenty of android/iphone support too.
also consider faceplate illumination! most are fixed color unless spending a bit more.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

bufbil, I had a Alpine 9886 liked that HU. Rca started shorting out. Got a Kenwood 998, it sounds better IMO, bought it off flea bay for $206. I would stick with Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, or Pioneer, all good HU's. Look on Biketronics website they have Kenwood, and Sony models. When you put in the after market HU A wise investment would be the plastic sheet that comes with Biketronics kits. It protects the HU from water that could drip between the windshield and the fairing, and also what AAWAV recommends, the cover for the face of the HU.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
bufbil, I had a Alpine 9886 liked that HU. Rca started shorting out. Got a Kenwood 998, it sounds better IMO, bought it off flea bay for $206. I would stick with Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, or Pioneer, all good HU's. Look on Biketronics website they have Kenwood, and Sony models. When you put in the after market HU A wise investment would be the plastic sheet that comes with Biketronics kits. It protects the HU from water that could drip between the windshield and the fairing, and also what AAWAV recommends, the cover for the face of the HU.
some of us have some sticking issues with the BT front face cover (losing it while riding). VTwin ($$$) or Scosche seems to be the best choice.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 PM
bufbills
Road Master

Originally Posted by AAWAV
stick with a brand name, that's all.

I personally really like at least 1 usb port on the back (running 6ft extension usb cable under tank to under seat, where my usb stick sits, so HU faceplate is clean.
X998 is great, but over (way) 200 bucks. got plenty of android/iphone support too.
also consider faceplate illumination! most are fixed color unless spending a bit more.
I use a mini usb stick, so Im ok with the front port. Its tiny and most people dont even see it. I was reading about the android support and thats pretty big for me. Also, fixed color is out. The kenwoods Im looking at are all changeable. Im close to just saying screw it and get the 998. This is for my bike for crying out loud! It looks like a nice unit and has everything. Ive got a decent amp and speakers so Id like to get this finished so I can concentrate on getting my cams in.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
bufbills
Road Master

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Ill look at the plastic sheet. I worry about water getting in there. I actually put a strip of electrical tape across where the windshield meets the fairing when I wash it. Cover for the face will be a must.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this is what i run on my bike and i love it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-X9600BHS.html

Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

for 10-20 bucks more - I'd take the 998 over the 9600.
I had the 9500 and loved it as well, but 998 has way more "advanced" audio options and the "issue" I had with the lack of playback options you can resolve by using the Kenwood Music Editor Light program (see other Thread).

Old 10-08-2015, 01:40 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Good point mouser, my alpine depict white light in center with blue outline.....with scrolling names of song, band, track, etc in while light.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 PM
bufbills
Road Master

Ok so I ordered the x998. I have a ss pn4.1000d and 62.11i x4. Any issues with the 2ohm speakers?

Quick Reply: Which Kenwood?