Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade on my FLHX. Your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 AM
iMAK79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What length do I need for ground and power cable all the way to the battery terminals? I will use the power cable (red cable) for ground as well, it came in 20' in length which is enough for both. And about the in-line fuse, where would be the best position to install it, close to battery? by how far?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:40 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by iMAK79
What length do I need for ground and power cable all the way to the battery terminals? I will use the power cable (red cable) for ground as well, it came in 20' in length which is enough for both. And about the in-line fuse, where would be the best position to install it, close to battery? by how far?
Yes, you can use the same wire for power and ground. Just make sure you clearly mark which one is power and ground, otherwise you will go through a few fuses (don't ask how I know, lol).

Get the fuse close to the battery. Leave yourself enough play to tuck the fuse holder out of the way. I'll get a picture if you want one of my two leads coming off my battery.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:44 AM
legoiii
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The length from battery to front fairing, I started with about 6 ft. of cable for each, but I then cut to fit. I used less than the 6' but I left a lil extra in the fairing just encase I had to do some re-adjusting of the amp.

Last edited by legoiii; 12-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:02 AM
iMAK79
Cruiser

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
Yes, you can use the same wire for power and ground. Just make sure you clearly mark which one is power and ground, otherwise you will go through a few fuses (don't ask how I know, lol).

Get the fuse close to the battery. Leave yourself enough play to tuck the fuse holder out of the way. I'll get a picture if you want one of my two leads coming off my battery.
Originally Posted by legoiii
The length from battery to front fairing, I started with about 6 ft. of cable for each, but I then cut to fit. I used less than the 6' but I left a lil extra in the fairing just encase I had to do some re-adjusting of the amp.
Appreciated with thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:06 AM
iMAK79
Cruiser

Today I have received the following items:

- Metra 99-9600 Harley Davidson 1998-2013 SDIN Kit
- Metra ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
- Metra 82-9601 Harley Davidson 98-13 / 6.5 to 6.75 inch Speaker Adapters

This weekend I will be busy dismantling the fairings. Wish I had the head unit available, would have been a great new year ride.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:41 PM
iMAK79
Cruiser

Now I am a bit stumbled at No.7...

In the installation instructions of Metra Speaker adapter the following is mentioned...

Here is the full installation instructions manual...

INST82-9601_web.pdf

Is it safe to remove the inner fairing supports?

Old 12-30-2016, 05:59 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Now I am a bit stumbled at No.7...

In the installation instructions of Metra Speaker adapter the following is mentioned...

Here is the full installation instructions manual...

INST82-9601_web.pdf

Is it safe to remove the inner fairing supports?
This is referring to the horizontal cross bracket. Not the main vertical bracket.
You'll put it back in once the adapter is in place. May possibly have to modify the hole on the speaker end of the brace though.

Last edited by SBates08; 12-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:21 PM
iMAK79
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBates08
This is referring to the horizontal cross bracket. Not the main vertical bracket.
You'll put it back in once the adapter is in place. May possibly have to modify the hole on the speaker end of the brace though.
Yes it's the horizontal cross bracket. Could you please clarify more about the modification, I didn't get it right. And is this adapter the best for the Infinity Kappa 62.11i? I think one side of the speaker rubber ring is touching the adapter.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes it's the horizontal cross bracket. Could you please clarify more about the modification, I didn't get it right. And is this adapter the best for the Infinity Kappa 62.11i? I think one side of the speaker rubber ring is touching the adapter.
Here's a pic of a similar speaker adapter installed and a pic of the 62.11i installed and the bracket. With the speaker adapter off, you can screw the speaker to the adapter and check for fitment.

Attached Thumbnails Audio upgrade on my FLHX. Your thoughts please.-speaker-adapter.jpg   Audio upgrade on my FLHX. Your thoughts please.-bracket.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

IMO this is one of the better 6.5" adapters. The rubber surround should be fine. If you want to double check it to be certain, install on of the speakers to the adapter while it's off the bike. This will make it easier to see inside and know for certain. As far as modding the brace, sometimes it's as simple as elongating the hole at the end for the speaker screw to align properly. I have seen it where it was just easier to drill a new hole in the brace. Hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade on my FLHX. Your thoughts please.