Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade Boom system with R/F tm400x4ad

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts
Question Looking to upgrade Boom system with R/F tm400x4ad

As my profile states, I have a boom amp, lid speakers and, I think, stock fairing speakers. As you might guess, it sounds ok, but, not great. I have no clue what speakers are in my fairing. I really didn't know what to ask for, when I purchased my '15 SGS. After putting over 5,000 mi. on the Odometer, I've grown to long for a better sound. A buddy of mine mentioned the aforementioned system, but, with a slight alteration to mounting system within my fairing. I was very hesitant on cutting on my new ride, so, I passed. Last weekend, I was at Eastern performance, and they too, recommended this set up. I never mentioned my buddies suggestion. So, I've decided to do the upgrade. My questions are: has anyone else done this same set up? The speakers are 6 3/4". If so, how much altering is needed? Last, both of them recommend I keep the boom speakers already in the lids, until I kill them. When I do, what 5x7's are the best choice? Anyway, thanks, in advance, for your inputs.

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 02-16-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:34 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Haven't used the Fosgate speakers but I have used a TM400x4ad and I loved it. You have plenty of options for mounting it, yaffe has a mount specifically for that amp.

The Fosgate stuff is what yaffe uses in all the bagger nation setups take that for what its worth, haters will always hate

I thought I saw a thread a few weeks ago with someone installing those speakers, maybe search and see but they should bolt right in. If you have any rubbing you can always add the biketronics adapter rings, they give you a little more angle as their wedge shaped.

As for the rears, well you have so many options it all depends on how much you want ot spend and what your searching for in terms of sound.

Welcome to the madness, I don't think it ever ends

Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

If you're gonna go with the High speed Rockford Fosgate amp IMO it deserves better speakers than the Rockford T1675's. They are "Okay" but will not blow you away. I've had and installed these speakers a few times. The Polk MM651's sound better than these speakers. If I were you I'd go with the Focal KRC's in the fairing and when you get ready to switch out your 5 x 7's go with the JL C5 570x speakers. They are the best sounding 5x7's I've ran across and I've pretty much tried em all. If not the 5x7 JL's the 5x7 Biketronics Hat's or the Infinity Kappa 682.11cf speakers. That's my .02

The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (04-30-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Do you have the Boom 5X7's? I'm trying to think back, but I think those are bi-amps for the woofer and tweeter with no passive crossover. I believe those are crossed at the two amps. So if you try connecting them to a regular amp it wouldn't work. Double check how those are connected to the Boom amp.

Agree with Gann. That amp sounds pretty damn good, but there is better speakers out there.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Do you have the Boom 5X7's? I'm trying to think back, but I think those are bi-amps for the woofer and tweeter with no passive crossover. I believe those are crossed at the two amps. So if you try connecting them to a regular amp it wouldn't work. Double check how those are connected to the Boom amp.

Agree with Gann. That amp sounds pretty damn good, but there is better speakers out there.
^^^^
Yeah That!

Hopefully he rips all the BOOM stuff out of there and starts from scratch.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bunker
Haven't used the Fosgate speakers but I have used a TM400x4ad and I loved it. You have plenty of options for mounting it, yaffe has a mount specifically for that amp.

The Fosgate stuff is what yaffe uses in all the bagger nation setups take that for what its worth, haters will always hate

I thought I saw a thread a few weeks ago with someone installing those speakers, maybe search and see but they should bolt right in. If you have any rubbing you can always add the biketronics adapter rings, they give you a little more angle as their wedge shaped.

As for the rears, well you have so many options it all depends on how much you want ot spend and what your searching for in terms of sound.

Welcome to the madness, I don't think it ever ends
Thanks for the responses everyone... I really don't know what Harley put in my lids, to tell the truth. I didn't think to ask. I've never had a bike with an audio system till now.

I've checked into some of these speakers that were suggested, and they don't seem to work with my '15. Am I wrong? Also, are these all water resistant? Those JL's look good. As do the Focal's. I read some reviews, and no one said they fit beyond '13's. Crutch field says these don't fit. Do they? And are they direct fit? If so, I'm in! Thanks again.

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 04-29-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:55 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, agreeing with Gann and Haze about the amp and speakers...

Second, you have 5x7s that come from HD. You can run 6x9s and have been using adapters from Vtwin for my customers (I'm not a dealer for them, but have been happy with the product). They'll easily let you bolt up any 6x9 to the factory lids.

Let me know if you need any pricing on anything my man, I carry every brand.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Originally Posted by LL247
First off, agreeing with Gann and Haze about the amp and speakers...

Second, you have 5x7s that come from HD. You can run 6x9s and have been using adapters from Vtwin for my customers (I'm not a dealer for them, but have been happy with the product). They'll easily let you bolt up any 6x9 to the factory lids.

Let me know if you need any pricing on anything my man, I carry every brand.
I saw previous posts by others that have done that modification. Sounds kind of tricky. And, I'm afraid of losing the water resistance I have now. My buddy was telling me that RF is about to come out with a direct replacement 5x7 that sounds promising. I know it won't have the same sound, as a 6x9, but, I don't want headaches either. I will keep doing research on this topic, for when the day comes that I kill the boom ****. After all, it's only money

Old 05-01-2016, 04:06 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

There are quite a few better 5X7's than anything fosgate. I'd look at the Biketronics one is your concern is water.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
I saw previous posts by others that have done that modification. Sounds kind of tricky. And, I'm afraid of losing the water resistance I have now. My buddy was telling me that RF is about to come out with a direct replacement 5x7 that sounds promising. I know it won't have the same sound, as a 6x9, but, I don't want headaches either. I will keep doing research on this topic, for when the day comes that I kill the boom ****. After all, it's only money
Water is not an issue with hydrophobic cloth. Cycle sounds makes some just for the lids or you can make your own.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade Boom system with R/F tm400x4ad