Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cutting Grill Holes for Tweeters

I'll be cutting holes in my speaker grills for the DD -T2 tweeter.

I know that most of you use a hole saw, which is okay, as long as the bit doesn't hang-up and you bugger up the edges of the hole in your grill.

I bought this adjustable hole saw at Sears more than 30 years ago. It's been used it to cut plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass, aluminum, steel & stainless steel, all with the same cutting blade that came with it.

It's meant to be used on a drill press, operating at various RPM's, depending on the materials being cut.

It won't replace a hole saw for work in the field or in hard to reach areas but it can't be beat for cutting neat, clean, precision holes in a shop setting. Plus, you don't need dozens of hole saw bits laying around.

Adjustment starts at 1 3/4" diameter and goes up from there, so it should work perfectly for cutting the tweeter holes.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Attached Thumbnails We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!-img_1218.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
I'll be cutting holes in my speaker grills for the DD -T2 tweeter.

I know that most of you use a hole saw, which is okay, as long as the bit doesn't hang-up and you bugger up the edges of the hole in your grill.

I bought this adjustable hole saw at Sears more than 30 years ago. It's been used it to cut plastic, carbon fiber, fiberglass, aluminum, steel & stainless steel, all with the same cutting blade that came with it.

It's meant to be used on a drill press, operating at various RPM's, depending on the materials being cut.

It won't replace a hole saw for work in the field or in hard to reach areas but it can't be beat for cutting neat, clean, precision holes in a shop setting. Plus, you don't need dozens of hole saw bits laying around.

Adjustment starts at 1 3/4" diameter and goes up from there, so it should work perfectly for cutting the tweeter holes.

Anyway, just wanted to share.
Nice piece of machinery there!!!

Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Ranger - Have any pics of the finished product?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

I haven't made as much progress on my system as I'd hoped. Work keeps getting in the way.

Check out my other thread for a look at the DD-T2 tweeters in the Hogtune grills....with & without speaker cloth:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...er-grills.html

Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Default Installation in Progress

I got some time to work on my installation today, so I mocked-up how I wanted everything to be placed.

...Biketronics mounting plate - drilled & tapped holes to mount amp

...JL Audio MHX 280/4 amp - bridged to 2 channels (Rated at 140 watts RMS but actual tests show it to be around 185 watts)

...Digital Designs cross-overs for the T2 tweeters

...Biketronics BT355 line leveler

...Male to Male to Male RCA "Y" cable - to split the signal to the amp inputs (I still have a few sets for sale)

...Hogtunes speaker grills covered with speaker cloth

...Digital Designs T2 tweeters

The controls for the amp are on the bottom, so the cross-overs & line leveler are "temporarily" attached, until I get everything adjusted with a voltmeter.

Speaker installation is next on the agenda.

Attached Thumbnails We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!-img_1242.jpg   We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!-img_1243.jpg   We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!-img_1244.jpg   We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!-img_1228.jpg  

Last edited by WestTexasRanger; 01-18-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

That's gonna be a damn clean install!!! Very nice!!!

T

Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Just from a curiosity stand point, would 2 of those JL Audio amps fit under the hood?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Just from a curiosity stand point, would 2 of those JL Audio amps fit under the hood?
My current max size on the JM Tray is 10 3/4 x 6.75 x 2. These JL 280x4 are 8.66 x 3.09 x 1.77 thus 2 of them fit perfect on that tray. Cannot speak for the stocker tray.

T

Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
pdevore
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
I got some time to work on my installation today, so I mocked-up how I wanted everything to be placed.

...Biketronics mounting plate - drilled & tapped holes to mount amp

...JL Audio MHX 280/4 amp - bridged to 2 channels (Rated at 140 watts RMS but actual tests show it to be around 185 watts)

...Digital Designs cross-overs for the T2 tweeters

...Biketronics BT355 line leveler

...Male to Male to Male RCA "Y" cable - to split the signal to the amp inputs (I still have a few sets for sale)

...Hogtunes speaker grills covered with speaker cloth

...Digital Designs T2 tweeters

The controls for the amp are on the bottom, so the cross-overs & line leveler are "temporarily" attached, until I get everything adjusted with a voltmeter.

Speaker installation is next on the agenda.
Now this is a whole new meaning to speaker ****.... that pic of the 6.5" with the tweet looks like a boob.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by SBates08
On a Rushmore Batwing.....I'm going to say yes.

When I installed the amp, I could've moved it even further back on the Biketronics plate, but I wanted to screw it down at all four mounting points. If I had used Industrial Velcro, I could've moved it back another 1/2" or so.

Also, there's a 1/2" clearance between the top of the amp and bottom of the fairing vent, so I think that adding another amp in front will still allow the slope of the front fairing to clear.

Disclaimer: I'm not where I can actually take measurements of the clearances, so the 1/2" I'm quoting is subject to verification, but should be fairly close.

The following users liked this post:
FrenchieM (09-21-2017)

Quick Reply: We're LIVE -- These are my favorite components!