Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your system stack up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How does your system stack up?

Not sure how to say this so it makes sense so bare with me.

All the reading and research I do on here still leaves me with a lot of unanswered questions.
I do not live near anyone that is into bike audio so this page and you guys are it. Don't get me wrong the info and guys offering it are the best.

My main question (lately) is how will my system stand up to others. I do not plan to enter competitions but what if I wanted to?

I know the system in my Road King would not cut it in a competition but how much more would it take? (I'm planning my next...)

So for a example my system is:
Kenwood Hu 2v pre amp.
4- 5.25 kappas and Cerwin Vega B4 in fairing.
4- 693.9i kappas and a RZ4 2000d in bags.

For the guys in the know, what would this system put out when it is put up to a meter?

I think it would be great if guys would post up what they have/had and where it stands as far as competition so some of us can get a better feel as to what we really have or are looking to put together.

Not looking to have the guys that are seriously competing to give secrets. Just like to know where the rest of us stand.

Thanks
Brad

Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Brad not to sound harsh brother but that wouldn't cut it. You need to run pro audio speakers to be anywhere near competitive, no one in competition circles is running coaxial or component speakers.

Last edited by BaggerAudioLab; 02-24-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

And there's two of us that are pretty deep into the audio that live here in Minnesota. One in Apple Valley and the other in Eden Prairie.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:03 AM
uplandpinter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
Brad not to sound harsh brother but that wouldn't cut it. You need to run pro audio speakers to be anywhere near competitive, no one in competition circles is running coaxial or component speakers.
I know that it won't cut it but my point is that all the talk and info on here and I (and quite a few others possibly ) still don't know how a system would stand up to others.

I guess what I am trying to get to is how the average guy can tell how a setup will preform compared to a competition setup. The system I used for a example was my first try and in the group I travel with it rocks. But I know it wont cut it in the comp. circles.

Maybe I should look at it differently.

For conversation purpose using my set up as an example lets say it would rank at a 3 in a scale from 1 to 10. 1 being bottom line budget and 10 legitimate competition.

What I am looking for is how I know or what it would take to get a system that would be a 7 or 8 on that scale.

The bottom line is with all the info I can get here I still do not know how a set up will stand up. You guys are great with the info you have but I still don't under stand....

Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Let's rephrase the question. What does a comp level system specifically entail?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
There's SPL and SQ. . . And then there's SQL which is basically a term that means nothing except a combination of the two. The competition guys go for the best of both worlds. They want LOUD and they want CLEAR!! As HAZE stated. The ONLY way you're gonna get to that level is Pro Audio speakers. If you are not running Pro Audio speakers the question is a moot point. In other words. With components and coaxial's the meter will never get high enough to compare.

Your system will "stand up" to the average Joe systems. But when you start talking about DB's and meters. It's an entirely different world. We call it "The dark side"
I'm pretty sure HAZE copyrighted the term. LOL!!

The guy with the pro audio speakers will blow away the component and coaxial guys all day everyday.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 PM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtMic
four to six 6.5 pro audio speakers
four to six 8's
two 10's
a 12 inch sub in the tourpack
six horns
2 batteries
3-4K watts.
Good HU
and a few other goodies.

Thats a pretty standard set up. Lots of variations though. You could do away with the tourpack sub and put four 8's in the tourpack and then 8 inch subs in the bags in they're own enclosure. You could do 8 inch lids or put three 6.5's across the lids or dual 6.5 and horns in dual 6x9 lids.

Lots of options. When ever someone's ready let me know!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by BaggerAudioLab:
kcblaze (02-26-2017), SgtMic (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I'll find out where mine will stand on June 10th, but after seeing who will be competing in my division i might just concede after hearing one of these legit shop guy's bikes lol.

I'm gonna be in the 8 speaker and under with no sub.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BaggerAudioLab
four to six 6.5 pro audio speakers
four to six 8's
two 10's
a 12 inch sub in the tourpack
six horns
2 batteries
3-4K watts.
Good HU
and a few other goodies.

Thats a pretty standard set up. Lots of variations though. You could do away with the tourpack sub and put four 8's in the tourpack and then 8 inch subs in the bags in they're own enclosure. You could do 8 inch lids or put three 6.5's across the lids or dual 6.5 and horns in dual 6x9 lids.

Lots of options. When ever someone's ready let me know!!!
If we use this set up as a generic standard (for discussion purposes) and put it at the top of the 1 to 10 scale. Where would a more standard setup fall in place on the scale?

Such as one with.
A good quality HU
A pair of 6.5 DD and horns In fairing
6.5 in lowers
A set of Pioneer 6900 in lids
With amp/amps to run them.

Think were getting closer.
Brad

Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 PM
Cheesehead_13
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
I'll find out where mine will stand on June 10th, but after seeing who will be competing in my division i might just concede after hearing one of these legit shop guy's bikes lol.

I'm gonna be in the 8 speaker and under with no sub.
Where?

Quick Reply: How does your system stack up?