Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHTK Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:37 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Your also going to need these adapters to mount the Kappas in the fairing. One thing to keep in mind about the Kappas is that they're way underrated. They will handle a good amount of power and sound damn good for a budget speaker. As far as amp wiring kits goes you can usually source individual pieces cheaper than buying a kit.
Amazon Amazon
I also like to use these PreInsulate Ferrules on my speaker wires when using amps and speakers with screw terminals.
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I went with the SS PN2 350. Is there a mounting kit I should purchase. Or do you just make do with something else?

Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Brockman
So, I went with the SS PN2 350. Is there a mounting kit I should purchase. Or do you just make do with something else?
A mount bracket is not needed unless you'd prefer to have the amp bolted in place. The amp is small enough to sit on top of the HU. At a minimum I'd find something to make some 1/4" spacers to go between the HU and amp for air circulation and use some industrial Velcro to hold it all in place.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

First round of deliveries!!

Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

Got my Aquatic installed this afternoon. Can anyone help with the rears? It seems I need to splice into something, but the instructions don't tell me where.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations about where to get my speaker wire and power wires for the amp?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Got my Aquatic installed this afternoon. Can anyone help with the rears? It seems I need to splice into something, but the instructions don't tell me where.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations about where to get my speaker wire and power wires for the amp?
These
spacers spacers
should work for the TP pods.

And
this this
wiring kit.

You'll also need a pair of RCA cables 18" long

Old 03-28-2017, 06:01 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

you will have to find the 4 speaker wires that run to the rear pods. they will be in the 35 pin plug that was on your stock head unit. a service manual is a huge help there. those 4 wires(pos and neg) to each speaker will be powered by your rear channels on amp or rear channels on head unit. as im typing this i forgot if you have a 4 channel amp or 2 channel
seeing you got a 2 channel amp, the rears can be hooked directly to the head unit pigtail plug, if that is how they are still built, i have a gen 1, small square plug in rear of head unit to power speakers directly
in all honesty, id return the pn350 and get a pn 1000 and run all 4 kappas on an amped channel, but thats just me

Last edited by yooperhog; 03-28-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

Thanks bertk for the wiring kit link. Ordered one from amazon and it's on its way. Also, after doing a bunch of searching, either I'm searching the wrong thing or it's not there, I can't find the gain voltage settings for my Soundstream PN2.350D 350W. Does anyone have that info?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks bertk for the wiring kit link. Ordered one from amazon and it's on its way. Also, after doing a bunch of searching, either I'm searching the wrong thing or it's not there, I can't find the gain voltage settings for my Soundstream PN2.350D 350W. Does anyone have that info?
Check out the sticky at the top of the main page "Setting Amplifier Gains". Target voltage for 175watts @ 2ohm should be 18.7vac.

Here are a few tips for setting the gains using a DMM.

Test Tones can be downloaded here.
Most will be using the 1000Hz 0dB or 1000Hz -5dB tone.
If you use USB to play your music, copy the desired tone to a blank USB drive. On the HU set it to repeat.

Disconnect all speakers from the amp outputs!!!
Do not run a test tone through a crossover network!!!

On HU set Bass, Treble & Fade
Set AVC or Speed Volume to Off
Set amp to Full Pass, All Pass depending on the amp
Turn any Bass Boost on amp Off or to Minimum

Turn HU volume and amp gains all the way down
Connect DMM leads to the correct speaker outputs on the amp depending on Bridged or Non-Bridged
If you don't know where the HU starts to clip set volume to 3/4
Slowly increase the Gain level to reach the target VAC
Now confirm that the battery is fully charged, start the bike and let it warm up and recheck the target VAC and readjust the gains as needed.
To take it a step further remove the test tone, connect the speakers. Then fine tuned by ear using a familiar song, just don't go over the target VAC. The xover's can be set at this time also.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

Hey all, install is finished and I Love It!

Those Kappa's really sing all amp'd up! Got to take it back apart though, got a bad connection on my rears that I need to fix. But other than that. It's awesome!

Totally recommend my setup to anyone. I'll be adding some pictures later. Thanks everyone who helped!

Quick Reply: 2010 FLHTK Audio upgrades