Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHTK Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 FLHTK Audio upgrades

Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking do a couple months and have really tried to do my research, I'm looking to upgrade my audio on my 2010 ultra limited. My wife has given me a 800 dollar budget and I'm having a hard time finding what I need. My bike has quick release for the tour pack, and I primarily ride it without the tour pack. So, here's what I'm looking for.

Need better sound for me as I tend to ride the bike daily during the week back and forth to work and I'm on the interstate for 25 minutes.
Want the be able to remove and add my tour pack on the fly.
Want the rear speakers to work when the tour pack is installed.

Thoughts and thanks in advance!!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Brockman
Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking do a couple months and have really tried to do my research, I'm looking to upgrade my audio on my 2010 ultra limited. My wife has given me a 800 dollar budget and I'm having a hard time finding what I need. My bike has quick release for the tour pack, and I primarily ride it without the tour pack. So, here's what I'm looking for.

Need better sound for me as I tend to ride the bike daily during the week back and forth to work and I'm on the interstate for 25 minutes.
Want the be able to remove and add my tour pack on the fly.
Want the rear speakers to work when the tour pack is installed.

Thoughts and thanks in advance!!
You're looking at a Six speaker system. You need speakers in the upper and lower fairing and a set of drop in's for the rear pods with quick disconnects. That means you need a powerful four channel amp in the fairing.

The first question we always ask other than budget is do you want to keep your FM radio and are you going to be running the stock HU?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

Fm tuner isn't necessary. I run my phone and Spotify almost all the time.

Ways planning on keeping stock head. Not sure I need to drop ins. Could I run nice bat wings, amp those and then just power the rears with the head unit like they are now?

Last edited by Jeremiah Brockman; 03-19-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Do u have lowers?

T

Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah - You could do that. So now you're looking at a two speaker system. An amp in the fairing and two speakers. Plenty options there with your budget.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

So, new head unit, amp, front speakers. Then run from head unit to amp, then amp to front speakers, then run from head unit to test speakers.

Note the question, which amp and which head unit? I really like the look of the aquatic head unit.

Last edited by Jeremiah Brockman; 03-22-2017 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jeremiah Brockman
So, new head unit, amp, front speakers. Then run from head unit to amp, then amp to front speakers, then run from head unit to test speakers.

Note the question, which amp and which head unit? I really like the look of the aquatic head unit.
I'm not an aquatic fan but if you like it I'd say go for it. No bang for the buck. It's gonna blow the hell out of you $800 budget. The nice one is about $600 bucks. Sony or Kenwood would be my choice. On the other hand by the the time you purchase a install kit for your handle bar controls to work. you're still looking at about $300-400 bucks. So the cheap aquatic for about $300 bucks might be the ticket.

Hypothetically, if I were going to install a system in a 2010 Ultra limited. I'd go 4 speakers. Upper and lower fairing since you ride on the interstate 25 minutes a day. You need some sound in your face bro. But you can get by with two speakers if you have the right set up.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Jeremiah Brockman
Novice

Alright, after going back and forth between Hogtunes, BikeTronics, and everything in between, I think I'm going to piece my system together.

This is what I'm thinking of doing:
Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H
RF PBR300X2
Infinity Kappa 62.11

Going to keep the rears stock (for now) and run them off the head unit
What I'd like to know, is there any additional stuff I need to buy to do the install? The head unit is easy, that comes with everything I need. But what about the amp, and the speakers? I'm currently buying everything off amazon. Also, should I get the 4 channel to be use at a later date if I need to?

Thouhts? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm not familiar with the aquatic. What options does it have for outputs - the 300x2 prefers high level outputs.

If you decide to go 4 channel the pbr 300x4 is a poor choice, steer clear of it.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Since keeping FM isn't a priority I'd bypass that amp and go with a Soundstream pn2.350 or the Cerwin Vega B52 with those Kappas.
Or for a 4ch there's the SS pn4.1000 or CV B54

Quick Reply: 2010 FLHTK Audio upgrades