Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a DSP be a benefit to my system question and answer thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM
catdaddy6968
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
the harness to access the remote from the boom unit.
which harness is that ?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

JL xd400/4v2 to DD aw6.5 with at at28's tweets in fairing. Bridged feeding roughly 200 per.
JL mx280/4 bridged roughly 160( if memory serves me correct) to focal krc 165 (original models) in tourpack.
Custom wire harness from HU to 2 Navone line levelers then into TWK 88 DSP.
6.5 HU

This is a 4 speaker system and was going to be a 6 speaker system but wife vetoed subs in bags since I'm going full out on my 2017 custom build.
Any thoughts on it and the DSP setup? There are many others that want a 4 speaker setup with DSP to eliminate the "limitations" of the BT LL with the 6.5 HU.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddy6968
which harness is that ?
purple and black wire that leads into a plastic plug. Your dealer will happily sell you a splitter for a few bucks and you should plug the DSP switched 12V into (purple) That would be the RED wire from the DSP going to the Accessory power.

The reason I think you're getting a bad noise is the BLUE wire from the DSP needs to connect to the switched 12V on your amp(s). You're powering the DSP and then letting the DSP switch your amps on, you should not have your blue amp wire running to the same splice as your DSP red wire. That's a no no. If you've got it wired correctly, disregard.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
JL xd400/4v2 to DD aw6.5 with at at28's tweets in fairing. Bridged feeding roughly 200 per.
JL mx280/4 bridged roughly 160( if memory serves me correct) to focal krc 165 (original models) in tourpack.
Custom wire harness from HU to 2 Navone line levelers then into TWK 88 DSP.
6.5 HU

This is a 4 speaker system and was going to be a 6 speaker system but wife vetoed subs in bags since I'm going full out on my 2017 custom build.
Any thoughts on it and the DSP setup? There are many others that want a 4 speaker setup with DSP to eliminate the "limitations" of the BT LL with the 6.5 HU.
With the setup already there I don't see the dsp as beneficial as on the new build. Especially with the twk already there.Don't fix what isn't broke. I still think on a case by case basis will see how this will play out. Again fear is too many getting too deep into these on rushmore and just making a simplified LL process and giant mess if inexperienced with tuning.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cpbedor
purple and black wire that leads into a plastic plug. Your dealer will happily sell you a splitter for a few bucks and you should plug the DSP switched 12V into (purple) That would be the RED wire from the DSP going to the Accessory power.

The reason I think you're getting a bad noise is the BLUE wire from the DSP needs to connect to the switched 12V on your amp(s). You're powering the DSP and then letting the DSP switch your amps on, you should not have your blue amp wire running to the same splice as your DSP red wire. That's a no no. If you've got it wired correctly, disregard.
Chris maybe I am misunderstanding the post made about the turn on noise but sounded like the dsp was purchased to give a turn on delay that could be done using the mentioned harness vs using cig lighter. Then for that setup the dsp would not be very much of a need as the build is simple enough the tuning will yield minimal gains

Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Chris maybe I am misunderstanding the post made about the turn on noise but sounded like the dsp was purchased to give a turn on delay that could be done using the mentioned harness vs using cig lighter. Then for that setup the dsp would not be very much of a need as the build is simple enough the tuning will yield minimal gains
Agreed that for that application, a DSP is likely unneeded but since he already has one, I figured I would help him troubleshoot why he's getting a pop on startup. He can absolutely connect red from DSP to the same accessory power as the amp but if he's connecting red and the blue from the DSP to the accessory power, it wouldn't be a surprise that he's getting a pop. We're all trained to see a blue wire and route it directly to the accessory power, as it is the universal remote turn on color but in the case of the Arc DSP, that blue wire is supplying the turn on to the amp INSTEAD of the accessory power/cig lighter. Just trying to help his strange noise upon startup. I was unclear how he has it wired but that makes the most sense to me.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
catdaddy6968
Advanced

Sorry guys for being unclear, I was getting the noise thru the speakers before I purchased the DSP. I had the amp remote turn on wired to the cigarette lighter and it powered on before the radio so I purchased the PSM (mistake no.1) I also thought it could defeat the frequency loss by the Harley Boom 6.5 when the engine is running. (mistake no.2)

Old 03-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Curious as to what u mean by mistake #2.

T

Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T
Definitely some communication breakdown here. The DSP will do the job, but just was not or is not needed for the original issue. IT will correct the Boom units signal but in this small build a LL would have been fine. No mistakes here, just a little research could have saved a few bucks. You got the unit, assume it is installed and doing it's part. Enjoy it and ride on.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 PM
catdaddy6968
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T
HD MOTORCYCLE APPLICATION TECHNICAL BULLETIN If you ae planning on using the PSM on any 2014+ HD Motorcycle please note that the Factory HD radio has crossovers built into the factory HD radio which will limit the frequency response from your factory source below 100Hz. Much like any DSP or amplifier on the market the PSM can only reproduce and correct signals that are provided to it. As such the PSM cannot create specific frequencies and can only process frequencies of signal that are being provided to it from your source.

Quick Reply: Will a DSP be a benefit to my system question and answer thread